Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Davy Spillane Low D Review

Post by Bloomfield »

This is not just a review; it is a story.

There is a long version to the story of the Davy Spillane Low D, and there is a short version.

The short version: I have a Davy Spillane Low D. Yes, it exists. It looks a lot like a Howard Low D. It's not a very good whistle.

No, this is not it.

To tell the longer version, I'll have to reach back a bit in history... whistle history and whistle mystery. Yes, mystery surrounds the Davy Spillane low D. In pictures and videos of his famous Riverdance performances, Spillane plays a whistle that looks remarkably like an Overton. But Spillane apparently has repeatedly insisted that he does not play an Overton low D, but a whistle that he himself made. Thing is no one has ever seen this Spillane Low D, nor is there anyone known to have been able to order one from Spillane, although Spillane advertised these whistles at various times. And Spillane is known to own a big-hole Overton low D.

On the chiffboard meantime, the Davy Spillane low D took on mythical status and reports of it were treated as apocryphal. There were jokes, unpleasant (and I daresay unfair) remarks were passed, there was an air of indignation, and whistlers from Utah offered advice on customer relations for whistle makers. A "professional" MUSICIAN from Illinois started channelling Spillane, or claimed to do so anyway. A normal day on chiff & fipple, in short.

Here is a selected chronicle of the more recent history: An early inqury (with a remarkably perceptive response by Zubivka); the announcement of the plastic-head Spillanes is met with skepticism; Spillane sighted playing an Overton; further speculation and all that; the plot thickens; renewed attempts by Bloomfield. I gave up on pooling funds since I was not hearing back from Spillane. Then, in early 2005, I did hear back. I sent the money, and the whistle was shipped.

Davy Spillane Low D. (click here to enlarge)

The Spillane low D that finally surfaced is a "Howard" style low D (aluminium tube with plastic head) not an "Overton" style low D (all aluminium). Before I get into reviewing the whistle, I would just like to make the following comment on the mystery surrounding the Spillane low D. If I were in Spillane's role of fame and glory, I would not want be associated with a particular whistle, unless I really endorsed it, or made money from it. I shouldn't wonder that Spillane hasn't in the past had a whistle pushed on him, only to hear the maker then claim that "Spillane plays XYZ whistles." Even if that wasn't the case, as Davy Spillane I'd be careful and generally shy about confirming rumors that I play this or that instrument. Fun to speculate about mystery whistles, of course, but I never quite understood why people would get so upset with Spillane (if you do understand, please don't try to explain it to me; I've heard it).

Alba low D, blue new-style Howard low D, Spillane low D, recent Overton low D. (click here to enlarge)

Now on to the review proper.

The Spillane has a pleasant, slightly breathy sound. It is on the quiet side. I've recorded a couple of clips, to give an impression. Here is a jig, The Blooming Meadows (you'll forgive my playing). What I hope is apparent is that the tuning is fairly good (the low E and to a lesser extent the high e are slightly sharp). I don't think the whistle is well balanced: the bottom end is weak compared to the upper octave, and in order to blow the second octave in tune, you are blowing quite a bit harder and the whistle is quite a bit louder. In fact, the low E and D are weak and fragile, and break or flip easily.

In terms of backpressure, the Spillane requires a bit but not much: More than my Alba or Howard, less than my Overton. It would be a pleasant enough whistle to play if it weren't prone to clogging. That's a fixable problem, of course, and the soap trick should do it. But without that, I found myself clearing the windway frequently and when playing a set of tunes, the clogging made the tone thinner and more fragile after a while.

Here is a comparison: Another jig, Garrett Barry's, played first on the Spillane, then on a Colin-Goldie Overton, finally on a new-style Howard. It's all subjective, of course, but to my ear the Spillane doesn't have the Cosmic tone of the Overton, but is similar to the Howard, if not as forceful. And to round things out, here is a slow air played on the Spillane, By the Side of the Rock (from A Dossan of Heather).

The Spillane low D is not particularly well made. The aluminium tube is brushed, but the finish doesn't look professional. That doesn't bother me much; it does bother me, though, that there is residue stuck inside some of the tone-holes. The tube inside the head was obviously cut with a tube cutter, and there are sharp and uneven edges. The head is made from injection-molded plastic. The mold is misaligned, giving a ring just at the edge of the windway (a bit like the Kerry heads). The Spillane has a narrow beak, which makes it remarkably comfortable to play.

Davy Spillane Low D head. Notice the plastice bit inside the head, catching the light. (click here to enlarge)

Davy Spillane Low D head from the side. (click here to enlarge)

Looking closely at the head you can see the uneven color (indicating uneven molding temperatures, I think). The molded head was apparently mashined, leaving marks. Inside the windway, there is a square bit of plastic sticking out, which should have been removed. All this gives the Spillane a cheap or slightly amateurish feel---nothing wrong with that, except that the whistle cost 200 Euros, which is pricey.

I include here a series of pictures. Mostly comparisons with other whistles, which will bring me to the last point of my review.

Davy Spillane Low D head next to an old-style (well-loved) Howard head. Notice the similar bevels on the blade. (click here to enlarge)

For comparison: new-style Howard head (on a poststructural bath rug). (click here to enlarge)

Apart from the minor differences, such as the narrowness of the beak, the slight flattening of the top of the beak, and the bevel of the ramp (which resembles the old-style Howard more than then the new-style), the head of the Spillane bears more than a passing resemblance to the new-style Howard head. The Howard low D is considerably cheaper than the Spillane, of course, uses thin brass tube rather than a thick aluminium tube, and is better-made, at least to my layman's eye.

For comparison, from the top: Old-style Howard, recent Overton, Spillane, big-hole Overton. (click here to enlarge)

As you can tell, the Howard is a bit shorter than the Spillane or the Overtons, which has to do with the wider inside diameter of the Howard. In the picture posted further up, you can see the Spillane next to a new-style Howard. Take a look at the hole spacing: The Spillane hole-spacing is very close to the Howard (only hole sizes are differnt, as you'd expect), but to my mind is identical (or very nearly so), to the big-hole Overton.

Hole patterns, from the top: Old-style Howard, Spillane, big-hole Overton. (click here to enlarge)

Seems to me that the Spillane low D was inspired by (if not copied from) the Howard head and the tube of a big-hole Overton. For the price, I'd expect the whistle to play well, which it doesn't. That is subjective to a certain extent, I know, but I can't see a professional player using this whistle.

There you have it. A shred of the Spillane mystery remains, in that we haven't seen an Overton-style all-aluminium Spillane low D. But perhaps the Howard-style Spillane is enough.

And the oddest thing of all: The Spillane isn't signed or stamped "Spillane," reducing its sentimental value to Spillane fans.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed May 18, 2005 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Thank you for the excellent review.I appreciated the effort, time and considerable expense on your part to solve one of the great whistle mysteries.Links , pictures ,sound clips. I give the review an A+. These whistles just may end up in the Shannon duty free shop and would do much better if Spillane were stamped on them.Thank you Bloomfield :thumbsup:
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

An excellent presentation there Bloomfield.
Looks like this little saga will drag on and on....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

An excellent review,Bloomfield-thanks for the time and hard work that you've spent solving this mystery.
I'd fully expected the Spillane low D to appear on the 'Urban myths and legends' board of 'Fortean Times' anyday now! :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

My thanks to Bloomfield for taking the plunge and then providing an exceptionally thorough and useful review.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

And we were beginning to think that the Spillane Whistle was as much a phantasm as a...well... as a Spillane post!
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Super work, Bloo (apart from referring to me as a "hack from Utah"...but, I've been called worse). Are these whistles available somewhere now? Not that I want one - I don't. But I'm wondering if this was a prototype or if he's actually got these in stock somewhere, readily available to his FANS.

Susan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

What proof do we have that Bloomfield actually wrote this and, for that matter, that said "Spillane" whistle is real? Could be a still wider hoax, eh Watson? :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

susnfx wrote:Are these whistles available somewhere now? Not that I want one - I don't. But I'm wondering if this was a prototype or if he's actually got these in stock somewhere, readily available to his FANS.
I sent this email to Spillane at the addy Dale posted, in mid December 2004.
Bloomfield wrote: Hi,
I am interested in the new Davy Spillane low D. I am located in the
US. Could you please quote a price and s+h. Thanks
I waited two months for a response (which is why I lost heart and stopped trying to raise the necessary money up front on the chiffboard). Then I got this response:
Davy Spillan's Shop wrote:
Thank you for your enquiry.

We have Davys d low whistle in stock and can send right away !

LOW D 200 EURO+8 EURO P+P

ADDRESS AND PAYMENT DETAILS IF REQUIRED.

BANK DRAFT/CASHIERS CHEUQUE TO:

D SPILLANE

LOUGH SOUTH
LISCANNOR
CO, CLARE.
IRELAND

Thank you

John Mc Nicholas
instruments@davyspillane.com
After that it took me a couple of weeks to organize the payment (in Euros) and to get it to Spillane. Once they received the funds (by cashier's check drawn on a European bank), the whistle was shipped within a week.
/Bloomfield
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

That was a very nice review and I appreciate the honesty you put into it. Although I haven't played the Spillane it does sound according to your samples very much like the Howard.

No disrespect meant to you as the buyer, because I too have been caught up in the hype of buying a product not because of the quality of that product, but because of who made it. My point is that I think folks will buy this whistle just because its a Spillane, but I won't be one of them.

Atleast Bloomy who have done everyone one here a favor by putting the Spillane myth to rest...Once again thanks for a great review and your honesty.

PS: I have a picture of the Illinoisan you speak of and Spillane together in Ireland...I would give it too you, but the pic is personalized to me. :lol:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A great review! I especially appreciated having the comparisons where you could hear the whistles back to back--to me you can tell so much more about the sound this way.

All of those whistles respond well for you, but the sound of the Overton is outstanding.

Nice work, and great playing as well. :)

--James
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Bravo! You sacrificed much for us all. After reading this review, and calculating the effort it took to examine and compare a whistle as disappointing as this one, I'm going to buy you $20 worth of drinks next time I'm in town! I suggest others do the same.

The funny thing is, even with smoking gun in hand, to me the mystery has deepened. Does he really make them? Does he play them in concert? There's much more to this situation than it appears. Watson! Hand me my deerstalker and get me some good tobacco!

Cara
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

thurlowe wrote:Bravo! You sacrificed much for us all. After reading this review, and calculating the effort it took to examine and compare a whistle as disappointing as this one, I'm going to buy you $20 worth of drinks next time I'm in town! I suggest others do the same.

Cara
Thanks much Bloo! Very through. I'm in on the drinks. Any time you're in the Minneapolis area, stop by and we'lll celebrate the end of this mystery (that is unless you're not really Bloo and that this review is a government plot to rob us of our bodily fluids and..... :party: :D
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

thurlowe wrote:Bravo! You sacrificed much for us all. After reading this review, and calculating the effort it took to examine and compare a whistle as disappointing as this one, I'm going to buy you $20 worth of drinks next time I'm in town! I suggest others do the same.
Yes, drinks by all means. 8)

I'll be sending the whistle to Dale next so he can try it out. If anyone is interested in having a go (and there's not too many), I'd be happy to send the Spillane low D on a little tour.
/Bloomfield
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It does exist.