Calling all 8-key players

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've been lately singling out tunes that make me use accidentals or provide opportunities to use them. The Galway Hornpipe for the low Cnat and C#, Fnat and Eb keys, and I crossfinger the Bb, me being a "pipers' gripper"; sometimes I throw in a 2nd octave G# to groove into that jump to the high A. I like to play Sliabh Russel in Dm, so there's your short Fnat and low Cnat. For The Ebb Tide, I use both long and short Fnat keys and the low Cnat key. Ríl Bhéara utilises G# and Eb, and for The Drunken Sailor, G# is optional, I suppose, but I use both Fnats, the Eb, the low Cnat, and, usually, the upper Cnat key for the second octave.

There are others. Main thing is, so long as I've got keys, I want to be able to use 'em.

Low C# or Cnat as slide-in to low D is nice (insofar as you can slide a keyed note; I sort "bounce" up to the D from it); block-mounted low C#/Cnat keys, even padded, are still somewhat noisy. You lot with post-mounted keys got it nice.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Nano, "The Mountain Top" is a great G-minor tune.

I play it as a hornpipe, but thesession.org has it as a reel:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1966

It is quite challenging to get it clean and up to speed. Also great for getting solid on the two F keys as this tune needs both.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks; I'll have to check it out. The tune I know as The Mountain Top is a reel in G, but in the major key.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

nada
Last edited by rama on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

peeplj wrote:Nano, "The Mountain Top" is a great G-minor tune.

I play it as a hornpipe, but thesession.org has it as a reel:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1966

It is quite challenging to get it clean and up to speed. Also great for getting solid on the two F keys as this tune needs both.

--James
james,
that seems like a daunting task on the 'd' flute, more power to you. it would be a good exercise to pursue but the tune seems to sits so much nicer on different pitched flutes like f, c, and b-flat. so if performance was a goal, i'd opt for that. a tune that has only a few accidentals i'd keep on the 'd' flute, otherwise i'd consider switching keys; or look to switch pitch on the flute.
nice tune btw!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Just had some time to check it out, James, and all I can say is: good lord. I'm just a humble muck savage ITM player, nothing more. I don't even read key signatures like that. I'd have to sit down and very very slowly pick it out note-by-note and hope to get it right. I'm sure it's a very nice tune, though.

Wonder how it'd look transposed to Am...maybe then I could make an easier fist of it and transpose it back from there..
Denny

Post by Denny »

but Nano!!! the challenge...the, ah-------right bugger innit!

...enough to make ya reach for a Boehm :twisted:

James, thanks...next time I'm feeling masochistic I'll futz with it again!
phcook

Post by phcook »

My Aebi flute works very well: low c/c# (pewter plugs) easy to reach, I can almost get a hatd c. I also use the key for getting a high c for the first octave, for instance when I play descending notes quickly (GEDC for instance). Even like that, the c is in tune.

I've got an old flute which is presently overhauled by Stephane Morvan, I'll let you know.

Those keys are very useful for many Breton tunes
Breizh soner
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

The C# on my flute is reliable. To get a strong C, I need to hold my hand a certain way. So I can't really play a C unless it's the first note in the tune.

I play a Sweetheart.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
KateG

Post by KateG »

Fluti - you must have a good strong pinkie! When I tried playing Ralph Sweet's 8-key, I couldn't get the C or C# to sound -- whenever I had enough pressure on the key to seal it, one of the higher fingers started leaking.

On my Dave Williams, which I bought from Ralph, I have no problems hitting the low notes as long as the foot is aligned properly, and both the C & C# sound wonderful. I use them more in slow airs and non-ITM pieces at the moment, but I think that's more a reflection of my skill than the capabilities of the instrument.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

KateG wrote:Fluti - you must have a good strong pinkie! When I tried playing Ralph Sweet's 8-key, I couldn't get the C or C# to sound -- whenever I had enough pressure on the key to seal it, one of the higher fingers started leaking.

On my Dave Williams, which I bought from Ralph, I have no problems hitting the low notes as long as the foot is aligned properly, and both the C & C# sound wonderful. I use them more in slow airs and non-ITM pieces at the moment, but I think that's more a reflection of my skill than the capabilities of the instrument.
I think it is more in the position. I broke my RH ring finger when I was young, and so I sometimes have problems with that finger. I have learned that if I pay attention to keeping my right elbow up and in good position (for me) that I can get a better seal down there.

Sometimes, I wonder if this might be a solution to many of the people who are looking for small handed flutes.

Having that C and C# down there can really add a lot of fullness to our playing, can't it!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
KateG

Post by KateG »

fluti you may be right about position -- unfortunately, I didn't have time to really get to know Ralph's 8 key, and the Williams was calling to me with a siren song :D However, I agree with you completely about having the low notes. There's just something about being able to slither down to the very bottom of a song.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The keys on the Grinter 8-key are terrific, including
the bottom two. I don't mind the click of the plugs.
Charming.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

This is a quick-n-dirty recording I did this morning of me playing the Mountain Top on my Hammy.

http://flutesite.com/samples/mountaintop_hammy.mp3

This tune actually lies quite well on the keyed flute; don't let it intimidate you!

There are players here who can play circles around me. If I can learn this, so can you.

--James

P.S. This really is just a B-flat major tune, not G-minor. Sorry for giving the wrong key earlier.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, James! Much easier for me to hear it. I have a minimal acquaintance with The Dots, of course.

Bb, though...we'll see. Again, as one who uses the so-called "piper's grip", the Bb key is the one key that's out of the question for me, and lower-octave crossfingered Bb is a tad vague and fluffy. Still, it's worth a try. Anything to piss off the fiddlers. :wink: