Inexpensive whistle poll...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What's your favorite inexpensive whistle (<$15)

Clare
5%
Clarke Original
18%
Clarke Sweetone or Meg
21%
Feadog
21%
Generation
13%
Oak
11%
Walton's LBW
3%
Walton's Irish Whistle
2%
Walton's Mellow D
6%

Total votes: 112

Jason Paul

Inexpensive whistle poll...

Post by Jason Paul »

Can I just do this? Participate just for kicks?

For simplicity's sake, what's your favorite inexpensive whistle? I'm just listing some cheapies I'm seeing at The Whistle Shop.

I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but perhaps volume alone can contribute to a conclusion for us newbies.

I'm talking about overall playability, tone, tuning, and consistency. If it can't really be done, then it can't really be done. I have a friend who wants to get a couple of whistles. He doesn't like the feel of the Sweetone, and I'm not sure if he'd like the quirks of the Feadog. So I'm hoping this will help him, and help me with my next couple of cheapies.

Please list any specifics that would be helpful, such as brass vs. nickel, or one or two piece Clare, etc.

Anyway, we'll see if this goes anywhere.

Thanks,
Jason
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

I really like the Clarke Original. It's takes more air to play than do the other whistles, but the sound is mellow and full. Reliable whistle.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My favorite is not listed - Walton Golden Tone C.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jen f

Post by jen f »

My favorite by far is the Oak. I tend towards sweet, pure-sounding whistles, however. The Oak takes very little breath, is in good tune, and the upper register is not shrill or screechy. It can take some getting used to at first, as it requires more precise breath control than some other cheapies, but once you get used to it, it's wonderful.
regor

Post by regor »

Although I don't have an Oak, the one I tried wasn't bad at all if you like the sound. I like the Feadog, but it is a bit tricky. I was curious and just got a Generation D Brass whistle that I am slowly tweaking and it shows some potential. It improved significantly after cleaning the plastic fuzz, filling the fipple cavity with blue tak and blunting the blade ever-so-lightly (actually just rubbed a piece of balsam wood against it, didn't even used sand paper)...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Sorry Philo - I just listed the main ones I see currently listed (that would fit within the limits of the Poll Sizing Overlord).

Any other information - such as what characteristics you like about the whistle you've voted for - are appreciated as well.

I hadn't really considered the Oak myself, because of the nickel coating. But if it's a pure, sweet sound it might be an option for me at least.

Thanks,
Jason
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

One of each.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I clicked Feadog, but it's actually a nicely tweaked Feadog head that i use either on a Gen E flat tube or an Oak D tube.

If i had to pick an off the shelf one it would be the Clarke Original.

?
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I really like the Clarkes - They are sweet sounding and can be blown into tune (usually), they are more consistent in volume from octave 1 to 2. BUT they are quiet - and I like to play in company; Fiddles, Pipes, people laughing, tapping their feet and going "yeeehaaa!" So it's Feadog for me - but only after filling the gap under the windway!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Whit

Post by Whit »

I am a newbie who just got my first 2 whistles a few weeks ago.
I got a Tweaked Sweetone and a LBW.
I like them both, for different reasons.
THe LBW is louder, but more finicky. Once I get better breath and finger control, I think it'll be my fave of the two.
The Tweaked Sweetone is more forgiving, with a softer, mellow, breathier, tone, but its harder to pull the really high notes out of. It's my preffered one to practice with for now.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Jason Paul wrote:Sorry Philo - I just listed the main ones I see currently listed (that would fit within the limits of the Poll Sizing Overlord).

Any other information - such as what characteristics you like about the whistle you've voted for - are appreciated as well.

I hadn't really considered the Oak myself, because of the nickel coating. But if it's a pure, sweet sound it might be an option for me at least.

Thanks,
Jason
I had 4 of the Golden Tones, teacher had a couple, and they were all the same and consistently excellent. They had the traditional sound, yet were focused and well balanced - one of the better C whistles out there and at about $6.95 a pop, unbelievable value; too bad they're no longer being made.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I alternate between two or three Generations I have, an Oak and the occasional Feadog (whatever is handy). Each of those can vary so you want to try a few when your buying. Despite that, I maintain all this talk about them being unplayable is crap. I prefer them off the shelf, although the O'Briain tweak can be nice (am too cheap to spend 20 or so euro on them though).
I would never touch or recommend a Sweetone or Meg and don't care for the rolled/woodblocked Clarke much, I have played the odd half decent one but don't go for the type and don't own any.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Black Mage wrote:I really like the Clarke Original. It's takes more air to play than do the other whistles, but the sound is mellow and full. Reliable whistle.
Dude, Clarke Original all the way. The traditional sound cannot be beaten. Clarke is more expressive and definitely more mellow and sweet than any other inexpensive - and in my opinion any other high end - whistle.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Of those listed I'd say Clarke original too.

That said, the Freeman Tweaked Mellow dog is the best whistle under $40 in the world IMO.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Im sorry to say, but my Feadog is my worst whistle of the bunch. It cant hold a note in 2nd octave to save its life!

I have a couple of Sweetones. Not my favorite whistle, but a good beater whistle.. dont have to worry too much if I take it somewhere and it gets damaged.

I have a Waltons LBW as well and I totally love the sound of it. 2nd best to my most favorite inexpensive whistle of all - a Nickel Generation. They have the most purest and sweetest sound of all the inexpensive ones I have.