OT What's In A Name? II

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hillfolk22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hillfolk22 »

Hello Folks,

I can recall some time back a thread titled "What's In a Name?"

I believe it was about the names of whistle brands.

I have always wanted to ask this question since then.

What about the names you have chosen on this forum?

Some are obvious. It's you given name.
But what about the nicknames?

What creative energies were spent trying to come up with a good nickname for yourself and the meaning behind it?

I will be the first to submit mine.

I live on a hill overlooking the west side of town and a glass factory which I wish would vanish :smile: however in the distance there is another hill. WOW!

It has been said that this area is the beginning foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Hmmm... I play the mountain dulcimer and dabble in folk music, Thus the folk.

As for the 22... has nothing to do with my age (unless you multiply that by 2 and take away 3) nor does it have anything to do with me longing to be 22 again. It's just a number.

Since we have been flooded with Off Topic subjects. Why not make another one. Of course if your nickname is related to whistles, well, then we are on topic!

So what's the story behing your name?

Laura
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Interesting subject! Unfortunately, I can not contribute with anything exciting since I just use my real name.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Maybe this is my real name, and I'm a really open person who has never had a nickname in his life, but maybe, just maybe...

I'm totally devious and using the name of the American actor who played Tod Styles in Route 66 during the early 60s....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I think my signature pretty much gives away the meaning behind my nickname.
I added the "1970" to it because you'd be amazed how many Raindogs there are on the Internet... now I'm a somewhat more distinguished Raindog. :wink:
Yes I was a child of the 70's... you should see me in some of my old photos all decked out in polyester! :lol:
Fortunately I have naturally curly hair, so I can say with great relief that I never had a perm... but I did have to suffer through Sid & Marty Kroft's mind numbing TV shows every Saturday morning! :razz:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

I answered this on another thread recently, but I'll put it here too. :smile: I've been studying Welsh, hence using it to create my username. I create music mostly through voice and now whistle, so:
aderyn- bird
cyrdd- a form of song

So, it's my way of saying 'songbird'. Image

Andrea ~*~
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

My real first 'nickname' is 'Bill'. My band has in it two hammer dulcimers, bass, guitar, fiddle, psalteries, Irish percussion, and whistles. The name of the group is 'Gladly Playe Wyth Stryngs' - from a line in Chaucer...(We must tune 228 stryngs every tyme we playe.)
Over the years, in our prynted materyal, we have replaced short vowel sounds wyth the letter 'y' - just for fun... Hence, 'Byll'.
Cheers to all.
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

"Kardshark" refers to the fact that I like card games. Come to think of it I like mostly any game (computer game, board game, card game). But I don't cheat...I just like the term "Kardshark." Anyways...The "87" refers to the year I was born because regular old "Cardshark" and "Kardshark" were taken. That's all folks!

Brent
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Well, here goes...

My nickname is sort of a pun on "Glassblower" (which I would be if I had one of those cool glass flutes). I have a supply of brass Generations (all of which are good, strangely enough), hence the nickname.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

When my husband and I were first married he used to get a kick out of sneaking up and startling me. He'd laugh and laugh saying I didn't so much scream but I squeaked like a mouse. He still calls me mouse, and I like that. But I'm glad he gave up on the surprise attacks. I had to add the dakota cause they're are lots of mice out there.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

My nickname is derived from the old Irish song of the same name.....I couldn't think of anything else and also thought it appropriate for the forum.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I was playing a type of Text-based highly addictive and pointless role-playing game called MUDD some years back where I had to get a nick for my character, and I wanted something original and "Elvish" sounding. I flipped through my "The Language of Tolkien's Middle Earth" and from the Elvish-to-English Glossary, got the two words "Eldar" which means Elf and "ion", which is a musculine name suffix. So Eldarion actually means "Male Elf".

I found out after reading the LoTR appendix a couple of years later, that Eldarion was the name of Aaragon's and Arwen's son, which was quite a coincidence. So the name has stuck for my internet identities as well.
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Mine is named after a peaceful and picturesque bay on Lake Pend Oreille in the Idaho panhandle.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

My nickname came into being because several years ago I had a little sister who couldn't pronounce my real name, Kiirsi, and instead called me Ceesi (pronounced like SeeSee). Pretty soon the rest of my family adopted it and the nickname stuck.

Now just my sisters and parents call me that, but it's a cute reminder of that little sister I had. Over the years it got shortened to "Cees."
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

Mine is the initials of first names of my family (Joe, Mary, Sam, Sarah, Mike and Hannah)

Joe
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Well, my story is super boring :smile:

Basically, I can never get the account rford so I gave up trying... DrRichard seems to be pretty much untaken universally, so it means I only have to remember passwords not user id's :lol:

Richard