to bamboo flute makers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

to bamboo flute makers

Post by michael_coleman »

I have spent about 10-20 hours now on this whole bamboo flute thing. I already have about 100 feet total of cured bamboo (from the torch and I let it sit for about 5 months) so the bamboo is very strong. I have the nodes punched out, and completely cleaned flush so the inside looks like one whole piece (rather than two sections with a bump in the middle). I sanded out the inside a bit and have the embochure drilled out (1/2 inch) with a cork on the end. Once again, the octaves are completely shot (a full 1/2 step difference, from D to a C# bell tone) despite my moving of the cork and rotating the flute.

What do you bamboo flute makers do, should I make the inside of the bore as smooth as it will go, will that change it?

If not, anybody want some good bamboo to try it out for themselves. It's already cut and cured. The inside just needs a little clean up.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Generally, whether or not they knock out nodes for length, bamboo flutemakers leave a node in and use that in place of the cork. They just drill (or burn) the hole accordingly (and on good bamboo flutes, the hole is oval). The non-smooth surface of the inside of the bamboo (not counting nodes) makes for a very nice complex tone - don't get rid of it. It is possible that your bore to length ratio is way off (since you knocked out all the nodes, my guess is that it is far too long - and not wide enough - for the key you want), and that could account for the difference between the octaves.
~JessieD
yillbrillem
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by yillbrillem »

I look for bamboo with a very long node spacing, (you may not have this luxury, i go harvest in FL and pick and choose) and as JessieK stated, leave the node on the top instead of using a cork. You'll get a better seal that way. You definatly have the wrong bore to length ratio going on if your tuning is that bad. My suggestion is to experiment. If you can find a bamboo flute you like that plays in tune, try to copy it as closely as possible. (Length, bore, hole spacing) Cut it a little long and tune the first note by shaving the end off little by little. (Did i mention to first put in your mouthhole? i burn mine in w/ a torch heated, red hot steel rod, ground to various diameters, don't burn youself!! you can fashion a handle using that very same bamboo!) When tuning the fingerholes, start w/ the bottom hole (let's say it's in D, then this is the E) find approximately where you think the hole should go, but make it small. The trick is, you want a slightly flat note that you can fine tune by gradually enlarging the hole, when it's in tune, check the octave, if it's flat try to undercut it a bit. If you find that you had to make the hole too big to play in tune, start again from scratch, and put the hole in a little higher up toward the mouthhole this time. Then go to the F# and repeat, on up the scale. I've been making bamboo flutes now almost 20 years, in all keys and they get better only by trial and error and knowing (eventually) which pieces of bamboo are suitable for a flute or what key to go for given its diameter. You have a pretty big pile of bamboo. Make ALOT of them, and copy your best ones. Hope this helps. (now for the....SHAMELESS PLUG... if you're interested in a well tuned in both octaves, great playing bamboo flute, in any key, e-mail me... (link below). I play alot of ITM as well as middle eastern music. I use a Mike Copeland made Irish flute when playing trad. but when those pesky fiddlers are in Eb, out comes the bamboo...)
Last edited by yillbrillem on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I was going to post this last night,but something wasn't working,and now somebody beat me to it.
Pretty much ditto what was said above,about the diameter and length being off. Copy a good flute.
I would add that if you burn the holes out,DON'T breath the smoke,as it can cause lung irritation.I don't burn my holes,I use an X-acto craft knife and a round file.
Good luck!
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

JessieK wrote: my guess is that it is far too long - and not wide enough - for the key you want), and that could account for the difference between the octaves.
Usually when this is the case, (too long, small bore) the flute will not speak well and sound wispy. In my experience, the crude, homemade flutes i see (that will make a decent sound) are just the opposite, (large bore, or diameter, and short length). When this happens, yes, the octave can be as much as a 1/2 step to a whole note flat and usually somewhere in between. A larger bore will give you a louder, clear playing flute but even if it plays in tune on the low octave, the next octave is ALWAYS flat, and usually won't go past G2. I see alot of G pitched flutes w/ this problem. If this is the case, try making a lower pitched flute w/ the same diameter/bore bamboo. Go for a longer piece, and tune to F, Eb, or D. Or, conversely, get a smaller bore (measure the bore! a larger diameter piece might still have a thick wall and smaller bore, or a smaller diameter piece may have a thin wall, large bore!) piece, and go for the same size/key flute you were making. There is a trade-off between these two extreams, and sometimes i will settle for a flute w a slightly flat B2 or C#2 and slightly larger bore in order to get a nice loud instrument, (i can lip the difference) but usually i'll get the whole thing pretty much there. Seisflutes metioned the smoke inhalation thing and he's right, bamboo smoke is very nasty in the eyes and lungs. If you go this route, use a fan (blowing out) w/ hood in the window, or outside, just place the fan on your table so it sucks the air away from you. Otherwise, you'll end up looking like this guy here! :boggle:
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the correction. I had just assumed it was too long because he had drilled out all the nodes, but that wasn't a good asumption.
~JessieD
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

One more tip that may not be obvious to some. Bamboo is slightly conical. (fatter at the base and skinnier as it grows up near the top) Make sure if you have a bit of a conical thing going on, to take advantage of it. Use the fatter/larger end of the piece for the mouthhole, not the end of the flute. This may seem obvious to those of us w/ Irish flutes, but I've seen many bamboo flutes made opposite/conical (skinny at mouthhole, larger at bottom). Same deal, loud, but out of tune octaves. Think that's about all...so... I'm hoping you guys have well paying computer jobs and won't go after my job now! It's not well paying as professions go, but it is fun. I highly encourage everyone to try their hand at making a couple of their own flutes, just so you can say hey! looky what I made! Give the duds away to the kids! ( Mommy will either love you, or hate you!)

www.windwoodflutes.com
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

yillbrillem wrote:Give the duds away to the kids! ( Mommy will either love you, or hate you!)
Or Daddy, as the case may be.

:)
~JessieD
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jessie - I think it should be your duty, as a new mom, to have a hand made D bamboo fife waiting for the baby in the delivery room instead of a stuffed animal...he might feel odd about caryying it around as a toddler, but when he's older he'll thank you for it and it won't be relegated to the bottom of his closet. :lol:

Eric
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I'm having a girl! :) She will have lots of flutes and whistles...I just have to think of a way to get her into it. So often parents are into something and for that very reason, their kids reject it.
~JessieD
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

Yes! then later, if (or when) he gets into toy guns, as little boys often do, you can play him old "Kung Fu" reruns, teach peace, but show him to use it for self defense! Ooops, sorry, its a girl! (just checked the posts) Smart move! :P

www.windwoodflutes.com
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jessie,

sorry about that premature sex change of your baby! I'm sure she will love all those fifes and whistles...I've never met a child that didn't like blowing loud random notes on the old tin whistle :boggle: .

You're right though about not forcing things on your child, but as a parent of a 5 year old, I think I can safely say if you just be yourself you'd be surprised how much your kid will want to emulate you. My son loves Irish and folk music (his favorite two musicians are Arlo Guthrie and Tom Dahill), he loves bagpipes, and has a good ear for who is a really good flute player ("Daddy, your 'fluting' is getting better, but that guy is REALLY good" - one of Devan's quotes upon hearing Conal O'Grada's rendition of Haste to the Wedding compared to mine).

Have fun, although being a parent can be trying, nothing beats it IMHO.

Eric
sturob

Post by sturob »

JessieK wrote:I'm having a girl! :) She will have lots of flutes and whistles...I just have to think of a way to get her into it. So often parents are into something and for that very reason, their kids reject it.
Is your avatar a 3D echo of your baby?

How common are 3D echos now . . . ?

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, it's a 3D ultrasound image from a month ago. They offer it as an option on most 2nd and 3rd trimester ultrasounds. It's really cool!

:)
~JessieD
sturob

Post by sturob »

That's what it looks like, but it's been a few years since I've done anything remotely OB so I didn't know how pervasive the technology is . . . she's cute!

Stuart