Quick Gallagher Flute Review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Brazen Kaine

Quick Gallagher Flute Review

Post by Brazen Kaine »

I just got my 4 piece Gallagher flute in Grenedilla. All I can say is "AMAZING!!!" Seth got me the flute quickly and more important, I can say in both octaves its superb. The embochure is great and easy to play. The hard D is strong and the sound of the entire instrument is very focused

Mine has no keys, but has blocks for 6 (or 8) keys. the blocks are lowered, so if you're a piper and play with that kind of fingering.... no prob (which I do)!!

I don't have enough good things to say about Seth Gallagher, his timely delivery, buisness ethics and helpfulness. Anyone out there considering a wooden flute might want to take advantage of the low wait time/high quality ratio....

You can read about his prices at

Uilleann.com
KPO
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Quick Gallagher Flute Review

Post by sturob »

Brazen Kaine wrote:Mine has no keys, but has blocks for 6 (or 8) keys. the blocks are lowered, so if you're a piper and play with that kind of fingering.... no prob (which I do)!!
That's great to hear a good review of Seth's flute.

You know, though, the blocks don't have to be lowered to play piper's style. I have played flutes by tons of makers and never hit the pinblocks with my uilleann/highland flats-of-the-fingers playing style. The blocks aren't on the same part of the circumference of the flute as are the pinblocks (except for the ones for C/C# if you have an 8-key).

Remember . . . uilleann chanters have keys too. ;)

Stuart
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

sturob wrote:
You know, though, the blocks don't have to be lowered to play piper's style. I have played flutes by tons of makers and never hit the pinblocks with my uilleann/highland flats-of-the-fingers playing style.

Stuart
My LH2 finger (I think) got a bit caught up in the block for the long F nat key on a friend's Hamilton flute, causing a bit of a problem sealing the F hole. I'm sure a bit of perseverance would have found a way around it. I agree that blocks should not generally affect you if you play piper style.

Just to add to the thread - does anyone else agree that block mounted keys are so much nicer than post mounted. It makes the keys look so much more a part of the flute rather than a clumsy looking add on.

Just my thoughts (and I have now used up my quota for the day :roll: )

Cheers

Graham
sturob

Post by sturob »

BMFW wrote:Just to add to the thread - does anyone else agree that block mounted keys are so much nicer than post mounted.
Well, since it's my job today to respond to each and every post personally . . . :roll:

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY, Graham. I abhor post-mounted keys. The blocks just tie everything in together nicely, no? I can see why you might need them for a clarinet or an oboe, where you've got LOADS of keys, but on a flute or UP . . . nope. Blocks, baby, blocks.

Stuart
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Wow - those do look very nice! Interesting note: "All bores are sealed permanently to help alleviate cracking." - Wonder what techinque/finishes he uses for this - not a common treatment for the makers I've been studying up on.

Sounds like a fine instrument Brazen Kaine - hope you continue to enjoy it!

Regards,
- Ryan
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I also had a chance to try one of Seth's flutes briefly a couple of weeks ago and was very favorably impressed, even though as a general rule I'm not a big fan of Pratten-style flutes.

On pin-mounted versus block-mounted, I like 'em both. I've seen some truly gorgeous pin-mounted flutes by Rudall and Rose and by Chris Wilkes (who normally uses blocks). The guy who pin-mounts Skip Healy's flutes does a beautiful job. And with pins you don't get the wiggling or tightness problems that sometime arise with blocks, when the wood swells or shrinks around the key.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Brad, I dub thee: peacemaker.

;)

Stuart
sturob

Post by sturob »

spittle wrote:Wow - those do look very nice! Interesting note: "All bores are sealed permanently to help alleviate cracking." - Wonder what techinque/finishes he uses for this - not a common treatment for the makers I've been studying up on.
There was a bit of discussion about this a while back, maybe on woodenflute and not here.

It's some kind of proprietary thing that von Huene workshop does to some of its instruments as well. Bore sealant. There was a bunch of conjecture as to what exactly was done to the bore, but it's some kind of polish/sealant stuff.

But for us purists, ahem, why not make the flute out of delrin if you're going to smear stuff on the bore and seal up all the timber? ;)

Stuart
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

sturob wrote:Brad, I dub thee: peacemaker.

;)

Stuart
Ah, okay then. Pratten flutes suck, and blocks suck too. Rudall and Rose and pin-mounted keys are the only way to go.

Is that better? :) :)

I think I'm going to take up the accordion.
sturob

Post by sturob »

But Rudall and Rose usually blockmounted.

Therefore, the proverbial Irresistable Force has hit the Immovable Object.

Brad the Peacemaker.

Thought you'd sneak one by this group!

Nary a squeezebox to squeeze! Your universe is nothing!

Therefore, Brad the Peacemaker, you ARE the Weakest Link.

Goodbye.
Last edited by sturob on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Chris Layer (New York City-based flute and bagpipe player) told me a few months ago that he had spent a full day playing one of Seth's first couple of flutes, and it was as good as his (Chris') boxwood Olwell. Now if that's not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!

:-)
Steven
Brazen Kaine

Gall flute cont'd

Post by Brazen Kaine »

I'd hear all this and that about Pratten being only loud sounding flutes and R&R being more sensitive blablabla. The flute I have can be played either way. It's loud enough and soft enough. I played Seth's 1st flute and It was great too! I'd never heard of someone making an instrument and have such a success upon 1st effort. Again, the flute I have is superb. When word really gets out , I'd imagine his wait times are going to soar.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

In case it wasn't clear, I was only joking about Prattens being sucky flutes. I used to play a Pratten-style flute myself, although my tastes have changed since then. There's a certain complexity of tone in the Rudall flutes that I've only rarely heard in a Pratten, and that's what draws me to the Rudalls.

Seth's making great flutes, and like you said, I'm sure he'll have tons of orders now that the word is getting out.

Peace :)
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Brad,

check your PM's

rama
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Some flutemakers are using a mixture of raw linseed oil and thin ca glue to seal the bore. The reamer is reinserted and the bore touched up. This "seals" the bore and seriously curtails moisture absorbtion.

Ted