Shall we resume saying how long we've been playing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

GaryKelly wrote:If anyone needs advice, they should simply "Ask Colin!"™
I take it you don't pronounce Colin "collen", do you, but something more akin to what would suggest "me arse", right? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brendan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brendan »

For what its worth folks Ive played the whistle from I was about 6 or 7 and started on the flute at 11 and have been playing it ever since ( 22 years ) yeah thats right I am 33 years young.

And after that long playing I still wouldnt give any body here advice on how to play as I am still learning myself. I have all the bad habits cant read music at all, play on the shoulder cant tell one jig from an other you name it I do it. But somehow it works in my head and I hold the flute like that because its comfortable for me.

Thats why I dont post too often I prefer to practise, now where did I set that flute..........

My 2 Ds worth

Brendan Mulholland
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Also FWIW, I've been playing for 25 years and teaching for about 15. I've come to realize my experience with the flute (like everybody's) is extremely subjective, so much so that any advice I give via a forum like this is bound not to be helpful, except in the most general sense. So I don't advise much here.
cocusflute

Length of playing

Post by cocusflute »

I've been playing for about an hour or so. Lately I've been playing Dermott Byrne's jig and The Dances at Kinvara, an Ed Reavey barn dance.
Also Dermott Byrne's hornpipe, that goes to the high E. And I'm trying to nail down Paddy Fahey jig, that the Kane sisters play on The Well Tempered Bow. It's the first tune on track nine. It's a slippery fecker.
How long you been playing?
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Here are two tunes that I recorded a couple of years ago. I enjoy playing simple-system flutes, in this case my own pvc flute, but I make no attempt to play in an ITM style. I just play the tunes as they come to me.
Both short tunes were recorded directly into the sound card of my computer, nothing fancy.
Farewell to Whiskey (as a lament)
Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I hereby cast my vote for an "Ask Colin" sticky. :-)

Meanwhile, it's nice to know things didn't change too much while I was gone. :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

there is a thread about change in the pub... :D
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Since this is concern about the nuwb, perhaps we should discuss giving advice. Often it seems advice is given before all the information is known. Asking questions to learn about a new player can improve the quality of advice that can be given. Even the best advice can be wrong with the wrong information, a good question by anyone, and answered by the potential player, can add to the discussion better than false assumptions.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

whaddaya thinkin' :-?

that would end the game of seeing who was closest to the question the newb was tryin' to ask, but didn't know enough to phrase the question properly.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was just thinking it could help the nuwb.

Sorry, I was not thinking, disregard.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
eilam

Post by eilam »

not "Ask Mike olin!"™[/quote] ? :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

well...we do have tradition, eh? :wink:
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I started playing both whistle and flute at about 19 or 20, and am now 30.

That said, I've never had a lesson on either in my life. I've had lessons on both highland and uilleann piping, and tried to transfer some of that to flute, but still.

Yeah. It's like the military; just because someone's got more stripes on their shirt doesn't mean they know what they're doing. There's a couple of two-stripers in my shop that could work circles around me at networking, but I've been in longer, so...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Length of playing

Post by Nanohedron »

cocusflute wrote:I've been playing for about an hour or so.
Ah! Ya beat me to it. :swear:
I.D.10-t wrote:...nuwb...
I like your use of the Welsh, here. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cofaidh wrote:I started playing both whistle and flute at about 19 or 20, and am now 30.

That said, I've never had a lesson on either in my life. I've had lessons on both highland and uilleann piping, and tried to transfer some of that to flute, but still.

Yeah. It's like the military; just because someone's got more stripes on their shirt doesn't mean they know what they're doing. There's a couple of two-stripers in my shop that could work circles around me at networking, but I've been in longer, so...
Right, nobody thinks the fact that somebody has been playing
longer proves her advice is better. We all know that's not so.
So this piece of information cannot replace considering, and evaluating,
the advice itself. That's as it should be, yes?

It's merely a helpful piece of context. It can be helpful
for someone whose been playing for six months
and asks a question here to know whether the
advice being given comes from somebody playing
for 20 years or two months. She may value the
two-monthers advice more, in fact, because it
makes more sense or because it's from somebody
closer to her circumstance.

The fact that the info isn't decisive is a strength,
not a defect. Also it's not against the rules to add additional
relevant info, as you did.