"Ask Colin!"™

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Ask Colin!"™

Post by GaryKelly »

Introducing a new service from McChudco! "Ask Colin!"™

Living with flutes is a wonderful thing, but sometimes there are issues which need to be solved for your flutey cohabitation to run smoothly. You know the kind of thing:
  • ¤Old Granny M's kicked the bucket and left you $1500, you want to buy a 'good' wooden flute and just can't be 'arrised to check out what flutes real players of a certain standard of excellence have invested their money, time and effort in...

¤You're handy with a dremel, and want to Prattenize the Ruddally tone-holes on your stick for that extra session volume everyone raves about, or maybe you're keen to put a thumbhole or two in your go-to-the-grave-keeper to save the tiresome hassle of cross-fingering...

¤You took the lid off the end of the flute and poked out the soft squishy thingy to see what it looked like, and the flute's not been the same since...

¤You want that wonderful honking reedy tone but can't be 'arrised to buy an oboe or a saxophone...

¤Or maybe your first flute is a shiny new McNotChud and it just doesn't sound right...
Well, now you can "Ask Colin!"™, an international panel of qualified musicians who between them have almost a century's experience of performing and recording. No strangers either to solo 'pure drop' playing, sessions or the critical public arena, our Colins are ready, willing and able to answer any question you might have.

"Colin1" (not his real name, tax reasons you understand) is a professional who's been performing from the age of 12. Now 32, "Colin1" captivates his audiences with a style and technique developed over 20 years in music. Want to know what to do with that unexpected windfall? "Ask Colin!"™ Here's "Colin1" wowing the crowd.

"Colin2" (not his real name, tax reasons you understand) is also a professional and a regular in London's Covent Garden. A recording artist for the past 8 years, "Colin2" has perhaps the honkingest, buzzingest, growliest, hardest Hard Low D you're ever likely to hear. His tone is simply amazing, and he can vary the sound of his instrument just by varying his walnut-cracking embouchure! Here's "Colin2",ready and waiting let you know how to get the tone you've been dreaming of without buying an oboe or a sax.

"Colin3" (not his real name, tax reasons you understand) hails from the continent, and has been performing since childhood. Now 56, "Colin3" has been playing for half a century, and if there's a flute question to be asked, he's here to help!

Colin (his real name!) isn't a professional musician and plays for the love of it and 'the crack'. Colin's no stranger to the session scene, where he's very well known to the locals. Don't be put off by Colin's apparent youth, he's been performing from the age of 6 and his technique and embouchure control are astonishing. He's played a wide range of instruments, and chances are no matter what you have or are thinking to purchase, he'll tell you how to get the best out of it! And he has a certain musical sensibility too! Here's Colin!

No time for common sense? Simply can't make a decision? Google and 'search' take too long and you need it now? "Ask Colin!"™

These are just a few of our Colins, we have many! Remember, most of our Colins are professionals, they make a living from their performances and for tax reasons may not go by their real names. Remember, our Colins are available to take your questions at a street corner or subway near you during normal business hours, or right here 24x7.

No Colins were harmed in the making of this commercial. Any resemblance to real Colins, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Any advice given by a Colin is for entertainment purposes only and should never be accepted at face value. If in doubt, always seek expert advice, from real experts. McChudco accepts no liability for any loss, financial or otherwise, or injury resulting from advice given, directly or indirectly, from any of its Colins. Advice can go down as well as up. McChudco Colins are not teachers and may in fact know nothing at all about flutes, wooden or otherwise.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

ROFLMSO!!!!
thanks for the laugh
berti
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Image Image

Forget India, I know where to out-source my customer service calls from now on!

Loren
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Obviously a case of insomnia at its finest! Great post, Gary!Image
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
nonagon

Post by nonagon »

A qusetion to whoever Colin's available:
I have a tax audit comming and would like to know if I can deduct an ebay-purchased Pakistani flute as donation to the needed in a third world country.:thumbsup:

cheers
Ma 'vefes ket bet mezv-dall derc'h, 'vefes ket o klemm gant an droug blev hiziv
Denny

Post by Denny »

very nicely done sir!

dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I have a question for Colin2. What kind of sports car does your McTrafficCone flute most resemble in handling capablilites, and what is your recommended fingering for the second octave B#?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

http://www.colinmochrie.com/AskColin.html

Apparently this guy can compose tunes on the fly that sound better and funnier than any "prefabricated" tune. He's the world's best improv player. He's so good he doesn't even need a flute.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

A quesion for Colin 2 here, I've been playing for thirty years and have nearly finished learning The Kesh (Well to be honest I've not quite finished the second half). I own a few flutes 3 Olwells 2Grinters 6 Wilkes a Noy and my favourite Dixon Duo. I pretty sure it's the flutes holding me back and feel I'd make better progress with a different flute... please advise.
Ps I've been going to sessions for quite a while now but after a few weeks they change either the pub or the day and don't tell me, I'm sure it's nothing I'm probably just paranoid but I suspect they find the quality of my spoons playing hard to measure up to.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

SHVJKASERLGJOAEAGLERAM GRAOGJREOAKGOJMGEROJAEREMGAERK OERJAKAERGAJAERBKflkFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<races to the Ladies'>
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde wrote:SHVJKASERLGJOAEAGLERAM GRAOGJREOAKGOJMGEROJAEREMGAERK OERJAKAERGAJAERBKflkFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<races to the Ladies'>
...and there goes an other keyboard into the scrap heap! :wink:
bradhurley

Re: "Ask Colin!"™

Post by bradhurley »

GaryKelly wrote:You're handy with a dremel, and want to Prattenize the Ruddally tone-holes on your stick for that extra session volume everyone raves about..
A procedure that shall hereafter be known as a Colinoscopy.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hammy's gonna kill us. :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

:lol: no kidding