RTTA iPhone app

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: RTTA iPhone app

Post by paddler »

The app is running in full screen mode on my iPad. It is not at all obvious that this is an iPhone only app. It seems to run flawlessly, in full screen mode on my iPad Air. To get it I simply followed the link posted here, downloaded it and ran it. [Edit: I'm running iOS version 7.0.6].
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Mine runs full screen on the iPad, too... Seems like you don't really need to release an iPad version after all - just make sure that iPad users know how to retrieve it.

On another "note"... I have noticed that the app seems to pick up notes that I haven't played, like B-flat on my D flute. It it, perhaps, catching the transitions during rolls, etc, and thinking they're regular notes? Not a big deal, but it kinda messes up the "picture".

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Dan Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dan Gordon »

Hi Pat,

You're probably right, it's most likely catching stuff between and at the edges of notes, especially if you're playing a lot of ornamentation and quick notes. It should help to increase the "min readings" setting. This will suppress the display of any notes that haven't registered more than a minimum number of 'readings'.

It occurs that I should also have a "min % of readings". I recall that Scott had this in Flutini and Graeme in Polygraph. Another minor change for the next release...

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it's really helpful.

Cheers, Dan
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Speaking as a maker, this thing is an awesome tool at ten times the price. Just started messing with it and I can already see that I'm going to be using this a lot.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Speaking as a maker, this thing is an awesome tool at ten times the price.
Oh, jeez. Don't tell him that until we've all bought one... :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Speaking as a maker, this thing is an awesome tool at ten times the price.
Oh, jeez. Don't tell him that until we've all bought one... :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Well, to be fair I'm more likely to cough up substantial money for a tuning app than the average player might :-) I spent something like $280 on a tuner at one point, and while it has a massive quantity of features, RTTA isn't one of them. Plus my shop is not clean enough that I'd ever bring a laptop in there...
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that an update to RTTATuner is now available on the app store. The most significant changes are an export function (I had a lot of comments saying that would be nice), and prevention of sleep mode during recording.

While I'm at it, I should also say something about appropriate settings for the flute:

Temperament: for Irish music, equal temperament is probably the easiest. Just don't be too concerned if the F# is 10 cents flat or so - this is not a bad thing, as it brings the major third from D more in tune. Ditto for a slightly sharp C natural and slightly flat C#. 1/4 comma meantone might also be worth looking at, for example, it takes into account the modifications mentioned above. For baroque flute, I like 1/6 comma meantone, but you need to use the flats version when playing in flat keys and sharps when playing in sharp keys.

Octs/Screen: unless you play a lot in the third octave, set this to 2, otherwise 3.
Min Octave: 4 (low octave on the flute)
Max Octave: 6 (third octave)

Min Readings:
I'd set this to at least 5 or 10 - 5 is the default. For lower values, the slightest "blip", e.g. in an ornament, will register as a note - one that might not be very in tune!

Min Clarity:
If you set this too low, then background hums and noises will start to register as notes. Set it to 0.95, or 0.9 if it seems to be missing some notes.

Cheers, Dan
kmarty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kmarty »

Hi,
may I ask where I can find RTTAtuner for iOS now? I cannot find it in the App Store :-(.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Same here message - "not available" at UK or USA iTunes store
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just heard back from Dan Gordon (the developer)... He says it should be back up it a week or so - he forgot to renew his developer license and is currently in process of doing so.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Someone please do an android version soon :-(
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

Hello everyone, it takes a while, but RTTATuner is back on the app store. I won't make the mistake of letting my apple developer membership lapse again! Thanks to Pat Plunkett for getting in touch with me to point this out. It's also nice to know that there are interested folks out there.

Cheers, Dan
Banjobilly
Tell us something.: Trying to capably ride a pair of DG button boxes, a Low D whistle and pair of D flutes. Based in Michigan, primarily oriented to old time string band music since the 1970s.

Post by Banjobilly »

Thanks so much for this iphone app, Dan!