Recorder versus whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cj »

Let me guess, the HHHRRRRNNGG sound? :lol:
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

peeplj wrote:There is a real difference in tone between recorder and whistles.

The very qualities which recorder players love and seek in their instruments, namely a louder, projective tone with a bit of an edge, and a tight voicing with lots of resistance, are often things which some whistle players seek to actively avoid in their instruments.

There is a place for both.

--James
Now, we did not mess with re***ders long before becoming whistle addicts. One of the reasons we did decide on whistles is that they were quite a bit louder and projected sound much more than their re***der counterparts. As far as resistance goes, the Overton whistles we borrowed recently had a bunch more resistance than the re***ders we returned.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Boo
Has anyone played one of these Overton 10-holes? I count 9 holes in the front and two on the back. How the heck do you cover all of those suckers?
I have played a similar 10 hole low whistle (it's a proto-type, nothing like the newer keyed versions) made by Daniel Bingamon of Jubilee, and it's a beast. LOL. A finger on each hole.
Boo

Recorder vs. whistle

Post by Boo »

Cranberry wrote:Quote @ Boo
Has anyone played one of these Overton 10-holes? I count 9 holes in the front and two on the back. How the heck do you cover all of those suckers?
I have played a similar 10 hole low whistle (it's a proto-type, nothing like the newer keyed versions) made by Daniel Bingamon of Jubilee, and it's a beast. LOL. A finger on each hole.
A 10-hole low whistle? Musta had you aching after one tune. So, I'll just need to grow another phalange to play the Overton, eh? :lol:
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Hrrrrnggg! :lol:

Seriously though I made a ten hole body for a whistle out of boredom once. Worked fine, took some getting used to though. Had no effect on the tone, but was a bit of a bear.

It eventually went to that couch crack in whistle heaven, i don't know where the hell that thing ended up. Oh well all for the best
Play Happy
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

holy poo! At least five posts since I started my message
Play Happy
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

brad maloney wrote:...I made a ten hole body for a whistle out of boredom once...
Is that a type of wood or metal?

Susan
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

tee hee,
No really - it was stainless tubing.
Play Happy
callybeg

Post by callybeg »

As someone pointed out, they teach recorder in the UK, and whistle in the Irish schools.

Of all the people in the UK I know who were taught recorder at primary school (and that seems to be about a third of the population, at least in my age bracket) I am one of only two people I know who plays the thing well. That is actually because whenever I went back to Ireland in the summer holidays etc, my whole bleeding family were whistling, fiddling and singing, and I wanted to join in. Of my thirty odd cousins on my mums side who were taught the whistle at least ten still play for enjoyement, and most of them play very well indeed.

The reason I am learning whistle now is that I recognise the subtelty that the more sophisticated breath control gives the instrument. Recorder sounds very pretty - lovely in fact when well played. The whistle sounds as expressive as a human voice when played by a master. It will be a while before I am that good, if ever, but already I can do things on the whistle that I couldn't do on the recorder. The recorder offers more sophisticated melodies perhaps - but the whistle sounds like no other instrument I know. It is like the difference between classical guitar, and Irish folk fiddle. Two entirely and hopelessly different things. Why not enjoy both?

Callybeg
if it harms none do as you will
glauber

Re: Recorder vs. whistle

Post by glauber »

Boo wrote:Has anyone played one of these Overton 10-holes? I count 9 holes in the front and two on the back. How the heck do you cover all of those suckers?
Unless you're counting wrong, that's 11 holes. :)

If it's only 10 holes and no keys (could be a trick question?), then you can cover each hole with one of your standard fingers. If you're that guy who has 6 fingers in his right hand, then you can play the 11-holed whistle. You'd have to have your swords custom-made, though, because the extra finger throws off the balance.

Assuming you use the cross-fingered C-nat, with 10 holes you can make a fully chromatic instrument. Skip Healy makes flutes like that. I haven't seen or played one, though. Peter Spring used to make 8-holed bamboo flutes (thumb hole for the c-nat, and extra finger in the right hand for the f-nat). It took a while getting used to, but it was convenient.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

Bloomfield wrote:The problem with recorders is that they sound like Susato whistles.

;)
Bloomfield, you rock!
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I have an 11 hole McDonagh fife. There are two holes to cover with RH2. This enables you to play F natural without half-holing. Every other finger, and each thumb, covers one hole. It's not that hard to get used to, but I find that very few of the tunes I play really call for it, and play a 6 hole most of the time. It has a great cross fingered c natural (oxoxxx) and a decent cross fingered g sharp (xxoxxo).

A 10-hole whistle smaller than B flat would be hard for me to play, though, because of the chunky sausage-like shape of my fingers.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

To me, the "chromatic" nature of a recorder is not much of an issue, since the easy keys on a recorder are also the easy keys on a D or C whistle. If I need to play in Ab, I will put away the recorder and grab an Eb whistle. It's just that some tunes call for that recorder sound.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

The thing about recorders is, they can sound quite nice... But they just don't have that QUALITY that whistles have, that... lovely mournful sound when playing slow airs.

I think the question that was posed here is the kind of question you'd expect to hear from someone who's more familiar with the mechanics of playing recorder and is having to adjust for the whistle. I am the other way around; if I tried to learn recorder; I'd ask why the holes are smaller, there's too many of them, why do I need my thumb to jump octaves, etc.?

The thing about the whistle is, (in my opinion), it's WORTH learning and adjusting, so you can play the whistle. It's not a complicated instrument - Most beginners can learn all of the tricks that the whistle has to offer within a year or two. And it's got that... lovely Irish-y sound... That sound I fell in love with.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

corinthia wrote:The thing about the whistle is, (in my opinion), it's WORTH learning and adjusting, so you can play the whistle. It's not a complicated instrument - Most beginners can learn all of the tricks that the whistle has to offer within a year or two.
Boy, am I a slow learner!

I estimate 7 years to learn most of what a whistle has to offer.