Ivy Leaf?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Recalling Ciaran Carson's pocket guide "Irish Traditional Music"...in the section discussing "The Instruments", along with guitars, 'zouks, banjos, whistles, etc. he mentions the "ivy leaf". Neither my IrTrad friends nor I have ever heard of it. Does anybody know what this is?

N, hmmm...
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

N, The Ivy Leaf is a very fine reel found in O'Neill's. Our concertina player introduced it to our band years ago, and BTW, a nice pipe tune!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo, I'm aware of the tune (on my must-learn list!), but this was listed as an instrument...perhaps it was a typo or could it be Ciaran was yanking the reader's chain?

N, scratching my head
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Never heard of the instrument. Must be one of those finer reed instruments from the lost age, the kind where you hold the leaf between the thumbs and blow like mad! Hope it's not poison ivy. Now, the fig leaf...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, ain't "The Fig Leaf" a hornpipe? :wink:

N, ducking and running
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Just found some info on this in a 1985 edition of Treoir (thanks to Tom Dahill and his collection).

From an article written by Máire Ní hAragán Uí Bhéaslaoí called "The Rambling House", comes this exerpt:

"Any night that we didn't have musicians, we had a character who played an ivy leaf. His name was Jack Goggin and he hailed from Gweenguillin. He worked on the farm with my Father. He would say to me when I was a child "watch out for the biggest ivy leaf." The older the leaf the sweeter the tune. He would put two leaves together he would grease them together with goose grease, then place them on a flat stone and tease the outer edges together with the palm of his hand. Sometimes he would use an iron. He would then use a foal's covering to to reseal the leaves. When this was done he would hold the ivy leaf between his thumbs and gently blow. This produced a very plaintive and lonely sound. His favourite tune was the "Cúlfhionn", he loved to play slow airs. The poor man died as he lived, he was found under a tree covered in ivy. An ivy leaf was found in his waistcoat pocket."(Treoir, Iml 17 1985 Uimhir 2 4 ISSN 0790-004X)

Sounds like the blade-of-grass-between-the-thumbs trick, only with more sophistication behind it. Can't make out the technique to building this impromptu instrument, but there it is. Has anyone ever seen and heard this do-it-yourself instrument being played?
djm

Post by djm »

Nano, I'm not sure I follow the description you provided. Are you sure you didn't leave something out? You blow on the fig leaf and then ... what's supposed to happen? :-?

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

IVY leaf, you prurient, fleabitten cat-oid thing; IVY leaf.
djm

Post by djm »

Sure! Sure! Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. So there you are, with the olive branch, tickling the fig leaf, and along comes this Ivy League type, rolling over in the clover, and ... then what?

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Uhhh....light the leaf up and smoke it?
djm

Post by djm »

Of course! Brilliant!

Now, this foal's covering, what is it? A horse blanket that shrank, or a brand of rolling paper?

Man, am I getting hungry! I could definitely do some serious snacking right about now ...

mjd
Last edited by djm on Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, the article said that the foal's covering was used to seal the leaves...I think that's obvious enough, then, but that would be one helluva mongo spliff, and I think the smell as it burnt would be not so different from turves. I still can't get how to play the thing, though.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm signed off:

"mjd"

:lol:

И
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, I don't get "foal's covering". What is it?

δĵμ

Seriously. I mean it. I don't get it. What is it?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I really don't know. I presumed it was like horse baby clothes, a covering like you see on racehorses and the like, but I'm guessing. And have you ever smelled goose fat? "Rich" is a word that fits the case. I might be tempted to eat the ivy leaf instead of play it.

And no, I haven't left anything out of the exerpt. I made sure that I quoted it word for word, punctuation and all.