The best way to learn slow airs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I've seen books and CDs out there. Are they any good, any recommendations, etc? I don't want to spend a fortune buying every Irish/Celtic CD on the market at this particular time, but would like to learn some slow Airs.

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

"Irelands Best 110 Slow Airs" is a must-have. The accompanying CD is worth getting too...I don't always love the way the airs are played on the CD, but it will give you an idea of how the tune should go, and you can always develop your own style with it.

The main thing with airs is to play expressively...it's more like singing than playing dance music.

Redwolf
AngeloMeola
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Go to Mick Woodruff's page
http://fingertrip.net/index.html
He has some beautiful airs and you can download them as mp3's as well as download the sheet music depending on which way you learn tunes.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Redwolf, do you know where to find that book and CD online? Thanks
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-11 17:54, Paul wrote:
Redwolf, do you know where to find that book and CD online? Thanks
I got mine from The Whistle Shop.

Redwolf
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

The book is great if you don't know what tunes to learn. If you have specific favorites in mind, Trillian has free scores for many of the favorites.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

On 2003-02-11 17:17, Redwolf wrote:
"Irelands Best 110 Slow Airs" is a must-have. The accompanying CD is worth getting too...I don't always love the way the airs are played on the CD, but it will give you an idea of how the tune should go, and you can always develop your own style with it.

The main thing with airs is to play expressively...it's more like singing than playing dance music.

Redwolf
Thanks, Redwolf, that's very helpful. I've been wondering about this set. I'm pretty new to this type of music, so I think I need some kind of introduction--I would never know what to search for on the ABC site, if I was specifically looking for slow airs. As far as I can tell, there's no way to search by style, or am I wrong?

Robin
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

IF this is the book/CD I'm thinking of, it has the music done with different instruments, so that if you're looking to hear what it sounds like on a whistle, you might be disappointed. When I was first beginning I couldn't get a clear idea of how it was supposed to sound unless it was done with a whistle.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

On 2003-02-11 21:36, spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
snip
....if I was specifically looking for slow airs. As far as I can tell, there's no way to search by style, or am I wrong?

Robin
http://tunedb.woodenflute.com
allows search by type.

Also search by 'first' or 'any' word, so if at first 'it' isn't there, you can expand the search. This sometimes throws up the tune you want by another name. The site will show a jpeg of the tune, and a midi is available - if the 'abc' is correct, otherwise an 'abc' only text version is shown.
If you already knew this, sorry :smile:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

"The main thing with airs is to play expressively...it's more like singing than playing dance music.

Redwolf
Some would argue [and I would tend to agree] that the only way to play an air properly is to know the song. The notes should support the words and determine the phrasing.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-12 05:16, Peter Laban wrote:
"The main thing with airs is to play expressively...it's more like singing than playing dance music.

Redwolf
Some would argue [and I would tend to agree] that the only way to play an air properly is to know the song. The notes should support the words and determine the phrasing.
So that means that all airs come from songs originally?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I would never say all, there's always a few stray melodies without words or that have lost their words over time but in general slow airs are the tunes to [sean nos-]songs.
And that makes playing airs an art in itself, you have to somehow manage a convincing instrumental redition of an essitally vocal piece and any tradional singer would listen extremely critacally to how you tackle the airs. Personally I would not be tempted to play airs in public, only unless I have my arm twisted severely. I don play a few airs I am more or less secure with and they are the ones that have English words. I recently posted a version of Valentia Harbour/Song of the Books to the clips page and while I made interesting noises I have no illusion about what the reaction of a singer of the song to my version would be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2003-02-12 08:20 ]</font>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I recently purchased a Mel Bay publication "Singing in Irish Gaelic" by Mary McLaughlin; A phonetic approach to singing in the Irish language. with CD.

It is very well done. There are fourteen songs. She starts with simple pronunciation and you can repeat the lines.

My point is that just listening to Eamonn An Chnoic sung in sean nos style, I have changed the way I play the air.

Right now it is the closest I can get to sean nos singing.

Go here for book info;

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?Produ ... ode=author

I hope this helps.

MarkB

edited to add link

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2003-02-12 08:29 ]</font>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think knowing the song the air comes from helps, but I really doubt it's essential: there are too many fine musicians who play lovely airs but don't speak or sing a word of Gaelic.

I remember Harry Bradley commented on this once on the woodenflute list. His take was that playing with heart is much more important. I'll see if I can dig up the posting so I can quote it exactly here.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

On 2003-02-11 16:55, spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
I've seen books and CDs out there. Are they any good, any recommendations, etc? I don't want to spend a fortune buying every Irish/Celtic CD on the market at this particular time, but would like to learn some slow Airs.
Robin
HI:
There is only one Cd and book out there for the beginning whistler. Bill Ochs has some amazing teaching CDs get in touch with him at http://www.pennywhistle.com/
Bill makes his living teaching and I have had the privilege of taking a few courses with him and know his material first hand.
If you ask him for his cd "Beginning Tin Whistle" and "Advanced beginners Tin Whistle with the sheet music. These are the CDs he uses in his class and are not usually available to the public unless you know to ask for them. He breaks each tune down into phrases and put each phrase on a separate track so you can put your cd player on repeat and play along with each phrase (already slowed down).
He is a nice guy and should answer your e mail promptly.
Good luck and good whistling.
Phil

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wizzer on 2003-02-12 09:21 ]</font>