good and inexpensive pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I've been playing a synthetic UP practice set and I am thinking of purchasing a 'real'(not to mention, hand-made) one. I most likely will get another practice set though, around
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Contact Song of the Sea
http://www.songsea.com/uilleann.htm
They usually have O'Grady practice sets available.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Check http://www.uilleann.net

Marc makes very nice sets for a reasonable price...
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Rick..nice web site! Thanks for sharing that. I've been to Cobblestones, and seen Marc there, but don't remember visiting this site.

A set of pipes made by Marc van Daal

I'm always impressed when a maker understands the need for padding on the bellows! Also the shape of the keys on the regs...nice wide handles and no sharp edges. The chanter looks good..I wonder when the sound files will be up and working??

"Good and inexpensive pipes" would certainly have to include Marc van Daal's pipes. For a ful set:

Live mid-market rates as of 2003.03.01 13:43:21 GMT.
4,000.00 Euro = $4,312.82 USD

Seem very reasonable, if that's the latest price list. To get something like that here in the states, you'd nearly have to double that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorenzo on 2003-03-01 09:10 ]</font>
Rick

Post by Rick »

I keep telling Marc he's too inexpensive.., but he won't listen hehe..

He is determined to make good sets for people for a good price..
As he puts it.., "it lowers the step for people to start playing as the pipes are expensive enough as it is"

And yes.., i'm quite sure that's the latest pricelist as i maintain the site. :smile:

We are working on the sound files, but we are not sure who will play the tunes though it will most likely be Marc himself.

Edit:added sound bit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-03-01 15:48 ]</font>
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

You might want to contact Patrick Murray. He is producing very respectable chanters at a low price. He played one for me at the SF tionol, and I really liked what I heard. His email address is:
orangefellow@hotmail.com
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hey All;

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Try Joe Kennedy @ www.kennedysuilleannpipes.com . HIs pipes are great and his prices more than reasonable. I've ordered a half set from him and it's going to be about a year (well, ten and a half months now, but who's counting?). I played a couple of his sets at the Chris Langan weekend in Toronto and I both like the pipes and him as well, he's a good guy and an excellent reedmakers to boot. Can't ask for much more, and if you're living in the states his prices will be very cheap for you.

Hope this helped,
Mark
janice

Post by janice »

Ditto for Joe Kennedy(3 more months till I get my new set, but whose counting?)
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Joe Kennedy

Post by Harry »

I must add a satisfied endorsement of Joe Kennedy.

I just got a 3/4 set in B and I couldn't have asked for better. Lovingly built and finished, great tonal character to the chanter, looks good AND hand delivered by the man himself ( he's sitting on my couch downstairs watching 'Jackass'). Considering I live in Dublin that's pretty good service.

Seriously though, he really understands the nature of these beasts and can prove it in wood.

Regards, Harry.
pmurray

New Maker and Site in town

Post by pmurray »

Perhaps it is inappropriate to plug your own products, but such is the way with shameless pipers...

My name is Patrick Murray, and I am now in the business of making inexpensive pipes for those looking to start out. A practice set costs only $500, and if you look just a few messages up on this board you can see I have the thumbs up from David Quinn, so you can count on quality. My new website is www.thepiperscut.com which has images, sounds, and ordering information.

I can now be reached at patrick@thepiperscut.com (orangefellow@hotmail.com is no more)

thank you
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Whey Hey Pat you little gurrier! Welcome to the C&F and congrat's on the website. I'll add a link on my site right away.

I saw Pat's work at the West Coast Tionól this year and it indeed is good!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

after my practice set, which was a decent pakistani set (yeah, is there such a thing?) that I outfitted with a nice chanter by Bruce Childress, I decided to go right to a full set.

In trying to find a set for under 4,000 that would take less than 2yrs to build I stumbled across something and have been tremendously happy with it ever since.

Tim Britton ( http://www.skep.com/britton ) whose pipes normally go for about $7,000 offers something waaaay at the bottom of his page.

He's been working with a pakistani maker for some time helping him improve his design. But Tim gets the set, takes it apart, redrills the bores, refits the keys, rereeds the whole thing, and just in general rebuilds the whole set, but since the parts are already made (or just in need of adjustment) the wait time is about three months and the cost is only $2600! I couldn't believe my luck, but i was wary of getting a rebuilt set.

Well, Tim has been a reputable pipemaker for years and would never let anything out of his shop that wasn't just right. My pipes actually took a bit over three months because there was part of it that wasn't cooperating - rather than ship them "close enuff" he made sure they were right before they shipped.

It comes with a three key chanter, though I'm sticking with my Childress chanter (going to use Tim's as a gift practice set once I build bag and bellows) because I plan to have bruce bring it up to four with a stop and it's best that he works on his own chanter.

But I digress. The Cliffs notes version is this: check out Tim Britton's page ( http://www.skep.com/britton ), I recommend him highly and see his rebuilt sets as the best chance for a relative beginner or someone looking to not have to sell organs on the black market to own a full set.

"Is fearr breis"

le meas,
Antaine
Tak_the_whistler

Thanks

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

:) ! Thank yous so much - Tony, Rick, Lorenzo, Quinn, publik, Janice, Patrick, Antaine, Harry & Patrick, etc - for the suggestions ! :)

Great sound and price, Patrick! Looking forward to get the practice set!! :D
marquard

van Daal pipes

Post by marquard »

I have read a few of the postings on this forum and I liked what I read about the pipes by Marc van Daal. I would like to solicit opinions (pro and con) about his pipes from anyone who is willing to share their knowledge so that I can make an informed decision.

If their is another way to solicit opinions, please let me know.

Thank you.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi marquard,

Basically for the money you're not going to get better! His pipes play very well, are in tune (rare enough) and are well made... that's about it.