Top ten most frequently recurring topics.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Recent speculation on just when it is, and when it isn't, appropriate to ask people to search the archives rather than redo a topic made it clear to me that certain topics just keep on reappearing. Here's a list of ones I've noticed; I'll just jot them down as they occur to me without trying to rank them in any way. Many of these topics can be triggered by any one of several questions and any one can break out spontaneously on a thread that had nothing to do with them. Here goes.

1. McSnorkles are my favourite whistles; what are yours? (We do this one at least once a week, even though we all say the same thing each time, except for some who've just taken a trip to Damascus.)

2. Newbie here. What cheap whistle would you recommend? (We do this at least ...... Damascus.)

3. What is chiff? (We .... once a month.)

4. Newbie here. Should I use sheet music or learn to play by ear? (We ... once a week .... Ireland.)

5. How would you rank McSnorkles, Woodworms and Chiffmeisters for purity of tone? (... once a week ..... )

6. Newbie here. Any other whistlers in Tbilisi who like Irish music, throat singing and trainspotting? (Every day ... almost.)

7. Rafferty just advertised a Woodworm for $200 more than they cost new. Even though Liam's waiting time is currently at 25 years, that seems a bit steep to me, after all we're family here.... What do you think? ( ... once a week ...)

8. Frustrated newbie here. I've been playing for three hours and I can't work out how to do crans. Any advice? ( ... once a week ... slow down ... Brother Steve.)

9. This site has really gone downhill in the last year. We once got along without having to explain to anyone what WhOA is? Don't you agree? (Getting less frequent .... )

10. Newbie here. What is WhOA? Where can I order it and how much does it cost?

Oh, I must have missed something obvious. But what?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2003-01-30 01:19 ]</font>
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

11. Wombat, check your PMs.

:wink: Jef
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-30 01:28, Jeferson wrote:
11. Wombat, check your PMs.

:wink: Jef
Nice one Jef. I've got a feeling that this list might grow.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

12. How do you send a PM?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wom, it's just the nature of the beast. I don't mind, to be honest. If I get bored, which does happen, I just don't post to those threads. Every subject has been covered a hundred times, so of course if they used the search engine, they'd find what they want to know. But if we all stopped asking and/or answering those questions, we'd become a dull, lifeless encyclopedia. I prefer the interaction between people who love Irish music the way I do.

My two cents (and how often do we say that?)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I agree entirely Blackhawk. I'm all for searching the archives and I learn a lot that way but they rarely answer the question I really wanted answered. I'm for interaction too. I especially like the patient way we answer the same newbie questions, again and again. There's an element of folklore about this and we should hand things down in a personal way IMO.

Nevertheless, I find some of our oft-repeated themes very funny—like the weekly love letters to our favourite whistle(s) and the endless debate about what chiff *really* is. I still read those threads though, even though I know exactly what every regular is going to say. So I'm not knocking, just starting a bit more fun ... I hope.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2003-01-30 02:03 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Wom, there was a thread many months back (maybe last spring or summer?), started by StevieJ (if you care to do a search for it) that really had us rolling on the floor. I think the title was something about asking if anyone had the sheet music for Three Blind Mice. Then everyone chimed in, repeating the most oft used questions like the ones in your list. I'm sure I was one of the ones being teased, because I was a newbie at the time, but it was really, really funny. Anyway, you're in good company in being amazed at how often the same question can come up.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-30 02:12, blackhawk wrote:
Wom, there was a thread many months back (maybe last spring or summer?), started by StevieJ (if you care to do a search for it) that really had us rolling on the floor. I think the title was something about asking if anyone had the sheet music for Three Blind Mice. Then everyone chimed in, repeating the most oft used questions like the ones in your list. I'm sure I was one of the ones being teased, because I was a newbie at the time, but it was really, really funny. Anyway, you're in good company in being amazed at how often the same question can come up.
Well, in keeping with my stated principles (which seem to be yours as well), I shall both search the archives *and* make no apology (is that #13?) for doing it all over again. Nothing sends me to the archives quicker than the promise of a good laugh. Come to think of it, nothing makes me start a new thread quicker than the anticipation of a good laugh.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 82&forum=1

Here it is, Wom. Enjoy!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackhawk on 2003-01-30 02:37 ]</font>
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Most every decently populated newsgroup I've ever participated in had a FAQ that addressed these totally rehashed topics..perhaps we should look into doing the same? Would make it easier on a lot of newbies. :smile:
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Threads we don't see often enough:

A. "I've decided to give up on playing Irish music, instead concentrating on practicing for the annual Danish sheep herding competition in Aalborg. For that reason I am selling my complete set of O'Riordan Traveler whistles and my fully keyed blackwood Olwell flute <i>cheaply</i>. Note: I will only ship to destinations in Denmark."

B. "Hi, this is Andrea Corr. My sisters and I are going on a trip to Copenhagen and need a place to crash."

C. "Mike McGoldrick is offering free flute lessons, will all travel expenses paid, for those interested."

:smile:

(Re B. In this case I would of course refer them to one of my bachelor friends).

Jens
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-30 02:49, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
Most every decently populated newsgroup I've ever participated in had a FAQ that addressed these totally rehashed topics..perhaps we should look into doing the same?

I was fixing to say that, but I see you already said it. Hopefully the FAQ could be shown when they sign up.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-30 04:34, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
D. I have a Copeland low G, a Busman high D in bloodwood, and a Bernard Overton low D, and am willing to part with them as a set for US$15. Walden gets first dibs.
Reasonable person
Walden
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

13. Here's a recipe for...
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2003-01-30 04:34, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
One the Flute Forum:

E.
"Hello List, I am new here and am not really into all this flute business. Actually I collect antique tea-pots. I visit lots and lots of markets and came across this fluty thingy call Rudall and Rose, or something...
It's probably junk, but I bought it anyways (for £20) anyone interested - I'll pay shipping."