Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hey Jason! thanks for the pipes cumpliment, in fact I´ve always suspected that Palo Blanco would be similar to boxwood. It´s a semi-hard wood but very compact, it reacts very well to be turned and it´s a desert tree. There are many hard woods in Argentina, like guayacan, quebracho, among others.
Marcelo
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

[quote="Reepicheep"]A pic of my Daye half set:
quote]
Hi Reep, Does the sound of the Daye chanter bright as a wooden chanter or it´s mellow?
Cause my chanter (in the pic of page 87) is a brassmaiden inner bore, and I ´ve been told that it has a mellow tone, and I wanna know if it´s due to a mellow reed or due to the chanter itself.
Thanks
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

I think that most persons (with a more critical/sensitive ear than myself) would say that the Daye Pennychanters tend to sound a bit more harsh than a traditional wooden chanter. I have yet to see the Pennychanter described as "mellow." Caveat: I haven't been listening/playing long enough to differentiate between makes of chanters yet (with Kirk Lynch's chanters being a noteable exception... they sound very bright and clear to my ear).
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
AaronMalcomb

border pipes

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Here are some pics of my Franken-Border Pipes in the key of A.

The Heriot & Allan drones are made of labunum with imitation horn mounts and ferrules with brass ferrule on mainstock.

The Garvie chanter is made of mopane with a brass ferrule on the stock.

The bellows, connector, and blowpipe/stock are of C&F's on Jim Shaefer's design. Jim worked tirelessly with me to find materials that will compliment the pipes. The bellows clappers are Brazilian cherry and the rest of the woodwork is in paduka. The paduka ages to a deeper, browner color which will correspond to the laburnum and mopane. All of the trimmings are brass and imitation horn. If you've played Jim's bellows you know they are luxurious and Jim's customer service is 5-star.

Oh, and the bag is MacHarg.
Cheers,
Aaron
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

very nice! I like paduka. What is that thing sticking out at the end of the tenor drone?
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Those things are little plugs that are attached by a string to the drone caps, kind of a like the" ball in a cup" game.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Recently acquired Lowland Pipes ..in Scotland they are known as such(not to be confused with Scottish Smallpipes)... in England they are known as Half Long Pipes..in recent times they have gotten the generic term Border Pipes although it must be a long border as they were common all along the eastern coast o Scotland for hundreds o years,must be the border with the North Sea ?
Made by John Burke copied frae early 19th Century set in Morpeth Museum.Chanter in a, Bass Tenor and Alto drones.A,a and e.Palisander wood (Madagascan Rosewood) with Boxwood mounts

ImageImageImage
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lovely set Uilliam.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Uilliam wrote:Recently acquired Lowland Pipes ..in Scotland they are known as such(not to be confused with Scottish Smallpipes)... in England they are known as Half Long Pipes..in recent times they have gotten the generic term Border Pipes although it must be a long border as they were common all along the eastern coast o Scotland for hundreds o years,must be the border with the North Sea ?
Made by John Burke copied frae early 19th Century set in Morpeth Museum.Chanter in a, Bass Tenor and Alto drones.A,a and e.Palisander wood (Madagascan Rosewood) with Boxwood mounts

ImageImageImage
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Nice mighty set there Uilliam! :D I particularily like the most right pictures of the Madagascarian Rosewood. How is it in pitch? I noticed the electrical or some other tape on the top holes. How is the volume on the chanter and drones?

If you could record a tune or two on 'clips and snips' it would be great to listen to.. :)

Daryl
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

upiper71 wrote: I noticed the electrical or some other tape on the top holes.
I think you were looking at my Garvie chanter in the pictures above, Daryl. It has tape on the F, High A and both G's because it has a carved GHB reed.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
upiper71 wrote: I noticed the electrical or some other tape on the top holes.
I think you were looking at my Garvie chanter in the pictures above, Daryl. It has tape on the F, High A and both G's because it has a carved GHB reed.
Whoopsee! You're right... :lol: Nice looking set regardless... :D
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Here are some photos of a recent set of drones made by one of our SLPC members. Macassar ebony and brass. Pretty brilliant work considering this is (I believe) only his third set of drones made! Having heard the first two, I doubt these will be lacking in tonality or balance. Got a talented bunch of guys out here!

upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Brian Lee wrote:Here are some photos of a recent set of drones made by one of our SLPC members. Macassar ebony and brass. Pretty brilliant work considering this is (I believe) only his third set of drones made! Having heard the first two, I doubt these will be lacking in tonality or balance. Got a talented bunch of guys out here!

Hey Brian,

I have to say I'm really impressed on the set in question...3rd time eh? Very nice. A friend of mine near here had a few question about barrel drones recently, I like it! Talented bunch....for sure...without a doubt.

Pictures really do speak a 1000 words. A new bar has been raised.

Daryl
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I don't believe these are barrel drones.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I don't believe these are barrel drones.
Quite right. My error.. :o

D