TVFolk.net – Scandinavian and Baltic folk music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MR

Post by MR »

If you are into contemporary folk and ethno music from Scandinavia and northern Europe be sure to visit this site. It’s a nice little archive with video clips taken at various folk festivals in Sweden and around the Baltic Sea.

This site is supported by The Swedish National Council for Cultural Affairs and The Nordic Cultural Fund so there are NO ads, popups, banners or registration, just great music

<a href="http://www.tvfolk.net"><b>TVFolk.net</b></a><br>

To see Jonas Simonsson perform a “halling” on willow flute click on the Swedish flag and then the group name “Bäsk”. Hidden among all fiddle tunes you might find some rare contributions like east European bagpiping or Olga Shishkinas performance on Zither( The Uralish dance, Russia).

Just didn’t want you to miss out on this :smile:

Cheers!

/MarcusR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MR on 2002-09-27 09:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MR on 2002-09-28 01:29 ]</font>
MR

Post by MR »

I changed the topic and bounced this message back up once more.
It cleared the first page within a few hours. I thought it deserved a few more views.

Sorry, if I made anyone recheck it.

/MarcusR
Arto_Vallivirta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

Some great Finnish tunes there as well. (Click the flag of Finland.) Check out Värttinä's Äijö. It's a modern tune tune still very deep in musical traditions of eastern Finland. The band has some Irish influence since the bozouki player of the band is also a great whistler. He sometimes can be seen in sessions around here.

/Arto
MR

Post by MR »

Hi Arto!

Forgot about this post but just wanted to say that I stumbeled across Varttinas first album on a garage sale last weekend.
Great stuff and some good whistling. Doing my best to learn Tuskovin polska. Would like to use it as a break in a set of jigs.

Cheers!

MarcusR
kyrios

Post by kyrios »

Quite an extensive site. Some of the music brings back memories of the Halsing Lodge Christmas parties that my grandmother took me to when I was a kid.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Varttina (excuse missing accents) are a knockout. More estrogen in *one* of their songs than in a whole Corrs concert. There are a lot of very good Finnish groups and artists.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

If you are a fan of Altan or Sharon Shannon, click on the Swedish flag and see Swap (there's a circle over the "a"). Even though there are no whistles, there are a couple of good reels and a good slip-jig (or Polska).
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

BTW, the women of Swap are cutie-pies! :grin:
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

I've been checking out this site a bit, good stuff. Here's some tunes with penny whistle from the band Markamot, looks like the guy is playing a Sweetone or Meg!

http://www.tvfolk.net/artistVideo.asp?I ... ution=high
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

My favourites from that site (so far) are Bask- particularly the Vals fran Munkadel, Frifot-the set that starts with Ale Moller playing the cow horn (Agram). I really like his bass-drone mandola playing. He's made a great record with Aly Bain too. The other one is Josephine's Waltz by Vasen. It's a beautiful tune by Roger Tallroth, the guitar player. Dervish recorded that on an early album. Those are all in the Swedish section. Interesting baritone sax playing on the Bask cut.

Steve
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Thank you so much for this great link!

And thanks again for the bump, otherwise I'd have overlooked it :oops:
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

SteveK wrote:My favourites from that site (so far) are Bask- particularly the Vals fran Munkadel, Frifot-the set that starts with Ale Moller playing the cow horn (Agram). I really like his bass-drone mandola playing. He's made a great record with Aly Bain too. The other one is Josephine's Waltz by Vasen. It's a beautiful tune by Roger Tallroth, the guitar player. Dervish recorded that on an early album. Those are all in the Swedish section. Interesting baritone sax playing on the Bask cut.

Steve
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Olga Shishkina playing the Russian Gusli is pretty amazing. She looks quite young, but her fingers can fly. All are good, but the tune "Barynia" really smokes:

peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

BoneQuint wrote:
SteveK wrote:My favourites from that site (so far) are Bask- particularly the Vals fran Munkadel, Frifot-the set that starts with Ale Moller playing the cow horn (Agram). I really like his bass-drone mandola playing. He's made a great record with Aly Bain too. The other one is Josephine's Waltz by Vasen. It's a beautiful tune by Roger Tallroth, the guitar player. Dervish recorded that on an early album. Those are all in the Swedish section. Interesting baritone sax playing on the Bask cut.

Steve
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Olga Shishkina playing the Russian Gusli is pretty amazing. She looks quite young, but her fingers can fly. All are good, but the tune "Barynia" really smokes:

Holy Cow! Little Olga can really go on that thing. :)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Zubivka, I’m glad you liked it.

And thanks BoneQuint for digging this up from the forgotten realms of the Chiffboard.

I know that the people behind tvfolk put in a lot of time and effort to provide a great and free on-line video archive for contemporary traditional music from northern Europe. It truly is a great site and they do deserve a lot of visitors.

These kinds of threads die pretty quickly and they are usually quite hard to dig up. If you don’t know that they exist, you don’t know what to search for either.
Maybe its time to start an on-line resources section to “Chiff Links”

Cheers!

/MarcusR
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I enjoyed Folknet too. That girl playing the zither thing intrigued me. Is she damping the strings she doesn't want to sound?? That's what it seemed like....

But the site is just further proof of the depth of diversity out there in Musicland, especially compared to the corporate effluent piped in to us via tv.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?