Anyone for Pipeline?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

My absolute favourite Irish CD for last year was 'Pipeline' by Dermot Hyde (uilleann pipes, whistles) and Tom Hake (guitar, bouzouki) on endirecto records. Now this took me by surprise. I know absolutely nothing about these guys. Does anybody know who they are? What (if anything) have they recorded together or separately apart from 'Pipeline'? Is there a follow-up release? Does anybody else share my high opinion of this release?
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

Yes, a very nice album it is indeed and quite a mixture in music styles, from traditionals arranged to own compositions.

The two live in Germany, Dermot in Munich town centre and as far as I know Tom as well, but am not 100% sure about him. As Munich is on the other side of Germany from where we are I have not had the luck to see any gigs of them and have not seen any announcements, too but would love to see them knowing the album and a little bit about them as persons. There is a website http://www.pipeline-music.de/ but it has not been updated for a while, the link to the co.uk site works but there is no relating info to find, yet. Also interesting to know might be that Dermot is a caricaturist (don't know if I got the word right) and I find his ideas (in small books published as well) hillarious, might not be every man's cup of tea but I am sure nearly every women's :smile:

Brigitte
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Wow, thanks Brigitte. I couldn't have asked for a better start. Dermot's sense of humour that comes accross in his words and singing really appeals to me.

As for caricature, the only sign of that I've seen so far was probably unintentional. At one point he sings of an evicted Irish immigrant to New South Wales only continuing to suffer from the sadness grief and woe she hoped to leave behind. Now, times were tough 150 years ago for all immigrants without money. But as a descendent of victims of the Highland clearances with cousins similarly descended from victims of the Irish potato famines, the evictions there etc., I can only say that we recall our Gaelic-speaking grandparents and great grandparents as a resilient lot who responded to the challenges rather more positively than that. They laid the platforms we now stand on. (How nice it is to be an insider for once.)

For C&F-ers who want a treat, check out Pipeline.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I saw Pipeline a couple of years ago at a bagpipe festival. They played a slot in what I remember as the "24 hours of Balingen", a bagpipe-marathon concert with 18 bagpipe groups from 18 different countries (the concert seemed to last forever!). Maybe for this reason I was not too impressed with them, especially with Dermot's piping. I haven't heard the CD though, so I cannot comment on that one. It was received quite favourable in the Irish Music Magazine, as far as I remember.

Christian

(Edit: Oh, and: Dermont is a Scotsman, by the way!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChristianRo on 2002-09-27 02:54 ]</font>
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Hi Wombat,you have good taste mate!Its also one of my favourites.I met Dermot last year in Vienna and he was very encouraging with my whistle tweaking..he,s a lovely bloke and extremely funny,and an absolute demon player.They both were members of "Mallin Head"and some recordings may exist,I,m not sure.I asked my friend Niki Eggle,who runs a music shop here and is a former member of Mallin Head if a 2nd CD was being planned and he said unfortunately not at this time.Pipeline was never available in the shops here and I suspect distribution problems were, and still are, in existence.Pipeline has nothing to do with surf music..just the thought of Dermot on a surfboard is cracking me up.:smile: Mike
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Pipeline has nothing to do with surf music..just the thought of Dermot on a surfboard is cracking me up.:smile: Mike
[/quote]

I awoke one morn in the month of May
with surfin' on my mind
I'd dreamt of Carolina
where I knew they'd like my kind
My mother cried for laughing
while looking back on me
for I was wearing board shorts
and going away to sea.

Do you think we could get him to sing it. Best I can do in five minutes.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On their CD, what's the ratio of pipes to whistles on their tunes? Mostly pipes or mostly whistle?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-09-27 05:12, blackhawk wrote:
On their CD, what's the ratio of pipes to whistles on their tunes? Mostly pipes or mostly whistle?
Enough of both to satisfy anybody interested more in one than the other. Quite a lot of overdubbing I think as well. But it's the joyous spirit, the sense of LIFE, the lift, that just pervades the whole album.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-09-27 05:06, Wombat wrote:
Pipeline has nothing to do with surf music..just the thought of Dermot on a surfboard is cracking me up.:smile: Mike
I awoke one morn in the month of May
with surfin' on my mind
I'd dreamt of Carolina
where I knew they'd like my kind
My mother cried for laughing
while looking back on me
for I was wearing board shorts
and going away to sea.

Do you think we could get him to sing it. Best I can do in five minutes.
[/quote]
Good one Wombat..maybe this would also help him win over the surfing community down under.:smile:
The sun went down,an aged man,
The beach he must depart.
He kissed his surfboard tenderly,
In half,now broke apart.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I like it Mike. Somehow I don't think we're going to get lyricist credits on the follow-up album though. On the other hand, if music that good can't get released in the States, we've got to do something to make it well ... more popular. And Dermot seems to have the sense of humour for it.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

OK, I give up. I can't find it on amazon.com, nor custy's, nor knottedchord.com, nor dara records, nor green linnet. Are they hiding, or what? How do I get a CD?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-09-27 06:13, blackhawk wrote:
OK, I give up. I can't find it on amazon.com, nor custy's, nor knottedchord.com, nor dara records, nor green linnet. Are they hiding, or what? How do I get a CD?
Here's a sugestion that I think might still work. Try *Celtic Southern Cross* which is a mail-order place in Tasmania, Australia. (Why did I put it that way, is there a Tasmania somewhere else?) They're good friends of mine there but if you say Wombat sent you they won't know what you're talking about (I hope.) If you're not Australian, the exchange rate will be in your favour and should bring the price back to what you were expecting to pay. I don't have their URL handy but a search will find them immediately. You might see some other CDs you want while you're there so be prepared. Hope that works.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Thanks Wombat, I'll give that a try.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-09-27 02:52, ChristianRo wrote:

(Edit: Oh, and: Dermont is a Scotsman, by the way!)
That's a surprise to me Christian. I think I read somewhere that his brother lives in Scotland. His singing doesn't sound Scottish to me but sounds don't have passports, people do of course.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Wombat,it seems I was wrong about the Flook /Mallin Head connection.However,John Joe was the other guys teacher and does bear a ressemblance in both appearance and playing style.I spoke today to Nikki Eggle ex Mallin Head and he confirmed this, as well as distribution problems with Pipelines label, Endirecto.If you or anyone else would like to contact Dermot privately I can post his email address in your private messages box. Mike
PS Nikki also said the Irish festival recording is all there is and muttered 94 or 95...he doesnt feel it to be truly representative of the band.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-09-28 15:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-09-28 15:50 ]</font>