FS Carl Bell Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

FS Carl Bell Flute

Post by fsharp »

Hi, apologies if this posts twice, as i think I made a mistake earlier!
I'm selling my Carl Bell Acetal D flute, about five months old and in great condition, it plays 2 or 3 cents shy of A440, but that's fine if you play solo or with a tuneable instrument. It comes with a Dixon roll case.
Thanks,
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

oops!!!

Post by fsharp »

I forgot to mention that I would prefer to sell to a UK address, and that I am no longer in Cambridge, having moved to Herefordshire
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

the flute has a tuning slide, silver(?) rings, modelled on a Rudall I think, and I'm asking for £100
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I can't vouch for Bell's flutes one way or the other, but - at the risk of sounding critical (mostly because the criticism might help your sale) it's unlikely that your flute, with slide, is shy of A440; it's more probably the way you're blowing it.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

Fsharp, what can you tell us about the flute? How does it play? How does it sound? How's the craftsmanship? How much do you like it?

I've not been able to find much about Carl Bell's flutes on the web. I did find one very brief reference that said this: "Carl Bell : a very intimate sound, very beautiful flutes without keys."

In the original French it said, "Carl Bell : un son très feutré, très belles flutes sans clés." I'm not sure about the translation of feutré. That usually means padded or felt-like, I think. It may mean that these are soft in volume.

On Bell's web site, it says he uses nickel silver (which isn't really silver but an alloy of copper, nickel, and often zinc) and brass for the slides.
fsharp

Carl Bell Flute

Post by fsharp »

Hi, I'll be able to post some photos in the next day or so, it's a little difficult at present as I no longer have a PC at home, and have to sneak the odd 10 minutes to go online at work
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Bell Flute

Post by fsharp »

I cannot upload any photographs of the flute, but if anyone is interested (UK only) I can send it on approval at my discretion, or if not too far away You can visit, and have a look. When I get back to my own PC in a couple of weeks I will put it on ebay and I can put photos on my wife's Facebook or whatever it is!!
Harry
"is it about a bicycle"?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

The flute's on a well known auction site, just search for Carl Bell there.
"is it about a bicycle"?