MTGuru Low D Thumb Strap

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

MTGuru Low D Thumb Strap

Post by MTGuru »

A few weeks ago I finally took the plunge into the netherworld as the new owner of a nice Goldie-Overton Low D. I immediately ran up against a minor problem that I'm sure faces other high whistle players making the transition to the Low D. Namely, how to support and stabilize the bottom of the whistle when the pinkie is no longer usable for this because of piper's grip.

Of course, one answer is to use the bottom B3 finger on the B3 hole, lifting it when necessary. After a week or so, this technique began to feel pretty natural. Meanwhile, it felt like some sort of additional support would be helpful in adjusting to the size, weight and grip of the larger instrument.

My first idea was to add a thumbrest. But the plastic thumbrests I have were either the wrong size or too brittle to snap into position. And sliding up from the bottom might risk scratching the whistle.

So taking a cue from the world of recorders (and maybe saxophones!), I devised a Low D thumb strap that would meet the following criteria:

o Support the weight of the instrument.
o Place bottom hand in proper piper's grip position.
o Adjustable length.
o Non-permanent attachment to the instrument.
o No damage, scratches etc. to the instrument.
o No effect on intonation
o Comfortable enough for extended playing.

After trying out a few different ideas, I decided on this simple but effective design:

Image Image

The hook is a standard brass picture hanger wall hook covered in black plastic heat-shrink tubing to protect and cushion the whistle. And the strap is a 27-inch soft woven round shoelace (that happens to be green!), tied in a sort of double loop to fit the size of my hand and whistle. If there's any interest, I can post details about coating the hook and tying the strap.

Here it is in action:

Image Image

The hook simply hooks the bell of the whistle, and is small enough not to affect intonation. The strap loops over the bottom thumb and places it approximately behind the B1 hole. You can fine-adjust the length of the strap by positioning the hook around the bell and/or by twisting the strap a time or two to shorten it.

It's comfortable to use, it enforces a consistent bottom hand position, and it's not too conspicuous. A kind of "training wheels" for the Low D, but suitable for regular use, too.

It's also cheap, and any combination of cord/string and small non-scratching hook might do. I used parts on hand, but purchased new the cost is roughly:

Package of picture hangers: $1
Pair of Shoelaces: $2
Heat-shrink tubing: $1
TOTAL: $4

Among recorder players there have been debates about the good and bad effects of using thumb supports. So maybe this sort of device isn't for you. Otherwise, a thumb strap might be just the thing for anyone who wants or needs additional Low D support.

Questions and comments are welcome ... Enjoy! :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BTW, there was a thread a while back from a fellow who had lost half of his right thumb, and was having difficulty holding on to his high whistle.

At the time, I recommended a snap-on thumb rest. But I now think a thumb strap is a better solution. It easily fits the remaining thumb, and allows a lot of lateral flexibility of thumb position. A smaller hook and shorter cord could easily fit a high whistle.

For other players with hand problems such as arthritis or RSI, a thumb strap might also be helpful. Just a thought.

Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

That's an ingenious idea!!

Thanks for sharing, I think this can help many people!
scheky

Post by scheky »

You know, if you didn't distract so easily, you would be well on your way with some nefarious plan to take over the world. Heck, you probably would have done it twice by now.

Still, even though I seem to keep ahold of mine just dandy, I can see where this would help a lot of the smaller-handed.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

What an excellent idea. I too had trouble transferring from high D to low, and persuaded my husband to make me a thumb rest out of plastic, similar to those on Susatos. It always feels uncomfortable, though, due to the size it has to be (and I have quite small hands so it is relatively bigger). I shall try your idea when I have five minutes and a picture hook! Thanks a lot.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmm.... gee uncle M, reading the title I thought sure you were going to tells us how to use an extra O ring for a thumb rest. I tried an O ring, and a few diy clips. But finely with practice, I now hold my low whistles and bass with the RH thumb and ring finger, alternating with my LH index and thumb. Well with your new holder a person can always take there whistle for a walk, along with the dog. :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice, practical idea, MT, though a touch obtrusive visually! One could easily make one's own designer hook from a paper-clip - even use the pre-plastic coated variety. Many years ago when I played a piece in which I needed a swift change from high C to high D whistle, I made paperclip rings-with loops to fit snugly around the tubes and had string necklets passed through the loops - bingo! whistles hung around neck - drop one, grab other.....

I'm a bit puzzled from your pic that you are having any problem holding "The Beast", though MT - looks to me as though your R little finger would prop the tube just fine as normal. I use a very similar semi-piper's hold on low whistle with R hand and my little finger does the job.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:Nice, practical idea, MT, though a touch obtrusive visually!
Well, something other than bright green would definitely be a bit more subtle. :-)

A coated paper clip was my second choice as a hook, Jem, and inspired the idea of the heat-shrink. And that's a great idea of yours about the neck straps.
jemtheflute wrote:I'm a bit puzzled from your pic that you are having any problem holding "The Beast"
It does look OK in the posed photo. But in practice, the little finger doesn't quite reach without shifting the hand position.

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:that's a great idea of yours about the neck straps.
Thanks! - Well it certainly served well enough at the time - the whistles in question were Gens, so a simple, snug wire ring could just be slid over the tube and up to the head - all secure but no permanent fixing or damage required. Obviously could be adapted to a conical tube like a Clarkes or a Shaw - the expansion of the tube would stop the ring, suitably sized to get stuck in the right place. Wouldn't be so easy on something like an Abell, unless you need the tuning slide a little open anyway and could fit your necklet-attachment-ring around the slide tube. Wouldn't work at all on an all cylindrical thing like a Goldie Overton without fitting on some kind of stop-lug at least semi-permanantly. All that said, I've never had occasion to use the set up in about the last 20 years - even the set I originally used it for, I subsequently re-learnt the last tune (which I'd wanted the D for) with "A maj" fingering on the C, so changing instrument became redundant. Having two whistles hung round one's neck looks cool/geeky???? (Not sure which!) And if you aren't using either whilst playing something else and start bopping to the beat, they bang together - irritating and unprofessional! It was an idea that successfully served a need at the time, but not one that has proved long-term useful.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Wow MT, thats a lot less complicated than my idea.

Patent Pending of course.

Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Where's the pint pot holder?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Nothing works like a pint to get a whistler to let go of his instrument.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

mahanpots wrote:Nothing works like a pint to get a whistler to let go of his instrument.
Bah!

Whistle = Handy Straw

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Having run into this problem on the first low D I got to 'meet' on tour, I solved it similarly, but instead of making it a strap attached to the thumb, I simply hung the thing around my neck. Same principal, with same pivot point (the bottom of the low whistle tube), just a different anchor point (neck rather than thumb). If I recall, I used either a guitar or sax strap. Worked great! I sent it on with the whistle on the tour.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

anniemcu wrote:I used either a guitar or sax strap. Worked great! I sent it on with the whistle on the tour.
That's so like you, annie.

I tried my old Ray Hyman alto sax neck strap, but fully extended it puts the top of the whistle up around the middle of my forehead.

In order to play like that, I would have to ... blow my mind. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!! :lol: ).