Anderson Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anderson Whistle

Post by benbrad »

Does anyone have any experience with Anderson whisltes? I saw two just placed on Ebay. They are made in Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anderson-Irish-Whis ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anderson-Irish-Whis ... dZViewItem
Ben
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

These came up a day or so ago here:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=56318

I have exchanged email with the maker concerning his whistles on eBay and he has been friendly and informative. That's about all I could say at this point. I have suggested that he stop by Chiff and Fipple to say g'day.

I have seen his whistles on a wood working forum as well.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Australia has become quite the hotspot for whistlemakers! I hope to see someone post an audio clip once they get their hands on one of his whistles.
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

I e-mailed Anderson and asked for an audio clip and he said he would try to put one on the auction site.
Ben
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

anderson

Post by Mr.Nate »

I like the cooktown iron wood!

Nice heavey mouthpiece with a narrow windway...hmm.

Looks like a thin weasal or a busman! Of course handmade whistles all differ!

Maybe if we all agree to just let one person bid on it then it would be affordable at 185$ but the shipping is a bit much for a whistle.

Erle sent me a set of syns wrapped in a victoria bitters box with a couple of bucks worth of stamps on it. It must cost more for the insurance!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

It's nice to see the cooktown ironwood one as well. The previous one didn't show the "A" stamped on it so clearly and I initially thought it was a wood blemish or knot on the boonaree one.
Mr.Nate

anderson

Post by Mr.Nate »

My thought is that you can get a Busman or an O'Brien for that price. I am sure Paul can get cooktown ironwood.

The return policy is nice but if you end up sending it back you are still looking at 50-60$ for a round of shipping plus your time boxing it up and trying to get your money back.

On the other hand his whistle might have a special quality or tone that is really good and the whistle may be worth more.

Doc had a special wood whistle made by Ian Simpson out of redrivergumwood ,sold for around 299$ used! It looked more like a LonDubh though, not a weasel.
http://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite/ ... =orphanage

Mitch sold his Ian Simpson whistle and used the money to buy a lathe to start making his OZ whistle!! Love to try one of those too.

Nate
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr. Nate wrote:My thought is that you can get a Busman or an O'Brien for that price.
Yeah, we know that. I don't think this thread is about whether you can get another whistle from a known maker for $185. I think we are all interested in the fact that there is a new maker of wooden whistles out there and folks are asking if anyone has tried his whistles yet. As we all know, you can't tell a book by it's cover. We have no idea if the asking price is realistic or not. As a maker myself, I'll offer that the cost of making such a whistle is pretty hefty - lathes and other tooling ain't cheap. The "exotic" woods are a blip in the cost of making the whistle. And since no one here has played one, I am reserving my judgements until I can put one through its paces. I like trying new whistles when they come around. And I like talking to the folk that make whistles. I learn a lot from other makers (and good players). You never know until you give them a chance. Let's wait for Brad to check in with us. Maybe we can interest him in "whistle tour".

Feadoggie
Mr.Nate

anderson

Post by Mr.Nate »

Ouch...

It was just a thought. Nothing to get too excited about. There are quite a few new whistle makers in Australia and he may very well be an upcoming maker. I would also be interested in hearing a clip and trying one myself. Sorry if offended you about my comment. I leave the posting up to you from now on.

Thanks
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr. Nate, sorry if I have sounded too strong in that last post. I guess I'm just using "Grumpy words" today. I'll go back to lurking now.

Feadoggie
Mr.Nate

anderson

Post by Mr.Nate »

Feadoggie,

I appriciate the kind words!

Best Wishes,

Nate
shadowformz

Anderson whistles

Post by shadowformz »

G'Day everyone, and its a pleasure to see the keen interest in my whistles, i'm currently on your forum from a computer at work so i haven't much time but i'd love to answer a couple of questions if you have any. Regards Brad
Tommy

Re: Anderson whistles

Post by Tommy »

shadowformz wrote:G'Day everyone, and its a pleasure to see the keen interest in my whistles, i'm currently on your forum from a computer at work so i haven't much time but i'd love to answer a couple of questions if you have any. Regards Brad
Welcome to C&F Brad. Very nice looking whistles.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

shadowformz, greetings!

As you can see "inquiring minds want to know" about you and your whistles. The pictures you show on eBay look great. What can you share with us about how you got into making these whistles? What are your influences in designing them? You know, the usual chit-chat.

It's not everyday that a "new" maker pops up.

Feadoggie
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

Anderson sent me three sound clips of the whistle. The playing skill of the person being recorded was a bit limited and so I don't believe them to be a fair example of the whistle's capabilities. I was not impressed with the sound for that reason. I would like to hear what a really skilled player could do with it.
Ben