Synth. dronereeds for UP by pipedreams

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Synth. dronereeds for UP by pipedreams

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Scott Loftus

Post by Scott Loftus »

I have used them for years competing with Highland Bagpipes. Many of the top solo players use them also, few people use cane drone reeds anymore for the Highland Bagpipe. The orignal imitation cane reed were very coarse and not mellow enough, they have come a very long way needing next to no maintenance. The chanter reed is still cane, they haven't been able to duplicate that sound, yet...
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Very widely used in GHBs, as others have mentioned. I use Hendersons in mine, but I've tried the Ezeedrone reeds and like them as well. Some players perefer to put synthetics in the tenors and then use a cane bass to give the sound a bit more depth.

These could be helpful if you're playing pipes in very adverse conditions, I suppose...As synthetic reeds were originally developed for GHBs to minimize cutting out and the need to frequently re-tune as is often the case with wet-blown cane reeds, they're on the whole of less usefulness with dry-blown reeds--unless you're out in the desert (or stuck in the middle of a Finnish winter, maybe). I'm sure they're incredibly steady and reliable, but I think I'll stick with cane myself...
elbowmusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I haven't tried them in uilleann pipes, (yet, only a matter of time) but as far as bellows blown instruments, I use them in my border pipes and smallpipes. I'm from Maine and the dry winters were just killer on cane reeds. These pipedreams reeds sound great and stay sounding great. I love cane, i really do, but what sounds better? Drones that are playing steady with pretty darn good sound, or really great sounding drones that are wavering and shutting off?
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

Post by elbowmusic »

I haven't tried them in uilleann pipes, (yet, only a matter of time) but as far as bellows blown instruments, I use them in my border pipes and smallpipes. I'm from Maine and the dry winters were just killer on cane reeds. These pipedreams reeds sound great and stay sounding great. I love cane, i really do, but what sounds better? Drones that are playing steady with pretty darn good sound, or really great sounding drones that are wavering and shutting off?
-Nate Banton-
elbowmusic

Post by elbowmusic »

-Nate Banton-
elbowmusic

pipedreams

Post by elbowmusic »

-Nate Banton-
elbowmusic

wha?

Post by elbowmusic »

Holy crap how did that happen? Did I get my point across?
-Nate Banton-
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

After reading about them on the board, I ordered a set, absolutely first class service. Not really had chance to set then up properly yet, the baritone plays rock steady straight from the box, the bass will need a bit of encouragement to get down to pitch. The tenor, however is a different kettle of fish. Just make sure that you have enough clearance in your stock to fit the reed in. The overall outside diameter of the reed body is just under 10mm. I'm going to have to get the drill out! The only other fault I can find with them is the tuning screw isn't completely airtight but a quick dab of cork grease appears to have sorted that one out.

Jon
Scott Loftus

Post by Scott Loftus »

Most of the pipers I know unscrew the tuning screw and put teflon tape around them and screw them back in, they are prone to air leaks. FYI those bridles are REAL sensitive, if you just barely move them you will hear a difference. Wow, you really gonna drill it out?
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

jon1908 wrote:The tenor, however is a different kettle of fish. Just make sure that you have enough clearance in your stock to fit the reed in. The overall outside diameter of the reed body is just under 10mm.
I took off the rubber that EZ drone uses on the part of the reed that goes into the tenor stock and replaced it with thin waxed dental floss....the reed seats nice in the stock now..maybe that will help for you too.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

For what it's worth, I got this response from Pipedreams:

Thank you for your e-mail. In answer to your question, the sizes of the
seats of our Ezeedrone reeds for Uilleann Pipes are as follows:

Bass 7.25mm
Baritone 6.25mm
Tenor 6.25mm

The above sizes include for a rubber covering on the seat part of the reed.

This may be removed and hemp applied instead if it is found that the seat of
the reed is too large. By removing the rubber covering, this reduces the
seat sizes as follows:

Bass 6.25
Baritone 5.10
Tenor 5.10

We should point out that the reed seats are parallel and not tapered.

We hope the above provides the information you require. Please let us know
if we may be of further assistance.

Kind Regards
Ronnie McShannon
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

I think john 1908 means that the total width of the reed is nealy 10 mm so that it might not fit into the bore of the tenor drone.
mike spencer
billh

Post by billh »

I dislike the sound of any synthetics - especially in the tenor. Don't like the thought of modifying reed seats either. That tenor is definitely not going to fit, at 10mm... If you must try composite type reeds, there are other designs that are more likely to give decent results in the tenor.

Cane reeds can take awhile to settle in - months, even, but once settled I've known some cane quills to be stable in all sorts of weather.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

billh wrote:I dislike the sound of any synthetics - especially in the tenor. Don't like the thought of modifying reed seats either. That tenor is definitely not going to fit, at 10mm... If you must try composite type reeds, there are other designs that are more likely to give decent results in the tenor.

Cane reeds can take awhile to settle in - months, even, but once settled I've known some cane quills to be stable in all sorts of weather.
Agree, but, for the french pipes they are OK. Because the drones of this one is designed for synthetics reeds.
UP drones are not disigned for this reeds. The bores are to big for them what gives gives a loud sound.

But the plastic resist a kinds of weather, what is a good thing.

Groeten,
Patrick