I've made a glow in the dark scarf :D

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

I've made a glow in the dark scarf :D

Post by avanutria »

May I brag for a moment? I'm quite proud of this.

(Hosted by Flickr)

I made this over the weekend from some commercial glow in the dark polyester yarn and some handspun white merino wool. By day it's a normal* scarf, but by night, look out! :D

* if slightly short as I only had so much handspun available. I tend to get impatient before completely filling the bobbin!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Does it really glow in the dark by itself, or does it need some form of UV light to set it off?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It glows after being exposed to any regular light and doesn't need to have UV or anything to glow. Though I imagine it would probably respond to UV as well.

The commercial info on the glowing part says it will glow for up to 4 hours after being exposed to light for one hour.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Just in time for Halloween. Boo.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

That is the coolest thing I've seen in the whole of today!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tyler Morris wrote:That is the coolest thing I've seen in the whole of today!
No kidding. Avanutria and her Atomic Scarf.

I want one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:

I want one.
Perhaps it will replace radioactive iodine as the preferred treatment for hyperthyroidism.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

I want one.
Perhaps it will replace radioactive iodine as the preferred treatment for hyperthyroidism.
For me, an ounce of prevention, anyway...but you couldn't go wrong wedding endocrine therapy to fashion.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
missy

Post by missy »

Ohhhh - where'd you get the glowing yarn? I've been getting into my crochet stuff again, and that's really neat!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That's wonderful, Beth. I'm impressed, and so is my daughter.

Maybe I can persuade her to knit me a glowing scarf. Even a glowing hat-band would be pretty good.

Yeah, I'd like to know where you got the yarn, too.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

I can't help but feel a glow-in-the-dark balaclava would be more effective. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It would be a nifty safety feature at night. At least the traffic accidents probably wouldn't happen to you. :wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Bet this would look great with glow-in-the-dark yarn:

Alien illusion scarf
By Shetha Nolke.
She says: 'Illusion knitting was brought to my attention through an online knitting community. Most illusion patterns - typically hidden hearts or secret x's or o's - were a bit too cutesy for knitters out there today. Once I figured out how it worked, I realised that any knitter who knows the technique can create his or her own illusion design. 'As proof of this, I created the alien illusion motif. Now you see him, now you don't!
The illusion is the result of two things: knitting texture and positive/negative space images. The texture is created by combining knit (flat) with purl (raised) stitches. In order to create the texture it's necessary to knit at a fairly tight tension, but not so tight as to affect the drape of the fabric. Illusion motifs are done with two colours: the positive image colour (green in this case) and the negative, or background colour (black in this case). The image is then created in 'slices', and each slice consists of four rows: two knit in the negative colour, and two in the positive colour. Within these rows, the stitches that make up the image are made with purl stitches. When the scarf is viewed from an angle, only the raised stitches are seen, and the image emerges. Spooky!'

Size: Approx 7" x 86", including fringe.

Materials: Brown Sheep Company Nature Spun Worsted (100% wool; 100g/245 yards).
MC: 1 skein #601 Pepper.
CC: 1 skein #109 Spring Green.
Both approximate to any DK yarn.
US 7 (4.5mm) knitting needles, or size needed to obtain tension.
Crochet hook for attaching fringe.
Tension: 22 sts and 30 rows = 4" in stocking stitch.
Because there are only two rows worked in each colour, the colours can be carried up the side of the scarf. It's important not to pull these stitches too tightly or that edge of the scarf may be shorter than the opposite edge.

Directions : With MC, cast on 40 sts. Follow chart (which can be foundhere) beginning with row 1 (right side). Repeat rows 1-80 5 times more for a total of 6 alien motifs. Cast off loosely in CC.

Finishing Cut 33 strands of yarn in each colour approx 16" in length. To create fringes, gather 3 strands of yarn, fold in half, and pull loop end through the casting on row using a crochet hook. Thread the cut ends through the loop end and pull tightly. Repeat across casting on edge in alternating colours. Repeat with cast on edge.

· The patterns are taken from Stitch 'N Bitch Handbook by Debbie Stoller, published by Workman Publishing. To order a copy for £9.99 with free UK p&p, call the Guardian Book Service on 0870 836 0875 or visit
http://guardian.co.uk/bookshop
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

you just jumped up a few rungs on the scale of coolness.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Only you, Beth. 8)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.