"Every" whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

"Every" whistle tour

Post by Carey »

(edited 30-Oct to add schedules at top to be easy to find)
The whistles were put in the mail on 29-Oct, heading for Greg and Phil.
Let me know what you think and when you send them on.

The whistle schedules:

Whistle 1
1) Greg Adams
3) Peri Holguin
5) Judy Kingrey
7) Ron Kiley
9) Tommy Dion

Whistle 2
2) Phil Sexton
4) Sarah A McUmber-House
(the 'A' is for 'annie')
6) Michelle Osborne
8 ) Art Drummond

(Original post below)
I’ve decided my Every whistles are ready for a tour, so PM me your mailing address if you are interested and I’ll add you to the list below:

The list
1. Greg Adams
2. Phil Sexton
3. Peri Holguin
4. Annie (as in McU)
5. Judy Kingrey
6. Michelle Osborne
7. Ron Kiley
8. Art Drummond
9. Tommy
(your name here)
And maybe Breqwas

I think five to eight people per whistle would be good, and I am willing to send out two whistles this first time around. There’s no official form to fill out, just play the whistle for a while, a week would be about right, and take it to a session if you can. Then let me know what you and any others thought of it.

Be forewarned, it’s a tunable CPVC whistle, and I’ve read some folks don’t care for plastic whistles. But if you want to give it a toot, let me know. I used plastic so I could carry it with me in the swamps and beaches of southwest Florida. I call it the "Every" whistle because everyone should have one so they can take it everywhere.

It comes with a tone ring for adjusting the volume and breathy-ness to which I’m particularly interested in hearing your reactions. You can see photos and read a bit about it at http://www.parkswhistles.com. There are some sounds clips on the whistle page. Look to the bottom of the page for the muting example.

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments.

Carey
Last edited by Carey on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Do you see yourself making a Bb or A in the near future?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Way to go Carey!
My best to ye!

Mack
Carey

Post by Carey »

Blackhawk, yes I have one in the list of things to do. It will be a little while before I get to working on it however. I've got a low D on the workbench now.

Carey

Post by Carey »

Thanks Mack!

preacher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

tour

Post by preacher »

H Cary - I'd like to added to your tour list if still possible. Thanks!
Art Drummond
33 Barnes Street
Greenville, RI 02828
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

Carey, I had a look at your site and I'm very impressed. Your whistles look very nice, and I congratulate on the low price! Bravissimo!

I haven't received your package yet, but before pronouncing it lost I'll wait a few days more. There must be something wrong with Poste Italiane lately, I'm not receiving any mail.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

As i mentioned in my first thread, i'm looking for a cheap Low D whistle for practising grib and style of play amongst other things, before i begin spending way too much money on some of the models i dream about.

Please do post more info about the Low D you're working on, especially if you manage to keep the price at the same level as this. (A price this low makes it possible to buy and pass on as gifts to other interested people too)

After reading info on your page, a ghost Low D seems like an interesting idea, imho.
Carey

Post by Carey »

Art - You are in! I will wait until no other people join the tour for a couple days and then send out the whistles with mailing labels for all.

Guido - I've been trying to be patient. The fact that you are suspecting mail issues gives me reason to hope. Let's wait a bit more (and I'll make more whistles in the meantime.)

Right now the price is too low for the time involved, but I've got some ideas to improve my manufacturing process should demand justify the investment in tooling. I hope I can keep it where it is.

ElPollo - I will update my blog as I work on the low D. Watch for updates at http://www.parkswhistles.com. I'm working on how to make the head for whistles of that diameter with my meager machines. I'm certian that it will be a three piece whistle so I can fit the parts into the lathe. The other benefit will be you can vary the offset between your two hands and the head to make fingering more comfotable. Per another thread just posted, Glenn didn't get into low D Water Weasels and I suspect there are issues with pipe diameter etc. that cause the octaves to be less balanced than one would like. But I made a rough hack at a low D out of 1/2 inch PVC a while ago and aside from being pretty quiet I enjoyed playing it. So it might be a low D "starter" whistle for people to mess around with. We'll see. Mack Hoover does low D's in CPVC, so it must be possible. But then again, Mack may have a deal with some fairies in Ireland so his whistles all play nicely.

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

So... it seems Carey has made it possible that the grip of WhOA can be relieved (theoretically, that is) with the purchase of just one single whistle... "Why, yes, I do own (an) Every Whistle." ... fiendishly clever ... but i fear it will fail, as the other whistles already know my name, and whisper to me constantly.

I look forward to testing my resolve. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Carey

Post by Carey »

Ha! yet another angle on the "Every" moniker. Thanks Annie.

Complete this sentence:

"Everytime everyone plays their Every whistle ..."

Carey

Post by Carey »

OK folks, this is last call for tour membership. If I don't get any new additions over the weekend I'll send out whistles on Monday.

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Carey wrote:OK folks, this is last call for tour membership. If I don't get any new additions over the weekend I'll send out whistles on Monday.

Add me if there is room?
Tommy
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Bumping this to the top so it will be easier to see who gets the whistles first. :)
Carey

Post by Carey »

I edited the original post at the top to contain the whistle tour lists for each of the two whistles.

(Breqwas, I'll send you the first whistle that comes back to me off the tour unless you do something else first.)