Hijacked Whistle Tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hijacked Whistle Tour

Post by PhilO »

Yes, I'm guilty of hijacking. Got a delrin (first one made I think) Oz from Mitch and stopped the planned tour cold. We are in a hectic state here now, as we're closing on our first house in a few days and moving. I don't have time now to do either the whistle or a review justice, so I'll be (mercifully) brief as I did want to get a mention in. It's a black delrin with cast sterling silver fittings. Cosmetically it's a real looker with Oz designs etched into the three ferrules and the bottom of the headpiece, along with the key in one and the serial number on another, and a large Oz also in the headpiece. There are three non-distracting little pins in the head (Mitch explained this in one of the threads).

It's tuneable, with a brass slide that's machined to perfect tolerance, i.e., adjusts easily without any hint of slippage.

As I have probably the three finest delrin high D whistles made - Abell, Busman (little green man), and Oz - I've been playing them a lot lately and comparing as much as possible. I'll avoid the overly scientific detailed stuff - you'd be pleased as punch to find any one of them in your stocking. The Oz is about as light as the Busman and lighter than the Abell, probably due to that chunky Abell mouthpiece.

It's as responsive as called for by my meager talents and has a lovely and relatively bright and pure tone. The real treat is really nice balance between octaves both in volume and tone; that is, no noticeable tradeoffs in that while the upper is strong yet sweet, the lower is strong and mellow as well.

Suffice to say I like it and will not be passing it on to absorb anyone else's er, input.

Overall well behaved and moderate in air required, backpressure, and volume. My wife prefers its tone to the other two.

And before you go thinking that all delrins are alike, I did have one once that did not have good balance and gave everyone fits trying to reach that high B without terrible squawking; all three of these present no problem in that regard.

Gotta go pack. It's mine, MINE I tells ya! :moreevil:

PhiloHahahahahahahahaha! :moreevil:
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Boooooooo
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

You are kidding right?

You aren't going actually keep it for yourself are you?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Steamwalker wrote:Boooooooo
Never fear - The 78.. batch is is progressing nicely with a certain little delrin number - earmarked for tour-duty in a couple of days.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
walrii

Post by walrii »

Highjacking a whistle tour is certainly a despicable act, but...is there anything more joyful than a whistler with a new whistle? Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, Philo. Rest assured, we all would do the same if the right whistle came along.

(Disclaimer: I kept an O'Brien Rover a few years back on a tour - David sent two whistles on the tour in case that happened!)
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

:wink:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.