Pair of Hawkes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pair of Hawkes

Post by Sillydill »

The flute on the left is an original Riviere & Hawkes (later became Hawkes & Son) and the one on the right is a modern Copley (based on a Hawkes).

The are both very good players! :party: My youngest son doesn't like the original though, he says "It's too Loud!" :D He likes the Baroque flutes (takes after his mother :lol: ).

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Did you just get this on ebay?

I see you bidding all the time.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The light-bulb just went off in my head.
That's the Hawkes the Copley flute is based upon!
Very neat.
cocusflute

G# key

Post by cocusflute »

Notice the problem the G# key presents in a flute with a two section center. An excellent reason for a single piece body.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Aanvil,

Yes, I vigillantly trawl the enternet looking for flutes. I often bid on Ebay, but seldom win. Guess I'm cheap! :D This particular flute was listed as a Piccolo :boggle: and further described as a Piccolo. The photos weren't very good and I wasn't really certain what I had won. But it's a good one! :party:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Cocusflute,

I was excited to be getting a keyed flute with a one-piece body (my first). I thought "Finally I'll get a G# that is strong and on pitch!" But unfortunately the touch for the G# is hiding beneath the long F touch and my squat fingers can't make the touch without venting LH3! :swear:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Nice!

I know we have bid on some of the same items in the past.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is the Riviere & Hawkes, cleaned up nicely.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon