basmati set of pipes,attention janice

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hey janice,
your set of pipes sounds very interesting and surely has a tale behind them.where did you ever come across a set of rowsome droans?i too play a "basmati set" in D and am about to finish putting together one in B. childress chanters, everything else put together in the shop.
one day i may get a full set of special origin, but for now i feel good with what i have.
e-mail me if you ever wish to sell those droans.
there are "ways" to convince ones spouse to participate in pipe acquistion.
best, tansy
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

You can also consider Emailing me. I'd like a match for my Rowesome chanter.

Best,

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
tok

Post by tok »

"basmati",I think is too strong a word, I would call it a hybrid . lol.
janice

Post by janice »

OK, here's the story-
5 years ago I was at a session in Waterloo,Ont.This old scottish guy walked in, spotted me with my pipes,and says,(imagine THICK THICK scots here)"Young lady, I have a set of pipes like that sittin' home in my basement.Would you possibly be interested in them?" Now I had heard all the tales about old people giving away instruments that had been found in their attics, just so's somebody would play them....but not this guy(remember,he's very scottish)-turns out they were his dead buddies pipes-he'd inherited them,didn't know squat about them and wanted to make sure that he got the proper price for them.Other than that, he had no idea what to do with them.
I figured I'd never see him again, but he showed up the following week,pipes in hand.Was I shocked when I saw Rowsome on the stock.Needless to say, that's how I got them after MUCH bartering.
Unfortunately, I don't have the chanters that came with the set(that's another long boring story)but I've still got the bag, bellows, and aforesaid drones.I really want to get a new half set from Joe Kennedy(local guy, very nice pipes)but must sell what i have first(and yes I am interested in selling them).
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

At a risk of sounding redundant... please, any pictures for the history books? I've got a commercially hosted website with plenty of bandwidth and I'd love to do a page on pipes and owners (or previous owners) for all to share. contact me at: tony@gate.net to send your images.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I have an extra set of Rowsome bellows that came with another vintage set of pipes I have. They are obviously quite old, but still exhale okay. The name W.Rousome is stamped on nice grained Mahogany. I emailed Kevin Rowsome and he confirmed that there was a time in the family's history when William spelled the name with a "u" instead of a "w". Leather is black. Straps and tube attached. I'd like to either put them on the elbows of someone trying to unite some old Rowsome pipes, or in the hands some avid historian. For pictures, and offers, contact me at:
lwdickerson@velocitus.net