Experienced makers - Please offer direction

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fiddle2oons

Experienced makers - Please offer direction

Post by fiddle2oons »

I bought Wilber Garvins book a number of years ago and it is a wonderful introduction to the instrument. I keep reading on forums that the measurements are off in his book and you can't produce a proper chanter but I've never seen anyone offer corrections.
1)Can any of you help with chanter bore, hole diameter and placement corrections to his design? -or-
2)Have any of you followed his directions and produced a good product.?
I am ready to grind a chanter reamer, I have been aging some cocobolo but given the expense and work involved I do not want to waste good materials. -or-
3) Scrap his plans and buy ______'s plans/instructions/DVD from ______ (fill in the blanks on what you have proven really works)
Thanks in advance
Bruce

ps there are not any sets in my neighborhood in Florida to measure or I would
brendan ring
antispam: No

Post by brendan ring »

I don't know about the measurements in the book, but my advice would be to find a chanter you like and measure that.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Wilbert's plans have lots of useful information in them. For the bores I would advise comparing with other available info.

In concert pitch, the best data currently available would be the chanter bore published in Iris na bPiobairi (Summer 1999 I think) in the Craig Fischer article "Phrenology", plus the dimensions suggested by David Quinn in his Taylor-style drone articles. These are on his Pipes and Pipemaking CD-ROM, which also contains two sets of Leo Rowsome baritone and tenor regulator measurements. I suggest using DMQ's suggested drone dimensions rather than the Taylor originals, since the Taylor drones appear to have been originally pitched flat of concert pitch and *may* have been intended for elder quills (hard to say). Also Chris Bayley has published a diagram showing dimensions for a Leo Rowsome set of concert pitch drones (much larger bores than the Quinn model, FYI). From all the above you should be able to put together a reasonable plan for a concert pitch 3/4 set.

Measuring a set you like is a nice option but it takes a lot of gear, much of which cannot be bought but must be made, to make a thorough bore measurement. While people have successfully made chanters using only "bell and throat" measurements and straight tapered reamers, these original chanters are definitely not straight-sided cones inside; if you want to faithfully copy the original tonehole dimensions and approach the original tone you will need to make similarly shaped reamers.

Bill
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

their is a quinn pipemaking cd rom on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/Pipes-and-Pipemakin ... dZViewItem
Last edited by chanterdan on Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
billh

Post by billh »

I would encourage anyone who wanted the Quinn CD-ROM to purchase it directly from David - he accepts payPal and so this is easy enough.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

billh wrote:I would encourage anyone who wanted the Quinn CD-ROM to purchase it directly from David - he accepts payPal and so this is easy enough.
I'll second that...
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

billh wrote:I would encourage anyone who wanted the Quinn CD-ROM to purchase it directly from David - he accepts payPal and so this is easy enough.
Does anyone have his contact details apart from PM on this forum as he does not seem to visit here much anymore !!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
No E

Post by No E »

rorybbellows wrote: Does anyone have his contact details apart from PM on this forum as he does not seem to visit here much anymore !!

RORY
Yes.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Leech

Post by Leech »

What is David Quinn's website? I would like one of his CD ROMs.
Fex urbis, Lex orbis
billh

Post by billh »

No Website.

As published in the Spring 2007 edition of Iris na bPiobairi:
Iris na bPiobairi wrote:Email dmquinn2u@verizon.net for full table of contents. Price: $35, postage paid within the USA and Canada. Check payable to D. M. Quinn, 1358 Marshall Road, Waterloo NY 13165.
reedman

Post by reedman »

Hi fiddle, have you any experience with useing a lathe or woodturning?
have you got a low veriable speed of around 200-250rpm on a your lathe,
for a concert D, a 18mm-19mm throat length, a throat diameter 5.1mm-5.3mm over the length of the taper bore to a 13.10mm -13.20mm bell, :wink: that should work nicely for a concert D chanter, I used holly blanks for my first dozen test chanters, :really: chris bayley has some free wrosome drone measurements on his web site. all the best, and take care with them sharp tools. :thumbsup:
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Chris Bayley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

WG - Chanter is a bit on the short side (14") at least in the first edition (Based on McFadden ?). Have seen any subsiquent editions / reprinting so do know if anything has changed.

Drawings for a set of drones by Rowsome are available for free on my website

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/Plans/Uilleann-key%20.htm

There are details of a Rowsome chanter on line along with reed making details on David Dayes site

h[url]ttp://polarmet.mps.ohio-state.edu/~bdaye/bagpipes.html[/url]

Pat Sky's Tutor for the Uilleann Pipes (2nd Edition) has drawings for a Rowsome set

NPU sell plans by Alan Ginsberg.

US maker David Quinn has made details of a set of Taylor drones available on line (I will look up the website) and on CD - address as above

Bill Haneman has details of building Main Stocks and a Taylor style Bass drone on his website

http://billhaneman.ie/making.html

I do also have a full set of plans for a Rowsome set and am working on drawings for sets by Brennan, Egan and if you are feeling adventurous a barrel set by MacGregor
reedman

Post by reedman »

cheer's Chris, thanks for the great info :o , not as easy as some piper's may think, :-? it took me two years to train as a wood turner and to aquire all gear & tooling needed for pipe making, every pipemaker has his own style & way of making his pipes,but the reamers seem to be the main secret of the pipemaker and can be exspected, and that comes with lots of experience, every pipemaker uses his talent in making there own individual sound & style of chanter,I know I have, :wink: but some pipemakers just copy other makers pipes & styles they found works for them, everyone to there own. :) all the best.
There's those who know,
johnpipe108

re: Garvin -- whose pipes were drawn?

Post by johnpipe108 »

I also have the Garvin book, 1978 edition. I made my half set (excepting the chanter, I had no ways or means to make my own) mostly from Garvin in 1983; my bass drone has somewhat different bores based on info from John Pedersen, who made my chanter.

I've recently built a baritone regulator body in Honduras mahogany based on Garvin, using Craig Fischer's square construction technique:

I too have been wondering about Garvin's various dimensions, and I will probably build another test piece in something like pine for the Bass regulator, before committing the only piece of mahogany available for it.

I'm also curious if anyone knows what pipes Garvin used for his dimensions?

regards, John
cronic sufferer from WGD, BGD and occasional bouts of FIMD :^)
------------------------------
He who sees all beings in the Self, and the Self in all beings, hates none
--Isha Upanishad
reedman

Post by reedman »

:) best of luck with the regs John.
There's those who know,