The gravity test

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The gravity test

Post by lixnaw »

I can't say i killed an accordion yet, so weight does matter for me,
but is a 2 voice box faster than a heavier 3 voice, ?

That's what i was trying to figure out, i actually fancy a Van der Aa.... :D
Ok, if you want anything added to the bass side like 12 basses,
it will slow down your playing.
Colombia is totally outside of my range so i can't try out a Van der Aa 3 voice.
Now Frans told me that a 3 voice adds extra weight to the right side,
and actually makes the accordion more balanced.
I did the test with a bag of beans, taped to the right side :lol:

The bag of beans actually made this Cairdin more balanced,
so a heavier 3 voice box is faster than a lighter 2 voice!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I'm still waiting for Captain Lindberg's reply...
Silvio Zapparoli

Post by Silvio Zapparoli »

It's a curious thingh Lixnaw.

I have a three voices similar an Kincora and I have an idea: if is true that add extra weight to the right side, I can try to add a little plumb bar inside the valve box (behind the grill).

What do you think?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Silvio Zapparoli wrote:It's a curious thingh Lixnaw.

I have a three voices similar an Kincora and I have an idea: if is true that add extra weight to the right side, I can try to add a little plumb bar inside the valve box (behind the grill).

What do you think?
To me it feels like it takes some pressure off my thumb, but try out the bean test first. I'd just make sure that bar don't touch the valves. I'm going for a 3 voice anyway, there'll be no extra weight needed there.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I'd say Captain (SteveJ) Lindberg ate all of his beans and he's on his way to the fairies by now...
Last edited by lixnaw on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12pins

Post by 12pins »

Here is my two cents on the thumb things.

If you are playing a heavier box there is a fair amount of pressure on the thumb. Also, it you are playing a light box, you've got keep it where it is, but since the whole instrument is lighter you are not putting any more pressure on you thumb then you would be with a heavier or 'weighted' box (probably a lot less in fact). I play a B/C Weltmeister -- sort of medium heavy and it puts enough pressure on my thumb that it can make it sore.

Heavier boxes are better for everyone. It takes a lot more strength to get sound out of a heavy box, more control. It keeps players from developing the nasty habit of relaxing their thumb from the push to the draw. A light box lets you get away with a lot -- so maybe weighting it would help, but it will not make your thumb less sore. Most of the good players (that I can think of) started out on heavy instruments -- they built their strength, dexterity, and speed on heavy boxes. Some boxes are too heavy, but some are also way too light - a lot of them these days. There has to be some sort of balance. I really like the weight on mine, even though it is not a top of the market accordion.

I also don't believe that 12 basses will slow you down unless you don't have the strength you need to handle it. John Williams plays with twelve, he is tiny guy, and plenty speedy. Besides, aren't 12 basses worth having if you want them?

You have to earn speed on the accordion. That is what makes it so great.
knockin' 'em down
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Sure a heavier box tends to move around less on your knee. But the more I play the less difference I think it makes. A knack seems to be developing of being able to play a light or a heavy box with just one strap - and without a sore thumb (which I suffered from a lot in the early stages).

Maybe I'm just transferring the aches to my back and shoulders :)

But a heavy box has one serious drawback, and that is lugging the thing around. My Bouebe felt almost weightless in a knapsack riding a bike. My current main squeeze weighs 4.4 kg and in a hard case it's not much fun to take on the bus.

I'd like a lighter box but I would have a hard time going back to 8 basses. Am dreaming and scheming of a compact 2-voice 21-button box (10/11 rather than 11/10) with 10 or 12 basses, no thirds to save weight on the l/h. If I can find anyone to make one for me at a reasonable price!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:

I'd like a lighter box but I would have a hard time going back to 8 basses. Am dreaming and scheming of a compact 2-voice 21-button box (10/11 rather than 11/10) with 10 or 12 basses, no thirds to save weight on the l/h. If I can find anyone to make one for me at a reasonable price!
Go Van der Aa Captain, you won't regret it. Weight isn't an issue on these boxes, they're just very well balanced and responsive.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

lixnaw wrote:Go Van der Aa Steve, you won't regret it. Weight isn't an issue on these boxes, they're just very well balanced and responsive.
I believe you. But as far as I can see he doesn't make 2-voice boxes. I'm _not_ looking for another 3-v box, y'see.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:
lixnaw wrote:Go Van der Aa Steve, you won't regret it. Weight isn't an issue on these boxes, they're just very well balanced and responsive.
I believe you. But as far as I can see he doesn't make 2-voice boxes. I'm _not_ looking for another 3-v box, y'see.
He sure does Steve, they're the same size as a 3 voice but lighter in weight. Send him an e-mail.
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Well if I'm going for a 2-v, I'd want the compact size as well as the lighter weight. I'll see what he says about that.
lixnaw

Re: The gravity test

Post by lixnaw »

lixnaw wrote:I can't say i killed an accordion yet, so weight does matter for me,
but is a 2 voice box faster than a heavier 3 voice, ?

That's what i was trying to figure out, i actually fancy a Van der Aa.... :D
Ok, if you want anything added to the bass side like 12 basses,
it will slow down your playing.
Colombia is totally outside of my range so i can't try out a Van der Aa 3 voice.
Now Frans told me that a 3 voice adds extra weight to the right side,
and actually makes the accordion more balanced.
I did the test with a bag of beans, taped to the right side :lol:

The bag of beans actually made this Cairdin more balanced,
so a heavier 3 voice box is faster than a lighter 2 voice!
No, i got it totally wrong, was away with the fairies myself :oops:
I did the bean bag test again today, and i felt like i'd be better off without the bag. I actually had the flue when i did the test... So if i've put anyone on the wrong foot there, i'm sorry. Would i serve sufficiant punishment for my mistake if i ate all them beans now ??
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

No. You have to eat the accordion.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:No. You have to eat the accordion.
I'll give you your breakfast in a minute Captain Lindberg!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I'm sticking to my first opinion. A 3 voice feels more balanced for me.
It all depends in the way you hold your accordion.