embouchure cuts

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I notice that players of the larger bamboo bansuri, such as low B, sometimes play with the headjoint resting against their cheek when they play. This position allows them to hold their arms in a more comfortable position in front of them. It also allows their head to be turned less to the left, allowing for less tension in the neck. I find myself wanting to use this technique, even with my low D flute.

However, to accommodate this blowing technique, it is better to have a round or oval embouchure hole, as the circular blowing edge is always perpendicular to the flow of air from the lips. With the rounded-rectangle embouchure design, you have a broad-flat side of the rectangle as the blowing edge. The sides of the embouchure hole, as on my silver flutes, sometimes have little or no undercutting. It seems to me that this design will work best when the flow of the air hits the blowing edge at a 90 degree angle. This makes for an easy embouchure to blow but doesn't allow for blowing at an angle, which is possible on a round or oval embouchure hole design.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Jon, show them a picture of the Czech headjoint that you just got in the mail.

Nelson
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

How about cuttng two or three or four embouchures onto one HJ and using tape (Or more permanent alternative) to cover those not in use?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Sillydill

ARHPA

Post by Sillydill »

Here is a picture of the embouchure hole on my ARHPA flute:

This particular flute was a prototype. I presume the embouchure insert was done to evaluate different embouchure types. It is actually a perfect circle and is not glued into place (I can move it slightly with finger pressure). It is of an improved ellipse shape (not ARHPA's modern squarish shape).

I've wondered if the relative smoothness and hardness of this material contributes to the tonal qualities of the flute. Nicholson preferred ivory lined embouchures on his flutes.

Producing embouchure holes as inserts, could also facilitate greater precision in undercutting/detailing of the embouchure. Because you would have access to the inside of the embouchure, same would apply for the toneholes.

Perhaps I think about embouchure holes more than most, but I don't think it is a Freudian thing! :P

All the Best!

Jordan
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: ARHPA

Post by tin tin »

Interesting idea, the insertable embouchure. Makers, is it feasible/desirable?
Sillydill wrote:Perhaps I think about embouchure holes more than most, but I don't think it is a Freudian thing! :P
I think sometimes people don't think about the embouchure enough! It's arguably the most important part of the flute.
Here's the website of someone who thinks about embouchures more than most: http://www.drelinger.com/
Cork

Post by Cork »

This may sound simplistic, but, for any given flute there seems to be an upper limit as to how big an embouchure hole can effectively be, and, when that upper limit is realised, it seems to all come down to a matter of embouchure and airstream technique on the part of the player. That is, within such a size limit, a larger hole simply can transmit more power to a flute, yet, can also be tamed to pppp, very soft, and in tune, provided the player knows how to play the airstream. Or, and within such a limit, the bigger, the better!!

But, then, what the heck, that's only my opinion.

:-D
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

toughknot wrote:I have a grey 2 piece Tipple with a rectangular embouchure (did it myself ). I also cutaway in front of and behind the embouchure. After a period of adjustment I now like it very much. Can still be played fairly softly but it can now also be played quite loudly. I rotate the head in and cover part of the hole with the lip. Big sound, I like it. Easier to play.
There was nothing wrong with the flute to start with,I just had a strong urge to tinker and a work bench full of sharp carving tools in reach.
I call it my Tipple Pratten.
Ressurrected because there is another similar current thread and I also wanted to mention that my modification made the tuning all wonky in the second octave as Doug said it does on another thread, and also because I am tired from staying up way too late.

run on sentence... run....
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
Doyle vs. Jon C. R&R:

For orientation, the Jon C. is the one above, the Doyle is the one below.

Cheers, Moritz