Building a case/modifying a case

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Big Mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Big Mick »

I want to either build a decent case, or modify a case, or purchase a case. I am looking for recommendations on any or all of these options. In particular, I would like to know how folks store their pipes? Completely dismantled with a cutout for each element? How about storage compartments? What should the dimensions be? How would one make it atmosphere proof if they should have to check it through baggage in these uncertain times? Should there be a compartment for reedmaking tools?

Any and all discussion on this will be received most gratefully.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Mick,
You've got so many options here. Some folks have obtained various cases from yard sales, music stores, sporting goods stores, military surplus stores, etc.
I've seen/heard prices from $3 to $300. What is your realistic budget and how fancy do you want to get?
Most pipe cases are just a foam lined box. If you want to create compartments to seperate bellows, tools, media (CD's or tapes) you would reduce your chances of damage should the case get tossed around in transit.
I purchased a new tenor saxophone case last week for my half set. There is plenty of room for 2-3 chanters and a change of clothes. The contour sax mold made from stryofoam was removed using a putty knife and some muscle leaving an interior of black fuzzy material.

Here are some links that have cases suitable for Uilleann pipes, many need no modifications.
http://www.celtworks.com/pg_Pipe-Cases.html
http://www.aberdeenbagpipe.com/store/20210.html
http://www.aberdeenbagpipe.com/store/20220.html
http://www.beaconww.com/pages/detail.la ... =&-nothing
http://www.atlascases.com/guncases.html

Smaller is better if you plan to fly with your pipes. Removing your bass drone may be the only unpacking needed for a small case. They used to make exceptions to musicians carrying on odd size/shape cases... DON'T ATTEMPT TO TAKE TOOL BOXES onboard. If you are going to a tionol, you will easily find someone with the tools you need.
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

Thanks, Tony. The links were very helpful. I chuckled at the irony of using a gun case, although there are those that would say the pipes are a much more dangerous weapon than any firearm.............LOL. I really want to build one that has an O ring seal, or something like that, so it is safe(r) in airplane holds. I travel a fair bit and would want that. I guess I have some research to do. You have given me a VERY good start on this. Thanks for the reply.

Any others with tips, suggestions, etc?
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

Mick,
Watch them load the freight on the plane and then think again about letting your pipes in there. I travel a lot around Europe for gigs and the pipes never leave me, even arguments at control ensue, but THEY DO NOT LEAVE ME! I use a case that used to house a set of small pipes made of some sort of laminate/card stuff, it's not as safe as regular cases, but I never drop them off cliffs/run over them/let strangers handle them. 62cm long 21cm deep and 21cm wide, fit perfectly in overhead luggage compartment. Its a squeeze but there's an assortment of low and high whistles in there too, with room for a wee bottle;
Alan
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Never let your pipes go in the hold. I know it's easier said than done, but considering how often things get lost as well as stolen it is a fair attitude to take.

Throw a fit, tell them they need to provide you with something in writing guaranteeing the complete value of the instrument as well as its arrival in your place of destination. Scream, cry, beg, plead. If your set is lost or stolen, you know how long it would take to replace it with a similar set.

As for carrying cases, I can reccomend the Pelican Travel Vault II for a near indestructable case. It's beautifully made, atmospherically sealed (o-ring and pressure release valve), and *strong*. Unfortunately it is not as small as some of the other cases made specifically for bagpipes/instruments of the same size.

Dionys
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Is that the Big Mick whose measured contributions regularly strive to break up dogfights in the Mudcat café, or someone altogether different?

There's a firm called Consort Cases http://www.consortcases.ie/ based in the South-East of Ireland which makes various kinds of cases, including a gun case which has been adopted by several uilleann pipe makers.

Dimensions: 88cm x 29cm x 12.5cm approx.
Black ABS Plastic case, with 3 locking locks, 3 hinges and a carrying handle. Case has flat piece of foam in the base and egg-box in the lid.

Depending on where you live, you might be interested in contacting them (there's a contact address on the website).

The case appears smaller than the dimensions would suggest (it's slightly tapered), and I've seen people carrying it onto an aircraft. It's also sturdy enough in case you are forced against your will to check it in, or to surrender it for consignment to the hold when you are boarding (which is probably the best compromise if the airline really won't let you take it as cabin baggage, as they're used to doing this with children's buggies, wheelchairs etc.).

I designed and built a plywood case of my own, of which I'm inordinately proud as it was my first venture into woodwork. It's big enough to take an A4 page (ergo, also a book like O'Neill's 1001) and has room for tools, whistles, mini-disc recorder etc. In choosing a case, you should allow for all these, as well as creeping WhOA fallout including the odd low whistle or two. My plywood case certainly wouldn't be safe to check in for air travel, but my cunning solution, when I travelled to Ireland recently and a gunsmith here let me down by failing to supply a gun case in time, was to buy a length of PVC drainpipe which I cut to the appropriate length and fitted with screw-on bungs to carry the body of the pipes including chanter. I carried the bellows separately. But I wouldn't really recommend this as a general solution.

Since the plywood case is adequate for normal use, I'm still on the lookout for a smaller gun case than the Consort for occasional use in air travel, in order to increase the chances of being allowed to take it as cabin luggage. There is an international rule about the maximum dimensions of cabin luggage based on adding the length, width and height, but I don't know where it's laid down.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Roger, good post. Food for thought... as long as it's for airline travel, wouldn't you then be better off (financially and less problems with oversized or odd shaped cases) buying a standard carry-on overnight flight case complete with wheels and retracting handle?
The pipes would have to be broken down to fit but the clothing would act as packing.
Obviously not the perfect pipe case for gigs but less trouble with the airlines.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Thanks for the suggestion, Tony, but I prefer not to have to break down the pipes further than removing the reed cap and reed from the bass regulator and the slide from the bass drone. Taking drones and regs out of the stock when not necessary for reed adjustment purposes doesn't appeal to me, particularly when it's a question of travelling between places where climatic conditions may be different, as there is an increased risk of contraction/expansion of wood components causing problems of misfitting. Also, once you're at your destination, you don't want to have to spend a long time reassembling/dismantling the pipes every time you play (not to mention the risks attached to doing all this in a pub after closing time... ;o)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger O'Keeffe on 2002-07-09 04:25 ]</font>
Big Mick

Post by Big Mick »

Hi Roger! Yep, it's the same Big Mick. And I am really enjoying this forum. More nuts and bolts stuff than I have seen before. I have been getting Dale's mailings almost since the beginning, but never visited this board. Glad I did.

Thanks for all the good info. Sounds like I should just invest in a good travel case for the aul noisemakers. And maybe build one for other times.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Welcome aboard, Mick, if I may presume to say that as a recent arrival myself.

Brendan Ring's album title says it all: Troublesome Things.