Tom White

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tom White

Post by Ballygo »

I was very sad to hear of the death of Wexford pipemaker Tom White. He was one of the people who supplied pipes in the late 60´s 1970´s at a time when the art was in deep decline , and so gave many many young pipers the chance to play. A real gentleman and an important figure to pipers from wexford Waterford and beyond . RIP.

Ballygo
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sorry to hear that, Tom was indeed a gentleman.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Tom White RIP. Wexford has suffered a loss.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Thats very sad news indeed . Milltown Co Kerry piper Tom O Sullivan has one of his sets,I heard it being played just last night and its a very nice sounding set
I have the greatest respect for the pipemakers who keep the art alive at a time when they were not as popular as they are now!

Would you have anymore details regarding Tom Whites passing ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I first met Tom during the early 80s, usually travelling up from Wexford with Seamus MacMathuna, the Wexford reedmaker (who is another Wexford man deserving of recognition for all the pro bono work he has done helping out pipers). They (and Chris Langan all in addition to the usual staff) were always at hand helping people out at the Willie Clancy reedmaking workshop. Later the two looked after reed problems at the Templemore Tionol.

He made pipes when few did an he did it to provide people who wouldn't be able to get them otherwise with a working instrument. And he did it for the love of it and not for money. At the time he was playing a flute he himself made out of bogwood. Geoff Wooff and myself visited him at the garage once and had a look around the workshop.
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

Yes Peter , Tom and Sheamus were a regular double act at miltown in the early years. I am a good friend of Sheamus , and owe him a depth of Gratitude for his help and knowledge throughout the years.I still play and Tom White set of drones. Sheamus exposed me to all the great pipers and introduced me to Ennis( in person) one time , something I will always treasure. These guy´s, Tom and Sheamus gave their knowledge willingly and most times without payment , because they love this instrument so much . The craic and the storytelling was far more important than money and they felt they were helping to pass on something important. At a time when there were no resources or facilities available, they kept us going and that was utmost in their taking part. You can not measure the importance of what they passed on , all that one had to do was listen to a few yarns . How times have changed. They were there for us before online lessons , c.d. tutors , in fact Dublin seemed like another planet then , so to have access to their help was the reason why so many had the chance to pick up this beautiful instrument. Tom White and Sheamus Mac Mathuna the unsung heros of piping Thank you.

Ballygo
alurker

Post by alurker »

Sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I had not heard so thanks for sharing the news. Tom was a gentleman and a big source of encouragement to musicians, particularly in the Wexford region, at a time when there was not much encouragement to be had for those starting to play ITM. I spent some time in his workshop in myself Peter. He certainly was in it for the love of what he did rather than any renumeration he received. I was always happy and surprised to find Tom showing up at the Willie week and other festivals on the West coast, even during the late 90's when he was well into his 70's. Miltown Malbay is a hell of a trek from Clongeen!

I know that his health had been failing for some time and that he had been in a nursing home for a couple of years. Pipers may be encouraged to know that the reed-making tradition will live on in the family through his grand-nephew Ned Wall who was featured in last November's Sean Potts Geantrai programme: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=47002

Thanks again for sharing this sad news.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Sad news indeed.

I have very fond memories of Tom, and indeed Seamus Mac making reed galore at the reed making workshop in Miltown in the late '80's when I was there.

It's the likes of Tom that should be given great, great credit for supplying pipers with reasonably priced instruments at a time in Ireland when most couldn't afford much.
A year or so ago I spoke with Martin Preshaw, he said that he had just reeded a few Tom White chanters and while they didn't look very fancy, they very perfectly in tune.

Sad to see him go.

Tommy
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

A gentleman, unassuming, helpful and dedicated.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar