Freeman Tweaked MellowDog

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Freeman Tweaked MellowDog

Post by jonharl »

After all is said and done in regards to WHOA I feel that one whistle is all I need. I've sold my Sindts and Humphreys, and canceled my orders I think for the money there is none better whistle than these. But for purposes of playing as a amatuer I can't see any reason to have any other whistle than a Freeman Tweaked MellowDog. In fact my WHOA extends to two D's and a C, One D and the C at my computer station and one D at my drawing table. Now I've just got to fit the money in to buy the extra D and C. These whistles really play well. I know there's much debate over wether one needs to spend a lot of money on expensive whistles. That all the great players played Gens and did just fine. I also realize our own Peter Laban can really make a Gen sing. But for my big hands the larger tube diameter of the MellowDog suits me to a "T". To my ear they sound pure and sweet just like I like them. But the real point is to play what you like and progress at playing the whistle. SO wether it be one whistle or a whole bag just play.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

yessirreebob
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I agree. The Mellow Dog could easily be the only whistle a player might ever ever need. It is a fantastic whistle at a low price IMHO.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I have to add my agreement. I've really enjoyed my MellowDog.

By the way, Jerry - How's about that list of all the keys of all the whistles you are currently tweaking and their prices that you said you'd put together? The Undisputedtm will probably not allow you to post it here, but a PM would be nice . . .
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

shadeclan wrote:I have to add my agreement. I've really enjoyed my MellowDog.

By the way, Jerry - How's about that list of all the keys of all the whistles you are currently tweaking and their prices that you said you'd put together? The Undisputedtm will probably not allow you to post it here, but a PM would be nice . . .
I haven't forgotten. I'm in the midst of completing batches of a few different whistles. As soon as they're ready, I'll post an announcement.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I seem to remember something about a new whistle (not a tweak) from Mr. Freeman. Rumor?

Whatever it may be, I hope it plays a lot like a MellowDog.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Chiffed wrote:I seem to remember something about a new whistle (not a tweak) from Mr. Freeman. Rumor?

Whatever it may be, I hope it plays a lot like a MellowDog.
No, it's not a rumor. It will be a couple of months, or maybe more, depending on how technical aspects fall into place. The whistle will be modelled on the tweaked Mellow Dog, so it should be very similar, if not identical. In the meantime, I'll continue to provide tweaked Mellow Dogs as always.

Best wishes,
Jerry
anam cara

Post by anam cara »

Must say that I love my mellow dog!! It's the only whistle that I've played since I got it (which was about three/four weeks ago). Nice work Jerry!! :D
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Jumping on the old band wagon. Mine is with me at all times.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I have a couple of questions about the Mellow Dog, and this seems an appropriate thread for them.

Is it OK to clean it with soapy water? I haven't had a tweaked whistle before. Will warm soapy water or isopropyl alcohol have any negative effects on the cavity-filler or re-built ramp and its glue?

Does the plastic head hold up OK over time switching between the D-body and a C-body?

Thanks,
Jason
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

It's OK to use soapy water.

Don't use alcohol inside the mouthpiece. Alcohol won't hurt the soundblade laminations, which are done with epoxy. However, the fill under the windway is done with a claylike material that is soft when new and then becomes leathery over time. The material filling under the windway can be softened/dissolved by alcohol. Also, you don't want to poke anything into the filling under the windway, as it can dent.

The whistlehead will hold up over time switching back and forth between D and C tubes. I round over the square edge on the Mellow D tubes I use on my tweaked Mellow Dogs so they won't score the inside of the whistlehead socket. The C tubes are already machined at the factory so they won't score inside the mouthpiece.

Best wishes,
Jerry
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

The Mellow Dog is the one whistle I will never...ever....sell. They may have to bury me with that thing someday. No way they'll pry it loose from my hands.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Would someone mind posting a clip of a nicely played mellow dog? Although I've heard tons about them I've never actually heard one played.
Much thanks.
Last edited by gallant_murray on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

gallant_murray wrote:Would someone mind posting a clip of a nicely played mellow dog? Although I've heard tons about them I've never actually heard one played.
Much thanks.
Find several here, posted by Wanderer, plus a good review.
http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... =mellowdog
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
carrie

Post by carrie »

This is one of the sampleson Jerry's eBay listings.

Carol