Feeding My Fancy :)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Feeding My Fancy :)

Post by dfernandez77 »

Did you miss me? Maybe not. Ok - likely not.

I was doing something selfish... Image

So what did I do? I fed my fancy - my selfish interest (how sad - and how nice). That means I bought something I've always wanted. I have a rather huge tax refund this year from both the Federal Government and State of California...

I've been ordering, receiving, and incorporating goodies into my cyber-cauldron. I now have a completely loaded Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). Well actually I just added what I needed to my already pretty awesome workstation - what I needed to record music with really good quality, and mix it down to what I want it to be.

My interests - well, other than my loves, like my son, family, and friends - are my silly fish, Chinese language and philosophy, and music. I LOVE good music. I have a brother who plays rock music and sings, I have another brother who sings, and I sing (when I'm not too shy) and I play the Irish Whistle - and I am a tech geek who can figure out how to record and produce music - I think. He-he.

So I will show you what I have been working on for a few days.

Ok, it's only about 80% done. I still am waiting for the sub-woofer that goes with the studio monitors and the full version of Sonar Studio Edition (the Digital Audio Workstation software). Then I have to learn the stuff. lots of stuff to study.

Heck! Maybe I'll even be able to share a simple recording sometime soon. In a week, month, maybe 90 days or so. Image

Wish me luck... kisses...

Don't blame me for my freakish posting - blame good freakin' wine. Andretti Family Winery Zinfandel Primativo Blend. Who'd guess a race car driver would be the genesis of a kick-b*tt Zin blend.

Love y'all!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow...that does look fun, if you know what the heck to do with it. Yes. We'll be expecting some samples. If you can send a bit of the Andretti along as well, we'll all be much obliged.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice, give it to me at once.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

We always miss people once we know they've been gone :lol: .

Your set-up is really nice. I've never seen those double screens before. One thing is disturbing me---I feel like that wiine glass could be very easily tipped over and then it would run into the keyboard. I'll be looking forward to the sounds of the dfernandez trio once you get all that studying done.

Did you decide to set up another pond for your fish? Did you find a way to protect it? Or perhaps you have other fish indoors that you are referring to.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Ooooooh! Now my fancy is starting to get hungry too! Looking forward to the first release! ....Gotta go run a rough 1040 calc....
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cynth wrote:About 6000+ good coments.
Dang 6005.

dfernandez77, I love tose cartoon animations. You use them in many of your comments and are always fun.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

Oh no! Did we miss 6000 for Cynth? Our bad!!! :shock: I guess we were all busy drooling over Daniel's new kit. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

What does having 2 monitors do? You have to understand that I'm brain dead when it comes to this kind of thing ;)

You know, Daniel, it's very rude to come to the Pub with a glass of wine with none to share. I'm expecting you to bring a case next time, ok? ;)

And THIS is just the cutest thing I've ever seen!!! Image I want one!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

emmline wrote:We'll be expecting some samples. If you can send a bit of the Andretti along as well, we'll all be much obliged.
Well, considering I don't have a lot of experience with a full digital audio workstation (DAW), I have a lot of study to do before I get many music samples done. But if y'all come on over and we can all be sampling wine within minutes.
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Nice, give it to me at once.
You are welcome to come over and borrow it any time. :)
Cynth wrote:Did you decide to set up another pond for your fish? Did you find a way to protect it? Or perhaps you have other fish indoors that you are referring to.
Ooh! 6,000+? Amazing.

I replaced the raccoon chow goldfish with minnows in the half barrel pond. The minnows are too small for the raccoons to bother with.

Indoors I have a Red Dragon, Half Moon, Butterfly betta.
izzarina wrote:What does having 2 monitors do? You have to understand that I'm brain dead when it comes to this kind of thing ;)
Dual monitors are for real estate baby! The DAW program takes a lot of screen space. And there's the little interfaces for plug-ins and effects and stuff. It's easier to deal with on two monitors than to have them stacked atop one another.
Daniel

cowtime

Post by cowtime »

WooooHoooooo!!!!! That's some set up. I'll be looking forward to hearing some tunes soon. Good to see someone else enjoys their wine at the computer- Now I'd have no idea what to do with all that electronic gear, but I sure could take care of that glass for you. :P
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

*Droooool*

What are you using to drive the monitors? Is there an audio card you can use or do you need another amplifier?
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

beowulf573 wrote:What are you using to drive the monitors? Is there an audio card you can use or do you need another amplifier?
The studio monitors are active Yamaha HS Series powered monitors http://tinyurl.com/yp4kux. They take XLR or TRS low level input. The audio interface (konnekt 8 ) has low level output.

Right now I'm trying to eliminate tiny dropouts in the signal that occur randomly. Little bits of silence that always come in pairs about a half second long and one second apart.

Interface to the konnekt 8 is firewire, on a dedicated card. Anyone have experience with issues like this?
Daniel

djm

Post by djm »

Watch out for electromagnetic interference from power cables. Never let an electrical cable come anywhere near your sound/signal cables.

Also, get a universal power supply (UPS) for all your sound equipment, just like you would do for your PC. Good audio wants very clean power.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

djm wrote:Watch out for electromagnetic interference from power cables. Never let an electrical cable come anywhere near your sound/signal cables.

djm
All analog signal cables are well shielded and balanced XLR and I keep them separate from power as much as is practical.

I noticed when the signal drops out, the auto detect indicator for the digital channel in the konnekt's control panel drops out. I think maybe there's a latency or priority issue with the ASIO or WDM drivers. Or maybe there's an issue in the Firewire bus. But everything looks cool from the system side.

I'm still messing with it, and waiting for support from t.c.electronics.
Daniel