the wonderful world of non-uilleann piping...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or No, non-uilleann piping forum

Yes.
57%
No.
30%
Does this kilt make me look fat?
14%

Total votes: 44

Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

the wonderful world of non-uilleann piping...

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I think (and seems y'all do too) it's time to add a new forum dedicated toward pipes other than Uilleann.

I submit this poll to sound y'all out and determine if this is indeed what y'all would like.

Have at it you whacky, whacky pipers!
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I think it's obvious that there are a great many people who visit C&F that play a variety of bagpipes. I firmly support a separate forum devoted to non-uilleann pipes. I feel that it would further uphold the diversity and spirit of these forums and allow one-stop shopping for our enthusiastic trad playing members!
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Are there not a basquillion bagpipe forums out there doing a fine job already?

Pat.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Back when I first asked Dale if he would consider adding a forum for the uilleann pipes, it was precisely because they are such close kin to the tin whistle. No other bagpipe *that I know of* does so. I think keeping the forums related to Irish music, Irish tin whistle and Irish piping is wise. As Pat states, there are plenty of other boards out there for the "other" types. And Lord knows that C&F has ballooned into a grotesque monster of it's once former self! :boggle: :lol: One more forum to add to it? No thanks.
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

I recently managed to offend some of you, being under the influence of beer at the time, never a wise time to write. So now I pull in my tail, and just mention in passing that while there are gazillions of forums for other pipes out there, 99.99% of them are devoted to the Highland pipes. And the rest mostly to the smallpipes, bot Scottish and Northumbrian. If there are other forums for other pipes, they tend to be in other languages.
Playing other pipes myself, I certainly would welcome a forum for all the others.
Joseph E. Smith

I am not certain if I agree with Brian in the train of thought that by adding another forum for other pipes would detract from ITM. It is being played on a variety of instruments, some of which are not usually associated with it.

Personally, I am in favor of the addition if, for no other reason, it can keep the Uilleann Pipe Forum strictly for Uilleann Pipes. Also, many of us "U-Pipers" do play other forms of bagpipes and rather than telling us to "hit the road and find other message boards", our need for communication with like multi-instrumentalists can be served here. I feel this would strengthen the C&F community and invite the knowledge and experince of new members to our countless pages of surliness. :D
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

"Does this kilt make me look fat?"

No kilts for me ! That's for scottish people.
Joseph E. Smith

I am going to keep this poll up through next week and after that time, Dale and I will decide the future (if any) of a seperate piping forum.

Please vote, and vote often... heh.... :lol:
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

patrick Jacob wrote:"Does this kilt make me look fat?"

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Irish once wore kilts. They wore them in Braveheart *shrugs*
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Flogging Jason wrote:
patrick Jacob wrote:"Does this kilt make me look fat?"

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Irish once wore kilts. They wore them in Braveheart *shrugs*
Sorry, and for the Irish
Joseph E. Smith

Yes, the kilt isn't a Scot thang solely. Traditionally (long ago in olden times when Titans still roamed the Earth ), the Irish wore them too. In fact, many cultures wore kilts or related garb... like the Roman military, for example.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am not certain if I agree with Brian in the train of thought that by adding another forum for other pipes would detract from ITM. It is being played on a variety of instruments, some of which are not usually associated with it.

Personally, I am in favor of the addition if, for no other reason, it can keep the Uilleann Pipe Forum strictly for Uilleann Pipes. Also, many of us "U-Pipers" do play other forms of bagpipes and rather than telling us to "hit the road and find other message boards", our need for communication with like multi-instrumentalists can be served here. I feel this would strengthen the C&F community and invite the knowledge and experince of new members to our countless pages of surliness. :D
Fair enough Joe - but you asked. :P
My vote is still no.
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:
Fair enough Joe - but you asked. :P
My vote is still no.
Okie Dokie.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'm with Joseph on this one. A non-Uilleann piping forum would serve to maintain the focus of the Uilleann piping forum. I suppose I'd pop in and have a look now and then. Probably wouldn't contibute a lot of posts there, however.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Joseph E. Smith

Bill Reeder wrote: A non-Uilleann piping forum would serve to maintain the focus of the Uilleann piping forum.
Plus, again, there are many here who play other pipes and rather than boot 'em off the Uilleann page, there'd be a place for them to go to close by... keeping it all on the one block as it were.

I really do not see how another forum could possibly be any more disruptive to ITM or Uilleann Piping than the frickin' Political/Controversial/Chest-beating forum... aka Rubber Room. For fecksake, how does that bull sh*t fit into ITM or a Tin Whistle message board?