Hudson Wind - Observations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Hudson Wind - Observations

Post by dfernandez77 »

Introduction:
I'm not sure why, but this whistle - since becoming a blip on the whistle radar screen - had more reviews, and was the genesis of more discussions, fomentation of discourse, and general chiff & fipplery than any I've seen in such a short period of time. So, I'm doing something a little different from my usual verbose reviews.

Now I am a hobbyist, and whistle obsessive and player. That means I really enjoy good whistles and playing good whistles. Yet, due to other priorities, I lack sufficient time in practice to learn to play better than good enough to fascinate young children and my mother, and amuse discerning adults. I also have this fantasy that some day I will learn to play really well - humph. If I was to listen to my own playing I think I would say "Not bad! Not good. Sounds like he's having a good time - good for him."

There is one thing I do pretty darn well (much better than my whistle playing) - namely, take photographs. I've also dabbled in live audio engineering and recording over the years. This because I am gadget friendly and have musicians in my family. So I will introduce the Hudson Wind to you using skills other than my whistle playing.

1. First with seven photographs so you can see how very lovely it is (I like lovely things).

2. Next with a couple sound samples. Admittedly. I play the whistle in the sound samples, but just so you can hear what it sounds like (certainly not to marvel at my proficiency). Click here to see it played well. The below sound samples are captured by a high quality, digital, large diaphragm, studio condenser microphone - no processing - slightly noisy room - straight to disk - then converted to MP3s.

I follow with a bit of a summary of my experience with the whistle and how it rates in my mind against my other favorites.

First the photos:

Now the Sound Clips:
This is a comparison clip of a Nickel Silver Copeland, the Hudson Wind, and a Burke DBSB. First a run through the two octaves and a scale starting at G with the C nat, then a bit of an Aire through a couple notes past a C nat - both on all three whistles in turn:
http://www.beancurdturtle.com/ImageGall ... _Burke.mp3

To satisfy my curiosity and deep admiration for Reyburn whistles I had to do one more thing. This is the same thing as I did above, with a bit of a tune tossed in the middle, played on a Reyburn High D from a D/C set.
http://www.beancurdturtle.com/ImageGall ... eyburn.mp3

Summary:
I've played the Hudson Wind nearly exclusively since I received it a couple weeks ago - both to give it a fair shot, and so I could make comments on it.
Visual Aesthetics: Beautiful Whistle, you can see for yourself.
Mechanics: Very well made with great attention to detail. The slide is friction fit and works perfect. Very sound construction.
Playability: Well balanced, ornaments can be comfortably played, slides work well. I'll keep it and play it often.
Tuning: Listen to the clips. I used little or no effort to play them into tune (better than the Copeland, about the same as the Burke).
Voice: Listen to the clips. Pure, focused, and breathless, with the nice open sound of a conical bore.

I like it. I like it very much!

Compared to a Copeland; the Copeland has a Pop and presence when you really play it that the Hudson Wind doesn't have. And the Copeland is more expensive.

Compared to a Burke; I like it better than a Burke for flexibility, playability, conical bore voice, and all around feel. That's really subjective I know - a Burke is a no nonsense workhorse, the Hudson Wind has a bit of character that I like. But the Burke is a bit less expensive.

Compared to a Reyburn; The Reyburn has more presence, it's tuning is better (in tune, in balance C nat), it behaves a little better in ornamentations. And the Reyburn is less expensive for a single whistle in D, and still less expensive for a D/C set.

If you were to ask me to choose one: Reyburn C/D Set US$140, Burke DBSBT US$150, Hudson Wind US$165, Copeland Nickel US$312 - I would say the Reyburn C/D Set is the best choice by far. I would choose the Hudson Wind over a Burke. And the Copeland, like an Overton, is in a different class - that's for a different discussion thread.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Thanks Daniel, I enjoyed reading your observations and taking a look at the pictures. I appreciate the time put into it. Great outlook on music. That's what it's about, enjoying it!

-Casey :)
Life is good.
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Thanks for the thoughts/review!

I love the look of the Hudsons – the tuning dot is just plain cool. I'm not really a fan of conical whistles (I keep picking up my Freeman Shaw in the hopes that my mind will change, but nothing yet!)

Are you able to compare the Reyburn D/C to a SYN or O'Brien D/C? PM me instead – I don't want to be responsible for taking this thread on a tangent!

B.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

bdh wrote:Are you able to compare the Reyburn D/C to a SYN or O'Brien D/C?
I'll answer here. It's fair to include other whistles I've played since there are already four whistles represented in the "observation." People can comment on any whistle any way they choose. I've seen very few threads that say focused beyond the first page here in any case. :)

Well, both the SYN and O'Brien are in a different class than Reyburn whistles. Different price range too, and the O'Brien is very fairly priced in my opinion. So I'll tell you what I can about the ones I've tried.

The only SYN I ever played is the Black Diamond. I was not impressed, though I know many other people are. I'd choose a Freeman Tweaked Generation, and definitely an O'Brien narrow bore brass, over a Black Diamond. I have never played an aluminum body SYN. As I said, many people love their SYNs and the Black Diamond, and I'm not the ultimate authority.

The only O'Brien D I still have is a classic, open windway, nickel plated copper whistle. The classic O'Briens have an open "whiskey tenor" voice all their own, and a good price. Here's an old review: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=30046

I played an O'Brien narrow bore brass and I like it very much. If I had to choose with about US$70 to spend, this would be the whistle I would choose. David does good work at the right price, and the O'Brien narrow bore brass may be the best example of this fact. Here's an old review: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=42011

If you were asking about the Cillian O'Briain Tweaked Feadog - I haven't played one.

Cheers,
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

bdh wrote:I'm not really a fan of conical whistles (I keep picking up my Freeman Shaw in the hopes that my mind will change, but nothing yet!)
Oh! Another thought.

I've a Freeman Tweaked Shaw also. It was my second whistle. Nothing sounds or breathes quite like a Shaw.

In character - both playability and voice - the Hudson Wind is closer to a Sweetone or Copeland than a Shaw.
Daniel

Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

bdh wrote: "I'm not really a fan of conical whistles (I keep picking up my Freeman Shaw in the hopes that my mind will change, but nothing yet!)"

This ain't no Shaw, and I mean that in a way that favors, to put it mildly, the Hudson Wind Whistle. I've got at least one JF Tweaked Shaw that is as good as a Shaw tends to get and, I repeat, the Hudson Winds Conical D is no Shaw.

Tom D.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I repeat, the Hudson Winds Conical D is no Shaw.
ImageImage

You'd hope not, that's for sure. It's a nice looking whistle and the nicest sounding out of the three in the clip as far as I can tell. This didn't extinguish the curiosity anyway.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Thanks for the great thread! (By the way, I heard NOTHING wrong with your playing). I have a Burke brass session in D, but I was lusting after the conical Hudson--it's beautiful...and CONICAL!
But after hearing the three clips, I liked the Burke best! It sounded softer to me.
You saved me from some WHOA!!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

riverman wrote:I liked the Burke best! It sounded softer to me.
Actually, I'm not one to fancy softness in a whistle's voice. That's actually one of the reasons I'm not a big Burke fan. And why I would choose a Hudson Wind over a Burke.

Now a Hudson Blizzard would be cool. Maybe tighten up the windway like an Overton - get a little growl in the voice and pump up the volume. But I know nothing of whistlesmithing - so I'm just rambling now. hehe!

Back to my cave,
Daniel

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

reporting in from Jamaica mon,
I've been enjoying my loaner Hudson on the cruise, and will report in when I get home. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

brewerpaul wrote:reporting in from Jamaica mon,
Rub it in why don't you?
Daniel

Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I just received a Hudson Wind high D yesterday. I like it quite a bit too. It reminds me a little of a Copeland (not as heavy a gauge of tubing, but similar in looks and finish). It's a very nicely finished whistle...no rough edges and everything is precise and symmetrical.

The tone is good and the volume is about that of a cheap whistle...maybe a touch louder. The 2nd octave is very nice and easy to hit. The low D note is good...could be a bit stronger, but overall a nice balance between the octaves.

Mine does clog quite easily, but I'm hoping this will diminish as it gets played in (that was the case with many whistles I've owned...I think they build up a patina or residue and this limits the clogging).

It's kind of in between a Copeland and a Laughing Whistle...

-Brett
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Daniel...
Brilliant presentation!
My "accountant" (she's around here, somewhere) is happy to know that this fellow doesn't make Low Whistles. Yet.
Right?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?