Use of the word "P0RN" for display of pics of inst

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Use of the word "P0RN" for display of pics of inst

Post by Dale »

Could we avoid using the word "p 0 rn" for displays of pictures of nice instruments? It gets us filtered by a lot of locations.

To help with this, I've automated the board to substitute the word "lichen" for "p o r n." Seems like a decent idea.

Test: lichen
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

lichen?

heh.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

It was a useful way to use the search function due to the fact that so few people on this forum use the word “P()R n” . Interesting that you have to use a word like lichen to even come close to the obscurity of “P()R n” on this forum.

Good luck.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I.D.10-t wrote:It was a useful way to use the search function due to the fact that so few people on this forum use the word “P()R n” . Interesting that you have to use a word like lichen to even come close to the obscurity of “P()R n” on this forum.

Good luck.
I'm sorry. What?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dale wrote: I'm sorry. What?
I thought that one of the reasons that the word was used was because using the search function to search for the "flute P()r n" thread was so much easier than searching for the words "flute" and "pictures". I assumed that you had chosen the word lichen due to it's lack of use in the forum.

Search for “flute pictueres”, you get 10 pages, many asking for a flutes picture to be posted.
“Flute P()r n” The top thread is usually the “Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)”
“Flute Lichen” 2 threads

Or perhaps I have no clue what is going on.

Edit: I think I understand now, I just saw the "A word about lichen" post. Showing that I was totally clueless about what you were talking about.

Edit2:On second thought, just forget I posted.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

lichen lichen

edit: heh, cool, it works
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'm lichen this idea.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I guess my biggest problem is that I have never seen 'lichen' used in any posts regarding whistles, so it was all a bit confusing to me.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

There seems to be some question about why, of the entire range of possibilities, I would have selected the word "lichen." This is your opportunity to explain my behavior to me because, frankly, I don't have a clue.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Dale wrote:There seems to be some question about why, of the entire range of possibilities, I would have selected the word "lichen." This is your opportunity to explain my behavior to me because, frankly, I don't have a clue.
Perhaps because we're likening our instrument pictures to pr0n?

Or perhaps because it's sort of a funny word?

:party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Dale wrote:There seems to be some question about why, of the entire range of possibilities, I would have selected the word "lichen." This is your opportunity to explain my behavior to me because, frankly, I don't have a clue.
Never ask why when you mind works in wonderful ways.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suburban Symphony
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

FJohnSharp wrote:I guess my biggest problem is that I have never seen 'lichen' used in any posts regarding whistles, so it was all a bit confusing to me.
Yes :lol: . For some of us,
the Dadameter is the only refuge.

I think it isn't just the choice of the word "lichen" to replace "lichen" that is so funny, but also the fact that the word "lichen" apparently had a special meaning here that some of us were totally unaware of.

Those of us who are somewhat out of it first had to deal with Dale telling us that we should not use the word "lichen" for displaying pictures of nice instruments. Okay, that was weird right there and a little scary because it seemed like Dale might have gone crazy.

Then as people started responding, we grasped that apparently people were using the word "lichen" for these photos, even though we had never noticed it. And so, although relieved to find that Dale wasn't going crazy, we then started thinking we were going crazy for not having noticed this.

Then, there was the necessity of figuring out that the problem wasn't that lichen-seekers were coming here but that the forums weren't showing up on searches done with computers that block out lichen.

Then comes the surprising announcement that from now on the word "lichen" will take the place of "lichen". Lichen? :lol: :lol:

I think that to explain the selection of the particular substitute word "lichen" over, say, "vagabond", "zirconium", "brilliantine", "lulu", "liverwort", or "Edsel", just to name a few possibilities, would be pretty difficult. I think it would probably require us to deconstruct Dale's mind---which would involve "discovering, recognizing, and understanding the underlying—and unspoken and implicit—assumptions, ideas, and frameworks that form the basis for thought and belief". I'm just not up to that right now :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Nobody really is.

Suburban Symphony
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:..."Edsel"....
Wow. Good one. I bow.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hiw did the word in the title slip through the filter? Is the filter case sensitive?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing