JC Talty [RIP]

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

JC Talty [RIP]

Post by Cayden »

Just received the sad news of the death of JC Talty .

JC was from Caherrush, just south of Spanish Point in CO Clare. A stalwart of local music magnificent whistler and long time fluteplayer with the Laitin Naoifa and Tulla Ceilibands. During the early 60s he won the all Ireland piping title.

A quiet man never seeking attention but always playing when the mood would take him he was at the centre of music most of his life, JC was a close friend of Willie Clancy and best man at Willie and Doirin’s wedding, a close friend and musical associate of Peadar O’Loughlin, Paddy Canny and many others..

He passed on his music to his niece Brid O Donohue and on a number of occasion Brid took him up to my house where we played tunes in the kitchen. Brid and JC would play like one on the whistle, even taking breaths at the same spots at times.

I’d often meet JC in the street and he would keep me occupied with stories of Willie, Seamus Ennis, Leo Rowsome and all the other musicians he was close to. Like many of th older musicians he was mad about music, it was his life and he loved it, he also had strong opinions and would not take prisoners if he didn’t like something.
It was always great to talk to him and it sad to have another of the familiar faces gone.

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

How sad. Just a few weeks ago I was driving along to the beach in Caherrush and saw his house (it's the last one before the sea), thinking of the man and his music.
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Some footage here of the Laictin Naoifa in 1961, JC playing the flute on that occasion
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Peter Laban wrote:Some footage here of the Laictin Naoifa in 1961, JC playing the flute on that occasion
May all whose lives he touched carry on a part of his musical energy, and may his soul enjoy the new venue!

Incidently, I did recognize our family nose in that film clip ...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ceadach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Ach hone. What a loss for music and what a sterling fellow! Thoughts and prayers for the Taltys.
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

For those interested : Pat Costello will do a tribute to JC tomorrow (friday) during his Clare Fm show. www.clarefm.ie