Breast Cancer Fundraiser - Results Announced

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Breast Cancer Fundraiser - Results Announced

Post by dfernandez77 »

I was granted permission to do this fundraiser for a good cause on the presumption that all donations will go directly to the non-profit organization - and they will.

I will be walking in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Los Angeles on September 16th and 17th. I am looking for kind sponsors - that's folks who donate some funds to the charity to demonstrate support for my walking twice the distance of a marathon in two days.
http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR? ... px=2443488

Coincidentally, I have some nice whistles hanging around. And there are some nice folks who are willing to give me a whistle or flute "for the cause."

From my collection:
Glenn Schultz Water Weasel - Tunable Key of High C

Mack Hoover Narrow Bore Brass - Tunable Key of High D

Butch Hall "Little Bird" Cedar Native American Flute in B Minor
http://www.butchhallflutes.com/flash/index.html

Chieftain - Non-tunable Key of A

Donated to the cause by other fine folks:

From Jerry Freeman
Tweaked Mellow Dog D

From Doug Tipple
Tipple 2-piece, 6-hole flute with bag - Key of Low D
http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

From David O'Brien
O'Brien Narrow Bore Brass - Key of High D
http://www.obrienwhistles.com/

From Tommy Dion
Irvine tweaked Waltons Mellow D

From Daniel Bingamon
E minor native flute made of fire striped Douglas Fir
http://www.tinwhistles.us/nativewind.htm

From Mitch of OZ Whistles
"Magen" specially selected Generation - High D (see post below)

From Annie at Sassafrass Grove Studio
Forest Green Twill with Navy trim and Black Watch Flannel Lining - SassySackSuper

Anonymous
Clarke Sweetone - Key of C
O'Brien Maple with Delrin Fipple, Non-tunable Key of High D
Pre-Owned Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog D

Possibly more to come
I'm waiting for word back from a couple folks, and if you have something for the cause, let me know.
-------------

If you are a nice folk, and you want to contribute to a good cause, go to my sponsorship page on the Avon Foundation website. The page is titled "White as the Pure Driven Snow" in honor of my legs.

Click on the "Support Me" button or "Make a gift!" link and make a gift to the Avon Foundation. You will be able to send me a note on the contribution page - make sure you tell me you are from C&F and what your C&F user-name is in the note. Please understand that the Avon Foundation has nothing to do with this raffle.
Go Here: http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR? ... px=2443488

Now, for every whole multiple of US$10 you contribute to the Avon Foundation to support me, I will grant people who identify themselves as C&F folks one opportunity token. US$10 = 1 token, US$20 = 2 tokens - and so forth. If you contribute more than one time, just make sure to get your info in the note to me and your total number of tokens will be based on the total amount you give to the Avon Foundation to support me.

On the 1st day of August 2006 I will pull tokens from a hat (or something equally random). I will draw one token for each available prize. If the first token is yours, you will get the first choice of the items in the prize pool at that time. If the second token is yours, you will get the second choice. It will go that way until all tokens and prizes are gone.

Probably the least recognized of the items in the prize pool right now is the Butch Hall "Little Bird" Cedar Native American Flute in B Minor. So here's a pic and sound clip:

Sound Clip: http://www.BeancurdTurtle.com/Whistle/ButchHall-NAF.mp3

I will probably add other quick pics and clips for the other items as the month progresses.

I hope you have the means to participate and contribute to such a great cause.
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Sounds like a fun idea for a good cause. Best of luck!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Congratulations wrote:Best of luck!
Thanks!

Fundraising Update:
As of June 29, 2006 at 19:36 PDT

C&F Sponsor Dollars $0.00
Opportunity Tokens Issued 0

Tommy Dion is supporting the cause with an Irvine Tweaked Whistle, I'm still confirming the key.

Here's a pic and clip of the Chieftain up for grabs. It's like new - I just brought it back from Ireland.

I just started learning "Boys of Bluehill" you can listen to me fumble through it on the Chieftain:
http://www.beancurdturtle.com/Whistle/Chieftain-A.mp3
Daniel

waltcamp45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by waltcamp45 »

As the lucky SOB ... er, I mean, soul, who won 1st prize in a similar raffle held by Daniel Bingamon a few months ago, I'd like to encourage folks to take part.

You're helping a great cause and get the chance to land a fine whistle. I came away with a gorgeous looking and sounding Alba low D that is the pride of my humble collection.

Hope someone else winds up equally fortunate this time around!

Walt
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

[quote=
Tommy Dion is supporting the cause with an Irvine Tweaked Whistle, I'm still confirming the key.
[/quote]

I mailed you an Irvine tweaked Waltons Mellow D today. Good luck on your walk.

Could we send you donations with paypal instead of the other site.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Tommy wrote:Could we send you donations with paypal instead of the other site.
I'll update the whistle list. Thanks a lot!

I'm supposed to have envelopes soon to mail to people who want to send a check instead of using a credit card on the Avon Foundation sponsor page. Anyone can PM me their address and I'll send out the stuff when I receive it.

Thanks again!
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Fundraising Update:
As of July 1, 2006 at 23:00 PDT

C&F Sponsor Dollars $40.00
Opportunity Tokens Issued 4
Items to gift away 9
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel Bingamon is contributing to the gift pool.

He's adding an E minor native flute made of fire striped Douglas Fir. I'll append it to the list at the top.

Sounds very exotic! I want to hear it when it's done.

Thanks Daniel!
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

As of July 3, 2006 at 10:40 PDT

Another whistle - O'Brien Maple with Delrin Fipple, Non-tunable Key of High D - was contributed to help the cause.

Total C&F donations are unchanged at US$40
Daniel

Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

They need to give this message sticky status so that more people can learn about it.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Fundraising Update:
As of July 4, 2006 at 19:40 PDT

C&F Sponsor Dollars $80.00
Opportunity Tokens Issued 8
Items to gift away 11

Here's a pic and clip of the Water Weasel up for grabs.

I just started learning "Danny Boy". My dad used to sing it to me, he passed away 5 years ago on the 7th of July:
http://www.beancurdturtle.com/Whistle/WaterWeasel-c.mp3
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Fund-raising Update:
As of July 8, 2006 at 11:52 PDT

C&F Sponsor Dollars $100.00
Opportunity Tokens Issued 10
Instruments in the pot 13

Whistles Update:
Mitch at OZ Whistles will be adding a special whistle he is calling "The Magen" or something. I'll let him talk about it - quite a story.

I'm pretty sure an anonymous donor will be providing a Holunder wood whistle in the key of A. I'm still confirming this.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=20287
Daniel

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ah yeah ... The "Magen":

I've got nearly a hundred Gens in the key of D here. So I decided to see if any of them were legendary "Magic" ones (Magens). The magic ones come in 2 styles:

Light Magens are said to be so good that they make you play like the all-time great whistle players (they must do because most of the great players seem to have one).

Then there's dark Magens - these evil little beasties are supposedly so bad that they can turn a learner away from music for life, or even destroy a promising musical career.

So here's what I'll do - I've got a matrix of playing characteristics that I can score each whistle against -

The highest scoring whistle I'll dub "Oz Whistles Magen 2006" and donate it to the raffle.

The worst scoring one will be dubbed "Psychohazard" and burried in concrete at a secret location to prevent its music-destroying radiation from affecting Whistledom.

Of course, all this is the stuff of legend - I can't guarantee the veracity of the stories. Pointing a Magen at things may not affect them a bit. Mind you, there is one contender that is showing some promise ;)

The quest will be complete by Friday - I'm about half way through ATM. I'll post some pics when it's done.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sounds good, Mitch. Here's hoping you'll run across that one true icon of plastic fippledom to be glorified in story and song for all of eternity: the leGENd whistle!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Just a little more than
TWO WEEKS
left on this folks!

Several makers have donated great stuff...
... why, I've even heard that there is a SassySackSuper in the mix (cough)... so
!!!GET DONATING!!! ... please :)
Remember, each $10 of your donation nets you one opportunity token for chances to win those donated items ...

It's a great cause, there's great stuff in the raffle, and it's a great opportunity to both contribute to the defeat of Breast Cancer, and to win! That's a clear Win! Win! situation!

Besides, we don't want Daniel to feel compelled to give us any more proof of the fish-belly tan his legs sport, than his word!! :o
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com