Whose Pipes are These?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
smithand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whose Pipes are These?

Post by smithand »

Any idea who made these pipes?

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Any photos of the chanter on its own? It's hard to see anything in the two photos you've posted.
PJ
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

PJ wrote:Any photos of the chanter on its own? It's hard to see anything in the two photos you've posted.
It looks like this set on ebay. Seller has (0) feedback...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UILLEANN-PIPES-PRACT ... dZViewItem
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

This set and the same question came up on the NPU Forum.Thomas said he thought it was a Froment set.He said judging by the windcap decoration,but wasnae sure because it was in brass and asked if he made any in brass.I havnae scooby but it does have a rush up the entire bore which is symptomatic of a Froment.Other than that it sounds OK (although I hope the player got the bus he was rushing for when playing Out on the Ocean.or was it the lifeboat??:wink:)
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Do the mounts and the stopper (top of chanter top) look similar to this:

The piper is Patrick Molard. He plays a Froment set, I believe. I'm not saying that the practice set is a Froment, just that it looks similar.

Edited to add:

Does Alain Froment work in brass? I thought he worked only in stainless and very occasionally in German silver, although I do recalling seeing a half set of his in 1996 and it was in brass.
Last edited by PJ on Sat May 20, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
smithand

Post by smithand »

Doogie wrote:
PJ wrote:Any photos of the chanter on its own? It's hard to see anything in the two photos you've posted.
It looks like this set on ebay. Seller has (0) feedback...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UILLEANN-PIPES-PRACT ... dZViewItem
Yes it is. I think PayPal's Buyer Protection would give some safety in case it's a scam.

Andrew
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

The top (without the stop key) certainly looks the same with I think I can make out the same amount of turnings on the brass/steel and imitation ivory.Anyways the auction ends in 14hours so it will be interesting to see who grabs it in the end

PJ ye seemed to have answered your own question viz

Does Alain Froment work in brass? I thought he worked only in stainless and very occasionally in German silver, although I do recalling seeing a half set of his in 1996 and it was in brass.

Uilliam
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Doesn't look like any Froment work to me. I've seen a lot of his early work in brass and this doesn't look like any I've seen.
Could be something by Lorcan Dunne or John Mitchell in Cork. But I don't think they make the studded bags. I am, and I could be wrong, guessing that because the set isn't very old, the bag, bellows and chanter were made by the same person.

Could it be a Williams chanter.... maybe....

my 2p.

Tommy
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

tompipes wrote:Doesn't look like any Froment work to me.
my 2p.

Tommy
Have ye looked at the close up links on the auction site?The top of the cap certainly looks like his work (minus the stop key) + the rush up the bore...or are Thomas and I looking at something totally different to ye?
Uilliam
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Uilliam,
The chanter top does look a bit like Froment's stuff. He does do that false ivory top with the metal rod through the top cap.

That is the signature Froment chanter top after the Leo Rowsome chanter that Kevin Rowsome is playing at the moment.

Where as the top of the chanter may be similar to Froment/Rowsome stuff, none of the rest of the chanter looks like any of those makers work.
The turning on the rest of the chanter is way to round to be Froment or even Rowsome.

The scalloping is very good too. But the turning is not very tight, I'll still go with Williams or some other very good English maker.

The buyer won't go wrong anyway!!!!
Tommy
phcook

Post by phcook »

Patrick Molard usually uses a Williams set with a Froment chanter.
Breizh soner