crans

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

crans

Post by pop »

Crans I have no problem on my high d and c , on the Bb i started to struggle a little but on the low F im finding im doing everything with my top hand that includes rolls as well, im cutting with L1 and L3 for everything and L2 and r3 to a lesser extent seem like anchor fingers.I have just seen a post where the tone of the blips do matter, because of the way my bottom hand has to be on the F i cant see myself ever getting the crans right with the bottom hand.When i do them with the top hand i go L1 L3 R1 and sometimes if my fingers are loose throw in a R2 [only on the high whistles] on the end as well if its a cran on D,anybody else do this and do i really need to change.I probably havent explained it very well,Do you keep the same techniques for low whistle as you use on high is what im asking i suppose.
cheers
J.MC
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

From what I've understood in Grey Larsons tutor, (Irish flute and tin whistle) cranns are really only meant for the E and D notes. And he suggests to crann on D, you cut with B2 and B1.

Like this:
play the D: XXX XXX <-- bottom hand
First cut: XXX XOX
2cd cut: XXX OXX
Last Cut: XXX XOX

And if I remember correctly, that's a long crann. On low D.

E Crann would look like this:
Play the E: XXX XXO <--- Again, bottom hand. (just to make sure)
1st cut: XXX OXO
2cd cut: XXO XXO
3cd. Cut: XXX OXO

And again, that's another long crann just on E.

However, since I play right hand on top, my left hand would have to do all the cutting with the exception for the E crann. And since I'm right handed, this means my weaker hand is on the bottom doing most of the work for cranns. So, the way I play cranns, I split the up the work. Cutting with the upper hand first, then to lower hand, then finally back up to the upper hand. Some people probably won't agree with this style, but, I've listened to cranns, the way Grey Larson plays them, and the way I played them, there's really no significant difference. If you play it slowly, you can clearly tell my way will have a higher pitched first and last cut, but I've understood cuts to be played so fast, you can't really notice what pitch it is. "They aren't notes, they're articulations..."

So, for a long D Crann, I would play it like this:

Play the D: XXX XXX <-- bottom hand
1st Cut: XXO XXX
2cd Cut: XXX XOX
3rd Cut: XXO XXX

And when my fingers are having a good day, it sounds beautiful. Yes, I realize it's far different then Grey's way, and maybe the whole way period. But it's still the same concept, and it still does the same thing which is a crann, which if I read right, is a series of 3 cuts played rapidly. This is way is just a lot easier for me. I'm playing around with the idea of doing my way backwards, as in cut with B2 first, then T3, then back down to B2.

And in all honesty, I don't really use cranns much in a lot of the tunes I play. Some, yes, but the majority it's just rolls. Hope this helps!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

And to response on your question about keeping the same techniques on the low whistle, the answer is yes. I do.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't play a low whistle, only flute; the lowest whistle I play is Bb. For me, all techniques are pretty much the same throughout the whistle-to-flute spectrum. I don't see why using the left hand would be easier for you, but if it works better and doesn't sound bad, why not?

What I'm trying to understand is what you say you're doing on a crann: if you're using L1, L2, and L3, is that when cranning the bottom note? Just tried it on a high D whistle, and it seems serviceable enough, although the L1 muddles things a bit for me (it's no good at all cranning on a flute that way, I find). Maybe you could try L2, L3, and R1, or something?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pop

Post by pop »

Right what i normally have been doing on the high whistles is this..

xxx xxx
xxo xxx
xxx oxx
xxx xox
xxx xxx
and this is what i have been playing as a cran on d
no tounging just rolling the fingers down.and i thought i had it sounding ok and getting it to fit,but on the low it sounds realy sloppy because i cannot get the dexterity ie a good seal,i might be able to with your suggestion il give it a go

This is happening on the low currently.and sounds ok ish but i knew it couldn't be right.
xxx xxx
oxx xxx
xxo xxx
xxx oxx
xxx xxx
again no toungue just rolling the fingers constant stream.
Your way is so much easier cheers. :) il see if i can get it.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Key_of_D wrote: So, for a long D Crann, I would play it like this:

Play the D: XXX XXX <-- bottom hand
1st Cut: XXO XXX
2cd Cut: XXX XOX
3rd Cut: XXO XXX

And when my fingers are having a good day, it sounds beautiful. Yes, I realize it's far different then Grey's way, and maybe the whole way period. But it's still the same concept, and it still does the same thing which is a crann, which if I read right, is a series of 3 cuts played rapidly.
I have to try that one. I've never been satisfied with the sound of my crans, not as defined as I'd like. A bit erratic perhaps

Cheerio
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
pop

Post by pop »

Nanohedron wrote:I don't play a low whistle, only flute; the lowest whistle I play is Bb. For me, all techniques are pretty much the same throughout the whistle-to-flute spectrum. I don't see why using the left hand would be easier for you, but if it works better and doesn't sound bad, why not?

What I'm trying to understand is what you say you're doing on a crann: if you're using L1, L2, and L3, is that when cranning the bottom note? Just tried it on a high D whistle, and it seems serviceable enough, although the L1 muddles things a bit for me (it's no good at all cranning on a flute that way, I find). Maybe you could try L2, L3, and R1, or something?
to be honest my L2 thats on my top hand doesnt do much at all but i can get my L1 and L3 flying when warm R2 bottom hand doesnt really do much either they both seem to be sort of anchored and only lift when they have to, and everything else does the work.What i will have to do is put a clip up and let you hear it and get some advice as i know its hard this way. il get the nerve soon maybe :)
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

I do the following on the D:

XXX XXX
XXX OXX
XXX XOX
XXO XXX

for a long one.
the final tap is very easy to concentrate on - since it's the energetic L3.
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

To me it seems that one can do a cran using actually whatever fingers one could use to perform a cut. So all the suggested crans above could work well. I've noticed that the sound of cuts in general varies from whistle to whistle, so I'd suggest that one should experiment different crans and go for the one that works best for particular whistle and player. The best, if you can find a cran that works well with both the low and high whistles you have.
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

If you ever plan to get into flute playing (or even if it's a remote possibility) then work on your bottom hand cranns. I personally do this:

xxxxxx
xxoxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxox
xxxxxx
xxxoxx
xxxxxx

If you try to crann on a flute above l1, you can (make that *will often*) get stuck in an overtone and consequently flip into the second octave unintentionally. Which is a cool effect sometimes but not always. Getting a good hard D is an art in itself and cranning adds to the challenge.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.