Bothy Band CD's - Why so expensive??!?!?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bothy Band CD's - Why so expensive??!?!?

Post by Reepicheep »

I recently picked up "Long Grazing Acre" and I can say that in the week I've owned it I've discovered Paddy Keenan and I am more than obsessed with the man's music and talent.

So that means I need to get my hands on some Bothy Band recordings... but have you seen the prices these cd's are going for on Amazon and eBay? Anywhere between $45 and $99!!!! Are these superbit recordings on 24 karat gold disks?

Kinda disappointing... I was hoping to pick up a cd or two.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think this has been up before, the yare readily available at Custy's for average prices. Amazon UK has them going at £11.99-£14.
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Peter Laban wrote:I think this has been up before, the yare readily available at Custy's for average prices. Amazon UK has them going at £11.99-£14. Maybe you should put a bit more effort in looking for them.
Not sure why I deserve the snarky response. I was asking why these cd's are appearing (at least on the USA side of the pond) at such inflated prices.

Given the unfavorable exchange rates, ordering from Amazon.uk and Ossian.ie plus international shipping... these cd's are still pushing $35-40 USD... which is a lot for any cd.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Reepicheep wrote: Not sure why I deserve the snarky response. I was asking why these cd's are appearing (at least on the USA side of the pond) at such inflated prices.

Neither am I. I was back to take them out. Anyhow, it seems extremely strange for a widely available CD couldn't be found at an average price if you look for it in the right places. Claddagh for example has them for 20 euro each.

I don't believe given exchange and postage rates you'd end up paying 35-40: 20 euro (and 12% VAT is included in the price, this will be deducted when ordered from outside the EU) for a CD plus postage (3,25 euro from Ireland) will get you around $26-28 , not 35-40.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Remember that over here we pay high prices (20 euro is typical) for pretty much all CDs, so if you import, you'll be sharing our pain as well as paying shipping and possibly import duty.

[edited to add:] That looked a little weird when I re-read it - I am not implying that you need to do any kind of penance, only that the 20 euro starting price is pretty typical for CDs over here.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

more Keenan

Post by vanfleet »

You wrote:
I recently picked up "Long Grazing Acre" and I can say that in the week I've owned it I've discovered Paddy Keenan and I am more than obsessed with the man's music and talent.
Sorry to add to your woes, but you should really try to get hold of the album/cd "Doublin" by Paddy Keenan and Paddy Glackin. Best piping album of Keenan by far, just straight-forward arrangements of pipes and fiddle.

Unfortunately, I see on Amazon it is "out of print." What's up with that!?
bensdad

gemm.com

Post by bensdad »

Try gemm.com--plenty available. The prices vary wildly. Out of the Wind can be had for anywhere from $18 to $205!
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I've order'd Out of the Wind with one of our shops for the price 20$ a year ago and still haven't got it :evil:
By the way, what about mp3 albums from web?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Checked the iTunes Music store and they're not available there (at least not in Canada). Green Linnet is the company that re-released the Bothy Band albums on CD in the 1980s, but I don't see any of them listed on the Green Linnet site anymore. I wonder if they lost the rights to those albums? I know all the stories about GL being in dire financial straits, but plenty of people are still in the market for Bothy Band CDs so I would think they would have done a new batch if they could.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

How's this for inflated? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... oding=UTF8

What the....?

PD.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

And to think that I gave away my original Mulligan Bothy Band LPs about 10 years ago...to a radio DJ in Dublin who wanted them for his collection. Wonder what those would be worth today?!
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Dealers charge high prices because someone eventually shows up and wants it at any cost.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

That is scary...but now I know what to do with those old Bothy band records I was going to throw out...
J.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

..off to check the vinyl stash.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Maybe I could ask a question here about an example of something I get confused about:

Okay, here is the album Patrick was showing:
1975: The First Album

Audio CD (January 5, 1993)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Green Linnet
Catalog Number: 3011
ASIN: B000005CS0

So I think the above isn't the original, but was published by the original company in 1993.

Okay, so then I find:
The Bothy Band - 1975
LUNCD002
It says it is a 2003 re-release of the original recording. This CD is at quite a few places.

My question is: Is there something wrong with the bottom CD that should make a person wary of buying it? (The picture is bad, so don't hold that against it.) I think that number is a Claddagh Records number, so that is a reputable company I believe. Oh, I see Peter mentioned this already.

Is it just that the blue ones are left from 1993 and then another company bought the rights to the CD and it looks different on the outside but is of equal quality? Please pardon any stupidity here but this is something that has confused and worried me a number of times. I know it is goofy.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca