Human quadrupeds found in Turkey

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Human quadrupeds found in Turkey

Post by rh »

Walking on all fours with the ancestors
By Sam Lister

FIVE brothers and sisters who can only walk naturally on all fours are being hailed as a unique insight into human evolution, after being found in a remote corner of rural Turkey.

Scientists believe that the family may provide invaluable information on how Man evolved from a four-legged hominid to develop the ability to walk on two feet more than three million years ago.

A genetic abnormality, which may prevent the siblings, aged 18 to 34, from walking upright, has been identified.
Full story at
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 32,00.html
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

And babies live in fluid before they're born so that must mean they evolved from sea creatures.

yada yada yada.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rh

Post by rh »

Flyingcursor wrote:And babies live in fluid before they're born so that must mean they evolved from sea creatures.

yada yada yada.
ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny, or so they told me in college.

edited to fix typo, which is preserved in tyler's post below
Last edited by rh on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

rh wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:And babies live in fluid before they're born so that must mean they evolved from sea creatures.

yada yada yada.
ontogeny recapitualtes phylogeny, or so they told me in college.
Flibbidy-dibbidy. Flobidob blib-blob-bleep, or so they told ME in college! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I was told that ontology recapitulates philology. But never mind. I have catholic tastes when it comes to recapitulation.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

rh wrote:

yada yada yada.
ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny, or so they told me in college.

edited to fix typo, which is preserved in tyler's post below
That explains it. Was I ever wrong this time.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rh

Post by rh »

Flyingcursor wrote: That explains it. Was I ever wrong this time.
could be the professor was wrong, too... i did go to school in southern Illinois, after all... :lol:

come to think of it, there might've been some human quadrupeds down there too...
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Human quadrupeds found in Turkey

Post by oleorezinator »

rh wrote:
Walking on all fours with the ancestors
By Sam Lister

FIVE brothers and sisters who can only walk naturally on all fours are being hailed as a unique insight into human evolution, after being found in a remote corner of rural Turkey.

Scientists believe that the family may provide invaluable information on how Man evolved from a four-legged hominid to develop the ability to walk on two feet more than three million years ago.

A genetic abnormality, which may prevent the siblings, aged 18 to 34, from walking upright, has been identified.
Full story at
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 32,00.html
nothing suprising. they're all over capitol hill and at 1600 pennsylvania ave. but much less highly evolved in washington.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Those poor people. They look so ridiculous, but are seen smiling in a few pictures and are described as having "tremendous warmth and humanity" and also as "mentally retarded." Their parents are also apparently both mentally retarded as well.

I've read a bit about them, and these five siblings with this kind of walking have over a dozen other siblings with brain damage of one sort or another, apparently. It makes me sad that there could be a whole family of 20 retarded people, five of whom walk like animals, and nobody noticed until now.

It's quite interesting, though. It reminds me of the family in Mexico (or Honduras?) where a few of the people born into it are completely covered in hair all their lives...
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

After hearing the tabloid reporter floggin' his book, I thought this was a hoax. Guess not...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't watch movies, but I find myself wanting to watch this BBC documentary. Too bad I don't get BBC or have a television set. :P
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

These people must surely lie somewhere between the lower animals and men, eh?
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If only they'd told us that ontogeny sort of recapitulates phylogeny. A few months ago I could conceivably have felt a big thread coming on at this point from Wombat and Darwin... :wink:

Most of my teachers at the grammar school I went to had one "clever thing" they liked to come out with. The aforementioned bon mot was the preserve of the biology teacher (to whom we accorded the soubriquet, deservedly, "Jelly Belly"). Our Latin master liked to tell us that "Caesar adsum iam forte...etc." :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:Flibbidy-dibbidy. Flobidob blib-blob-bleep, or so they told ME in college! :P
Hmm.. Sounds to me like you are actually recalling episodes of "Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men," though somewhat imperfectly. :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:These people must surely lie somewhere between the lower animals and men, eh?
Oh, you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician