Poor Man's Mandolin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Poor Man's Mandolin

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have been looking for a low-cost "A" style mandolin with a solid top. "rh", a C & F member, recommended the Kentucky brand that was in my price range of under $500. However, instead of going with the Kentucky mandolin at about $350, I decided to have a look at this $79.95 mandolin on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MANDOLIN-A-STYL ... dZViewItem

The mandolin arrived in the mail yesterday, and I have to admit that I am impressed with its tone (Old Hickory brand, made in China). It makes the sound of the laminated top mandolin that I had been playing seem tiny in comparison. The gold plating of the hardware isn't as good as I would like, but I can live with it for an instrument that I plan to play on the street. Also, before I could play the mandolin, I needed to adjust the nut and bridge. However, for a solid spruce top mandolin with flammed maple sides and back, this is a good value for the ridiculously low price. The same mandolin is also available without the sunburst finish for the same price.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

At $79.95, it makes one wonder just how many cents an hour those "hand carvers" are making, not to mention the less "skilled" employees..... :o

Loren
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I don't know what the answer is, Loren. If we boycott Chinese goods...it's gonna be hard to have any....uh....stuff.

Dale
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

DaleWisely wrote:I don't know what the answer is, Loren. If we boycott Chinese goods...it's gonna be hard to have any....uh....stuff.

Dale

Aww c'mon Dale, we'd still have plenty of stuff, it's just that we'd all need to go get jobs as plastic sugeons to afford our U.S.A. made stuff :wink:

I'm just dreading the day when Michael Flatley gets permission to bring Riverdance to Beijing - once the chinese get hooked on "Irish" music, we western whistle and flute makers are done for :lol:

Loren
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Looks exactly like my old Kentucky, except for the pick guard. Probably made in the same factory.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Loren wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I don't know what the answer is, Loren. If we boycott Chinese goods...it's gonna be hard to have any....uh....stuff.

Dale

Aww c'mon Dale, we'd still have plenty of stuff, it's just that we'd all need to go get jobs as plastic sugeons to afford our U.S.A. made stuff :wink:

I'm just dreading the day when Michael Flatley gets permission to bring Riverdance to Beijing - once the chinese get hooked on "Irish" music, we western whistle and flute makers are done for :lol:

Loren
Yeah, the Pakistanis are already giving the flute makers a run for their money.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
missy

Post by missy »

there's Romanian Appalachian dulcimers........

unfortunately, their "quality control" leaves something to be desired - some are fine, others are what we refer to as DSO's - dulcimer shaped objects.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Chris Laughlin, where are you? This thread has your name written all over it........

Loren
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

I bought a mandolin for the same price off ebay, well, a bit more because of our Canadian exchange rate and customs charges, but still, I was impressed with the fact it didn't totaly suck. Mines made in China as well, it's a good mandolin to learn on. Congrats on your new Mando!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Man, for $80, even if you just hang it on the wall you haven't done bad. Doug-- you could swap out the cheesy gold hardware for better stuff and still end up with a reasonable mandolin.

BTW-- I DID have a Chinese would-be whistle maker visit me a year or so ago. As far as I know, he's not making any yet. He spent some time with Glenn Schultz too. He bought a whistle and gave me a really nifti Chinese Dizi flute.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!