Augusta Heritage Group Discounts

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Augusta Heritage Group Discounts

Post by dow »

In the literature about the Augusta Irish Week, it says, "
Group discounts will continue to be offered. With a group of four, you’ll get $50
off each full time class and with five or more, you’ll get $70 off each full time
class if you all register at the same time.
http://www.augustaheritage.com/Dec05-Ja ... histle.pdf

I got to wondering if those of us from C&F could qualify as a group, so I fired off an email and this is the response that I got:
Judy Knorr at Augusta wrote:Now about the group discount. As long as 5 registrations come in on the same day (on the web or in the same envelope), I can use them for a group discount of $70 on each registration. Folk Arts for Kids registrations will count toward a group, but since the tuition of $335 is already discounted, there isn't an additional amount taken off of it. Just pick a group name, and everyone mention that on the registration form.
I haven't registered yet, but am planning to in the next week, (on the 12th). Does anybody want to go in with me as a group? According to Judy, We'd have to submit our registration forms on the same day and make a note on the form that we were part of the same group.

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here, but it would be nice to have a group going and also save a buck (or 70).

Thanks.

Edited to specify date
Last edited by dow on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Byron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Byron »

Great idea Dow, but I'm already registered. The group thing is a great idea. I wonder how many Chiffers are going. Might try the other boards.

Byron
dow

Post by dow »

Thanks for the idea, Byron. Will do.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I am going and have not registered. Anyone who is flying in will probably have to fly in to Clarksburg and will have to have me meet them at the airport. They say you can get a cab to Elkins but you can not, espacially if the cab driver has gotten to some money or a girlfriend. I desperately want to do the you-play-mine-and-I'll-play-yours session.

Look at a map on the internet, Clarksburg is about 30 miles from Elkins. I live near Romney, 30 more miles up. Two gas stations and no stop lights between them. I run the youth soccer programs in Petersburg, Moorefield, Keyser, and Franklin. You do not need a rented car to get around, absolutely no place to go to. If I can not take you down, maybe I can find someone reliable.

Lesl is going to find out from Mike Raferty, which of the tunes in her book of his tunes, that she is selling; which ones will he use to teach. That way we can concentrate on things other than learning the tunes. Well, she daid she would try. I hope she does.

Nelson
dow

Post by dow »

That's a great offer, Nelso, for folks it will work for. I was planning on coming in on the 22nd, and unfortunately, there's a 26 hour layover in pittsburg to catch a flight from there to Clarksburg (according to Orbitz). Apparently, There's only one flight from Pittsburg to Clarksburg on Saturday. So I guess I'll be flying into Pittsburg and renting a car. I looked at flying into Charleston, but the rates are a good bit higher to do that.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

I really, really want to go, but I can't be gone from the baby for that long. Anyone know if there is camping nearby or other places that would hold my husband's and 7-year old's interest for a week?

Would I miss enough to make the week not worthwhile if I popped out of the noon and evening events?

It's probably not feasible to go this year, but a girl can dream :)
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

My husband's thinking of attending for the writing workshop. If he does, my 8-year-old will come too (she'll be nine then) and do the workshops for kids...

I sure remember the times of being needed fairly constantly by the little ones. How old is your youngest? Not young enough, I suppose, that by summer it would be the portable sort.

One can certainly keep on dreaming. But add some scheming, too. It might just work!

Jennie
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

OK, here are some ideas:
(1) For a husband&daughter situation, you an get a room at Blackwater State Park for the family. There are more things for them to do than you can shake a stick at. And there are other possibilies to research.
(2) If any one can catch a train from Pittsburg to Cumberland, MD, that is the best arrangment. My farm is 20 minutes from the Cumberland train station. If you do have to rent a car, maybe you can meet some people at the Clarksburg airport who will otherwise be stranded, on your way to Elkins.
(3) Consider my farm as a way station to and from Augusta. I have a big empty farm house occupied only by me and my wife. People come out from DC and sit on the front porch until they get bed sours from looking at the mountains 60 miles away. The farm is well stocked with penny whistles, bagpipes, flutes, recorders key borad, and food. We would love to have you.
(4) At Davis & Elkins College, they might be having riding camps and soccer camps for kids. Check them out.

Nelson McAvoy
Rt 6 Box 6514
Keyser, WV 26726
(304)813-9977 (cell)
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Did anything ever come about from this? I wasna reading C&F at the time that this topic was active, and just now saw it for the first time.

I wonder if everyone in the group would have to take the same workshop to qualify for the discount. I’m a whistle player, and so the whistle workshop is what I would be taking.
Check out: Folding@Home!
dow

Post by dow »

Hello, Tweeto,

There were several of us that signed up together to get the discount. I don't know if you could get one or not at this time, but you could certainly contact Judy Knorr at Augusta to ask. The condition when we did the group discount thing was that all of the applications had to be submitted in the same envelop if mailed, and if done online, they all had to be submitted the same day.

HTH,

Dow
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Tweeto wrote:I wonder if everyone in the group would have to take the same workshop to qualify for the discount.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the same workshop.

-Craig
dow

Post by dow »

Craig Stuntz wrote:
Tweeto wrote:I wonder if everyone in the group would have to take the same workshop to qualify for the discount.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the same workshop.

-Craig
OH yeah, I forgot that. No, you don't have to take the same workshop. Thanks Craig.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX