Sweetheart Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweetheart Low D

Post by Dale »

I've been loaned a Sweetheart Low D.

I've not been able to name a favorite Low D whistle over the years. I love the muscular complexity of the Overton, the purity of the Burke, the flute-like Copeland.

That said, this may be the finest Low D I've ever played.

Dale
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi Dale,

So how would you describe it - Muscular, Pure, Flute-like, Mischevious, Lustful, Authoritative, Delicious ...?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Mitch wrote:Hi Dale,

So how would you describe it - Muscular, Pure, Flute-like, Mischevious, Lustful, Authoritative, Delicious ...?
Hm. I'd say .... adjective-defying.

Sort of authoritively, muscularly pure in a complex and transparently mysterious sort of way.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

DaleWisely wrote:transparently mysterious
In an overtly subtle sort of way?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

DaleWisely wrote:
Mitch wrote:Hi Dale,

Hm. I'd say .... adjective-defying.

Sort of authoritively, muscularly pure in a complex and transparently mysterious sort of way.
Wow, that's one hell of a rap coming from you ...

hmmm ... has anyone actually done any quantified comparative analysis of this stuff (apart from Wanderer's excellent review page - among others) ??

For example, I ran a couple of clips from someone's comparative post through a spectrum analysis on Cool pro (Clark and a Tully I think it was) Turned-up some very obvious differnces, particularly in the high-order harmonics ...

Perhapse establishing a set of standards and benchmarks might be of value to some folks, then again, why upset the mystery.

I think I'm about due for a labour-of-love ...

Opinions?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Didn't someone make a page with the acoustic wave stuff on it of a lot of whistles recently?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I was also thinking of a test for loudness. Reviewers work really hard to qualify loudness by comparison to other whistles, but there are enough concrete-sequential sciencey types aroud that we might be able to find a standard. This would, of course, be in addition to the poetic elegance of our usual reviews.

I was thinking of a Radio Shack digital SPL meter, A weight scale, 10 feet distant, in a large room, making as close to hemispherical radiance as possible. The el-cheapo ($60 Canadian) spl meter is widely available, and pretty accurate.

We could pick a test jig where the a-section is in the 1st octave, and the b-section goes up to A or B, then provide figures for both.

Is this getting too persnickity?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Loudness is a very relative thing. I ran all my soprano D's through this test, and found that the one I considered mellowest and not at all loud was by far my loudest by the meter. Loud appears to be as much a factor of 'pure' as it is of volume.

Glad Dale likes that Low D!

Tyg
Last edited by Tyghress on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Chiffed wrote:I was thinking of a Radio Shack digital SPL meter, A weight scale, 10 feet distant, in a large room, making as close to hemispherical radiance as possible.
I've done that with several whistles as a means of comparing methods of "muffling" them. I'll publish the results sometime. Obviously, how you play the whistle has a big effect on how loud it is. But one thing which is interesting from such a comparison is octave balance.

I don't know if it's particularly instructive in terms of choosing which whistle to buy, though. One thing which might be nice is a standardized set of adjectives for timbre. But sound recordings and hearing live performance are, in the end, the most informative things for me.
regor

Post by regor »

Hey, I have this vision of a Cat scan.... :D i.e. does the cat stays in the room or runs away... then if he does, how far he goes would give a measure of loudness.... :boggle:

Kidding appart, even when I record using dual mics, it isn't unual that some of the high notes have a higher db level from the mic channel that is further away from the source (the two mics are the same). It seems that high notes propagation and perception is a complex phenomenon. I also find that two recordings at the same db level, one with a Low D, and the other with a High D, that the Low D sounds (to my ear) louder... go figure...
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sorry to dredge up a really old thread, but I haven't been able to find a "real" review of this intriguing whistle yet --- and no mp3 files anywhere. I think Tygress may have said Walt Sweet was going to post a clip at www.sweetheartflute.com , but there's nothing there yet. Any Sweetheart low-D players want to post your impressions, and maybe a soundclip?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

crookedtune wrote:Sorry to dredge up a really old thread, but I haven't been able to find a "real" review of this intriguing whistle yet --- and no mp3 files anywhere. I think Tygress may have said Walt Sweet was going to post a clip at www.sweetheartflute.com , but there's nothing there yet. Any Sweetheart low-D players want to post your impressions, and maybe a soundclip?
I really really wish I could post a clip right now, but the fact is -- in a fit of generosity I sold my whistle, knowing that I would be able to replace it as soon as a new batch was made. As soon as they're done I'll claim my replacement, and we'll get clips on the Sweetheart Flute site.

Sincerely,
Tyg (who may never have a fit of generosity again in re: whistles at least!)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

crookedtune wrote:Sorry to dredge up a really old thread, but I haven't been able to find a "real" review of this intriguing whistle yet --- and no mp3 files anywhere. I think Tygress may have said Walt Sweet was going to post a clip at www.sweetheartflute.com , but there's nothing there yet. Any Sweetheart low-D players want to post your impressions, and maybe a soundclip?
Here's a thorough review, but no mp3: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=29952

Someday, someone will come forward with a good sound clip.
Keith