Whistle Raffle for S. Dakota Medical Clinic - 15 Whistles!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Whistle Raffle for S. Dakota Medical Clinic - 15 Whistles!

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

We're conducting a fundraiser (Raffle) to help a medical clinic in Porcupine South Dakota.

This clinic is located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation for the Oglala Sioux or also known as the Oglala Lakota people.

Conditions on this Indian reservation is experiencing over 80% unemployment, almost half of the population over 40 at the reservation have diabetes. Many of the children also have also shown early signs of diabetes.

Life expectancy for men is 48 years. Life expectancy for women is 52.

On this reservation is the Porcupine Clinic, this is the only independent Indian community controlled clinic. If the people have no insurance or inable to pay, this clinic is there to meet their needs - no one is turned away. Native Americans have a gene that makes them susceptable to diabetes -

You can read more about this clinic here: http://www.lakotamall.com/porcupine/

At the writing of this message, there are currently nine whistles added to the prize pool. I'm adding three and I also give thanks to Jerry Freeman and Mack Hoover who are great guys and are great whistleamakers.

To participate: Donate $10 or more. We'll draw for prizes after the deadline of March 1, 2006. The money is sent directly to the clinic and the prizes will be drawn on the 15th of march - giving time for the postage to go to the clinic. The first three prizes will be selected by the winners in order of winning, 1st prize decides first, etc. The details and registration are at this web address.

http://www.kingsmills.us/porcupine.htm

I have permission from Dale to conduct this, and would request if possible to make this thread a temporary 'sticky'.

The Porcupine Clinic is tax deductable, the information is at this address:
http://www.lakotamall.com/allies/become.htm
Last edited by Daniel_Bingamon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'd just like to verify what Daniel said about the diabetes endemic in the American Indian population. A few years ago I was chosen as part of a sample group from my tribe to participate in a study the University of Oklahoma was conducting on this problem. I declined to participate, but my sister has since developed diabetes, and is under special diabetic care at our tribe's clinic. Statistics show an unusually high increase in diabetes since the 1940's in the population of my tribe, and the same holds true among many tribes throughout the United States.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daniel_Bingamon

If you have trouble sending the mail message for the registration, the email address is raffle at kingsmills.us (Put '@' in place of the word ' at '.
Daniel_Bingamon

There are now 14 whistles in the prize pool.

By Anonymous Donation:
Burke WBB - old style in D
Black Diamond D

Donated by dfernandez77
O'Brien Maple High D Whistle

Donated by Stacey O'Gorman
Alba Low-D Non-tuneable

Donated by Bill Whedon
Serpent Music High-D Village Smithy

Donated by Mack Hoover
Hoover Ab Brass
Hoover Low-G thin-wall Brass
Hoover Walking Stick A

Donated by Jerry Freeman
Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog High-D
Freeman Tweaked Generation
Freeman Tweaked Shaw

Donated by Daniel Bingamon
Jubilee Brass Low-D Pennywhistle
Jubilee Aluminum Low-D Pennwhistle
Jubilee Ahava Rabba mode whistle in D, 7-hole model
Last edited by Daniel_Bingamon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

making donations by paypal would be handy for people living outside the U.S.
would it be possible to open an account?
Daniel_Bingamon

It would be a good idea, but I've had a difficult time explaining to them about Paypal. I will see can be done.
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Daniel,

Maybe we could send paypal to you and have you collect and pass it on?
Keith
Daniel_Bingamon

Okay,

I'll temporarily take in payments on the raffle and batch mail them to the clinic.

Please don't mix whistle orders with the raffle - it makes things too complicated.

http://www.kingsmills.us/porcupine.htm

The Paypal link is now set up, each raffle entry is $10. Each entry will give you additional raffle numbers (which get mailed out manually as I process them). I have the single raffle entry fixed so that it doesn't charge shipping, let me know if you have any problems with this.

This has really been a learning experience, I gratefully thank Dale for his advice when I spoke to him about this. :o
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Hey Daniel.
It looks like there is a realy good collection of whistles to be had :o
Good luck with raffle.
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel,

Good idea for a good cause. :thumbsup:

I'll send a check to the clinic. :)

After I take some pics for David, I'll send a new O'Brien Maple High D Whistle to you. You can add it to the raffle whistles. I have 2 O'Brien's and 2.5 Thin Weasels so I don't really need another O'Brien or wood whistle right now. I'll let it go to serve a better purpose than filling a spot in my whistle rack.

Best of luck - hope you get a lot of participation,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

You're a good man, Danny Boy!

:thumbsup:
Daniel_Bingamon

Thank you, thank you, I'll put it on the list.

dfernandez77 wrote:Daniel,

Good idea for a good cause. :thumbsup:

I'll send a check to the clinic. :)

After I take some pics for David, I'll send a new O'Brien Maple High D Whistle to you. You can add it to the raffle whistles. I have 2 O'Brien's and 2.5 Thin Weasels so I don't really need another O'Brien or wood whistle right now. I'll let it go to serve a better purpose than filling a spot in my whistle rack.

Best of luck - hope you get a lot of participation,
Daniel_Bingamon

Raffle Status Update

To this date: 19-January-2006 the raffle has received a total of $130 in commitments. Plus $4.35 from where the computer glitch calculated a shipping amount on an entry.

Of those commitments, $74.35 has been received electronically and will be sent to the clinic tomorrow.
Daniel_Bingamon

When you register for the raffle, the feedback form will compose a mail message and call up your email program. Once in there, you have to click 'Send' for it to go through.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Daniel,

It's Friday, a payday for many. For the cost of a Little Black Walton + shipping, folks will help a good cause and have the chance to win a fine whistle. That's a fair shake. :thumbsup:

Do you have an update on the total gifts and pledges to the Clinic?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.