How long?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Moonark Asakura
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How long?

Post by Moonark Asakura »

How long do you practic for? Hours mintues seconds whatever just tell me.
Jumbuk

Re: How long?

Post by Jumbuk »

Moonark Asakura wrote:How long do you practic for? Hours mintues seconds whatever just tell me.
I don't think comparisons are all that useful, because different people have different demands on their time. Over 30 years of playing instruments, I have reaffirmed time and again that the important thing is to keep it regular. If you have a family and a job to attend to, you might only be able to afford 10 or 20 minutes a day. However, if you want to progress, you have to make sure you commit to that 10 or 20 minutes every day without fail.

For the record, my family has grown up (and has families of its own!) but I still have a job and a mortgage and grandchildren to attend to. I would practice about 1 hour a day, with maybe 2 hours (in several segments) on Saturday and Sunday. Add in a regular 3 hour session on Tuesday nights, which is not practice, but is playing time that takes the place of practice for that day.

If I was retired, I would probably practice about 3-5 hours a day (if my wife would let me!).
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Atleast 15 minutes beyond that is up to you.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Unseen122 wrote:Atleast 15 minutes beyond that is up to you.
I'll second that, with a caveat. When 15 minutes every day is not allowing you to make progress, increase the time. For me, 15 minutes is a baseline just to retain skill on an instrument. If I'm needing to keep up on 6 instruments (different flutes and whistles are different instruments, to me) then it's an hour and a half. Any learning of songs or increasing of skill is extra.

When I can't fit it all in, it just means that I'll be spending some remedial time later, which can be fun, too.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Moonark Asakura

Post by Moonark Asakura »

Jumbuk wrote:
Moonark Asakura wrote:How long do you practic for? Hours mintues seconds whatever just tell me.
I don't think comparisons are all that useful, because different people have different demands on their time. Over 30 years of playing instruments, I have reaffirmed time and again that the important thing is to keep it regular. If you have a family and a job to attend to, you might only be able to afford 10 or 20 minutes a day. However, if you want to progress, you have to make sure you commit to that 10 or 20 minutes every day without fail.

For the record, my family has grown up (and has families of its own!) but I still have a job and a mortgage and grandchildren to attend to. I would practice about 1 hour a day, with maybe 2 hours (in several segments) on Saturday and Sunday. Add in a regular 3 hour session on Tuesday nights, which is not practice, but is playing time that takes the place of practice for that day.

If I was retired, I would probably practice about 3-5 hours a day (if my wife would let me!).

Um I was just asking how long you practice for. I think you need to brake what you said down a bit for me cause I'm not understanding it...
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

for me, half an hour a day is the absolute minimum.
shorter than that and I get serious withdrawal symptoms :))
mostly I get to fit in an hour and a half each day in sittings of 45 minutes at a time, sometimes even a bit more if my family lets me.

ahh the time kids are off to school and the SO off to work....
the blessings of a stay at home mom.... :)
housekeeping will wait!

berti
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

Moonark Asakura wrote:Um I was just asking how long you practice for. I think you need to brake what you said down a bit for me cause I'm not understanding it...
Sorry mate. Like I said, about 1 hour per day.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I average about half an hour a day, with some additional spurts here and there. I also try to play the whistle for about 15 minutes or so, just to keep in practice. I put in more time on the weekends. Sometimes I just take a day off.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

I agree with Mitch.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I have a usual schedule of 2 hours a day to practice. The first in the afternoon after work, and before dinner (when my wife is not home yet) and the second in the evening. I try to be done playing by 9:00 so as to not upset the neighbors.
I feel I need at least half an hour each day on my saxophone, and the same on my Seery flute just to keep in shape. Add in gig preparation and just learning more and the time goes fast - and I "jones" if I don't get enough time playing music each day!
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Hi there everybody,

I try to play no less than half an hour everyday, which is certainly poor practice, I know but at least keeps me fit (fit as I can be). I've noticed that just after those first 30 minutes, both the flute and mostly myself play better. Unfortunately some days job keeps my flute apart from me, but I try to make ammends next day. Obviusly from 1 hour up to three at weekends
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
scheky

Post by scheky »

I'm just starting the flute still (working on a strong tone in upper octave and a reliable lower octave), so keep that in mind.

I spend 15 minutes to 20 minutes working on blowing the flute almost daily. Due to a 2yr old son (who MAY be napping when I get home from work) this isn't always practical, but I get 4-5 days a week in.

I spend 20-30 minutes playing my whistle daily (after wife and son are sleeping...I have a very quiet whistle just for this purpose).

About 3 days a week, I play 30 minutes of Concertina (should try to manage more, but my dog howls when I play, so not always practical).

All in all, I get more practice time then most, but that's because I don't sleep much. When I have the skill to play the flute quieter, I'll get more flute time in too.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i just started playing the flute a couple of months ago. when i started, i could only practice in short intervals (usually commercials) i was working on breathing. somedays, i work on just one song, somedays, i work on accompanying my wife on the keyboard, then we'll play for an hour or so. somedays, i work on my goal, being able to just pick up the flute and play a song without having to find the sweet spot. on those days, i play about 10 times for one song or so. somedays, i try to learn a song without sheet music, so i may play a song 20 times or so before i finally figure it out. i wish i had someone to teach me but i don't. i do get feedback from the wife and the dog. the dog likes the flute way better than the pennywhistle but she's really addicted to the keyboards. i do appreciate all the info i get from you folks.
David Levine

FORGET PRACTICE

Post by David Levine »

Don't practise. Just play. Learn to love to play. Then you'll be doing something you love to do.
Stefan Grapelli once said: If I go one day without playing I notice it. If I go two days other musicians notice. If I go three days without playing the audience notices.
If playing the flute doesn't appeal to you as something you love to do -- if 'practice' is drudgery -- then why bother to play?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

The big problem is time. Making enough time can be a trick. I would goof around with the flute all day everyday if I could, especially since I'm starting to get some decent tone out of my Seery, But there are many things in life to keep balanced. I seem to be making pretty good progress with 1/2 to 1 hour sessions.