Suggestions for improving this site

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Suggestions for improving this site

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I know Dale's a busy man, so why not save time by abandoning all efforts to police this board. I'm not in favor of chaos, don't get me wrong. But I'm thinking that it would save Dale time, and maybe it wouldn't result in chaos...not much more, anyway. If people have a fight they'll get over it. If someone is overusing the board for commercial purposes, he or she would only put people off in the long run.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I guess it's just like real life. There's a reason we have to have police. Same thing here, I think. A bunch of people will end up at each other's throats if you don't have some one with authority to enforce the rules. It just seems to be the way it is. Just another point of view.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wanderer »

I personally think non moderation is a bad idea.

In a utopian society, it'd work great. But in real life, you have boors who either don't realize how obnoxious their behavior is, or they (as I suspect) get off on pissing people off and then acting innocent.

In real life terms, think of a certain fiddler we both know, Whit. We can have 10 nice folks, and one real jerk, and what happens? The jerk has a great time and the nice folks all get annoyed. Me, I'd rather exclude the jerks.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

I agree with Wanderer. I can think of many people on the board who are like that.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Many? I can think of very few. Well, everyone's different.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Somebody once provided a link to a music forum that went unmoderated, and after awhile, it was pretty dreadfully chaotic. Blood running in the streets bridle-high on a horse. Cats and dogs living together. Democrats starting wars and and Republicans running naked down alleys, setting fire to stuff. It was awful. Wish I could find it.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, this is one that ninjaaron posted to show us how barbaric they are. I sure couldn't take some of that stuff. It's more like sex and bathroom stuff. Geez. *shudder*
THERE IS OFFENSIVE MATERIAL THERE SO IF YOU LOOK DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... forumid=12
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

I just stopped by to have a look.

They call it "Harmony Central" - gotta appreciate their sense of irony.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Really.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, gee, and here I thought everyone was talking about me. :P
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, gee, and here I thought everyone was talking about me. :P
I thought that, too! :oops:
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Hey Lambchop and Cranberry, you don't need moderation, just arbitration.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

At heart I am an anarchist, but in the real world people are just not equal to conducting themselves with the degree of consideration for others (or even common sense) it would take to make a state of anarchy anything but a nightmare.

I think moderation here is very well judged. Generally unobtrusive and always considered. Bear in mind that we are not always aware of the full story that forms the background to moderators' action.

Recently there have been a few posts here that show some people demonstrably cannot move on or 'get over it'.

I think I can see what perrins57 means, but I'm afraid I reckon we'd be disappointed to find that we just can't behave without the babysitter. ;)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I don't know how the unmoderated sites stay on the air. I don't think anybody has raised this consideration but there could be legal fallout from an unmoderated rumpus (or a moderated one for that matter) so I think it would be dangerous and foolish to host a site without policing it.

This is a very good site on the whole but things do happen and probably a lot more than meets the eye. For my part I've never felt the moderation intrusive. I think I might have had one post deleted in my whole time here as one amongst several that were deleted on a thread that had taken a wrong turn. I honestly can't even remember the reason. I don't even care if it was a good or a bad reason; if you play you have to accept that umpires sometimes make mistakes. This is moderation you barely notice and that is good moderation.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

buddhu wrote:At heart I am an anarchist, but in the real world people are just not equal to conducting themselves with the degree of consideration for others (or even common sense) it would take to make a state of anarchy anything but a nightmare.

I think moderation here is very well judged. Generally unobtrusive and always considered. Bear in mind that we are not always aware of the full story that forms the background to moderators' action.

Recently there have been a few posts here that show some people demonstrably cannot move on or 'get over it'.

I think I can see what perrins57 means, but I'm afraid I reckon we'd be disappointed to find that we just can't behave without the babysitter. ;)
I love it! - An anarchist who likes moderation. Don't tell me, you keep your CD collection in alphabetical order and put the loo seat down? You rebel you - up the revolution.
it would take to make a state of anarchy anything but a nightmare.
I thought that was the idea, or has anarchy become respectible now?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)