Here's one for dulcimers

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Here's one for dulcimers

Post by Flyingcursor »

Oh boy. I get to start the first dulcimer thread. We have a few dulcimer players here. Off hand there's Missy, Chattiekathy, Byll, Brassblower, John(?). And me. I'm certain there are others.

I got to play my mountain dulcimer in public for the first time at last weeks Katrina benefit concert. A blast. I used a small pickup attached with sticky tack. Now I'm addicted to amplification. Because the mountain dulcimer is so quiet it's sometimes difficult to really hear subtle changes in expression. Even harder to practice. With an amplifier those expressions stand out. It's making me a better player.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Noooooo! :o

**Fights temptation**

I am very tempted to try dulcimer, but apart from being a little skint at the moment, I already have more instruments than I have time to practice. They look so intriguing and sound really cool.

Actually the look of the fretting scares me a bit (Huh? Where'd all my semitones go?).
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

In July, I bought my wife a hammer dulcimer from http://www.songbirdhd.com/index.html. I got her the 16/15 Phoebe model. She's a talented musician who has been away from music for a while because of our busy lives. She has really taken to this new instrument. Now we get to play hammer dulcimer and whistle together! Very cool. Only problem now is that she is a much better musician than I and I'm going to have trouble keeping up.

I also have a very nice mountain dulcimer on loan from a friend and a four string "walking dulcimer" I picked up as a lark on eBay recently. So many instruments, so little time....... :)
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I was surprised last March to find out how well pipes and hammer dulcimer go together.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

peteinmn wrote:In July, I bought my wife a hammer dulcimer from http://www.songbirdhd.com/index.html. I got her the 16/15 Phoebe model. She's a talented musician who has been away from music for a while because of our busy lives. She has really taken to this new instrument. Now we get to play hammer dulcimer and whistle together! Very cool. Only problem now is that she is a much better musician than I and I'm going to have trouble keeping up.

I also have a very nice mountain dulcimer on loan from a friend and a four string "walking dulcimer" I picked up as a lark on eBay recently. So many instruments, so little time....... :)
I've got a Songbird. It's a 17/16/8. I like it real well but it's so huge.
I really messed up. At the College Hill festival in Cincinatti a guy was selling a Songbird 12/11 for $200 including a gig bag and stand. I didn't buy it. What a dolt!!!!!!!

Buddu. The typical mountain dulcimer is diatonic. If you play whistle then the concept is similar. You can get them with extra frets and even fully chromatic. I have two and I'm thinking about having one made into a chromatic then use 4 strings instead of 3.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Flyingcursor wrote: I've got a Songbird. It's a 17/16/8. I like it real well but it's so huge.
I really messed up. At the College Hill festival in Cincinatti a guy was selling a Songbird 12/11 for $200 including a gig bag and stand. I didn't buy it. What a dolt!!!!!!!

Buddu. The typical mountain dulcimer is diatonic. If you play whistle then the concept is similar. You can get them with extra frets and even fully chromatic. I have two and I'm thinking about having one made into a chromatic then use 4 strings instead of 3.
Yep, they are a lot less portable than a whistle! Guess who gets to lug the dulcimer, stand and assorted other stuff in and out of the car? My wife now calls me her "roady." :D

Know where I can buy a reasonably priced adjustable height stand?

P.S. Your new avatar is very cool.
missy

Post by missy »

MAW! The site ate my post!!! And it was a nice, long, informative one, too!

Ok - I play both kinds of dulcimer, but I play mountain WAY more than hammered.

For lots of dulcimer related things - check out our website (at bottom of post). Also check out http://www.everythingdulcimer.com if you've not found it yet.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

YAY!!!

I fool around with an Applewood Mountain Dulcimer, but mostly as a chord/percussion instrument. Good times!!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Loads and loads of mountain dulcimer tab:

http://www.alltabs.com/dulcimer_tabs.php

Enjoy! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

I've played mountain dulcimer on and off since the '70s. I love the drones.

Bill, see if you can find an album by Sean MacAloon (sp?) - its was recorded in the late '60s, I think - he plays IP with a hammer dulcimer.
I used to hear tracks firm this on Ciaran Macmahona's RTE show.

brian
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

brianholton wrote:I've played mountain dulcimer on and off since the '70s. I love the drones.

Bill, see if you can find an album by Sean MacAloon (sp?) - its was recorded in the late '60s, I think - he plays IP with a hammer dulcimer.
I used to hear tracks firm this on Ciaran Macmahona's RTE show.

brian
Yes, I have an anthology cd with a few of the MacAloon pipes/hammer dulcimer tracks. I'd really like to get hold of the Joe McHugh/Barry Carroll recording sometime.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

If you come across a source for the McHugh/Carroll recording, I'd like to know about it. While googling for it I came across a long article on the HD in Ireland. It's somebody's thesis.

http://www.corkdulcimerfest.org/Dulcimer_Thesis.pdf
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'm known to play the fretted dulcimer. I have a full-size hourglass dulcimer, with good volume, and I also have Cedar Creek's Dulci-Lin, which is a high octave dulcimer that I love the sound of. I started playing dulcimer along about the same time I took up whistle.
Reasonable person
Walden
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The mountain dulcimer was my primary instrument for 20-odd years. I made and sold them for a few years to suppliment my graduate school stipend, too. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Blue Lion rosewood dulcimer with internal pickup a few years ago, as well as a hummell/humle from Triskelion. Both are very cool.

Any other Kate Price fans out there? Anyone have any of her earlier (pre- The Time Between) recordings? Heck, while we're at it, how about any by Scartaglen?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I love Kate Price! :D

**putting on Ren garb**

So I guess it's a foregone conclusion that I also like Loreena McKennitt, Blackmore's Night, Nightnoise and Ensemble Galilei. :o

I only have one of her albums: The Isle of Dreaming.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo