Advice on visit to Clare

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Theo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Advice on visit to Clare

Post by Theo »

So, it's time for my second visit to Ireland! The first got me hooked on playing tin whistle, imagine what this will do... Anyway, this time I'm going to Ennis. Any advice on what things to see, what tourist traps to avoid, and especially where to find good sessions would be greatly appreciated :) I'm probably just going to listen, seeing how my measly one year of playing tin whistle is not going to do me much good in actually participating! But I'll bring my whistle along nonetheless.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Dunno what your housing preferences are but I've stayed at the hostel in Ennis twice and it's quite nice.

http://www.abbeytouristhostel.com/

I actually had a 'stairwell session' there one evening with a couple of musicians I met in Ireland, one was from America and played whistle and the other was Welsh and played melodeon - Irish and Cajun styles.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

My favorite County! (Wouldn't have much to do with the fact that my grilfriend is from there :).

Ennis is a beautiful town, and there are many sessions to be found. Cruiser's is a very good place to start. You'll want to head to the Burren, of course, and see the Cliffs of Moher (lots of tourists, but a must see). After that, drive out to Loop Head (to me, more impressive than the cliffs and fewer tourists) .You may want to avoid Bunratty Castle and the Folk parkas they are VERY touristy, but there are some nice shops across the street.

Quinn Abbey is a good thing to see as well. Not too many tourists there, as I recall.

For old, old, old history, the Craggaunowen is pretty cool. We were there before tourist season, so there was no one around. Could be a different scene if it is mobbed with busses. It's at least amusing to see the Irish, with absolutely no proof, try to convince you that Saint Brendan was the first European to set foot in America. There is a neat replica of the boat he allegedly used to cross the Atlantic.

There are tons of things. I'll have to ask my girlfriend for more input on the more obscur stuff, as I can't remember it all. When are you heading over?
Theo

Post by Theo »

avanutria: Yeah, that's the place we're staying. Good to know in advance that it's a nice place! :)

Fishie: Thanks for the advice, we'll be certain to keep it in mind. Sounds like it shouldn't be at all hard to find a good session, like in Dublin! We'll be there from thursday 27th of october till the next monday. A bit short, but hey, you can't have it all.

Two weeks early for the Ennis Trad Festival, but we had already booked by the time they announced their date :(
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Don't forget a visit to Custy's Music!

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6e7f9/48402/c/
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

O.K., Girlfriend says to visit East Clare (she's from the Scariff area). Visit:
"...Mountshannon, Kilaloe, Ogonelloe and all around the Lough Derg area is beautiful."
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I'd say if you stay in Clare, definitely check out the coast areas and towns. For example, Kilrush, even though it is kind of a touristy town, it is cool to go around in. The Atlantic Ocean is very beautiful. If you head over near Miltown Malbay, drive by Spanish Point, which is a beautiful beach. Not really sure how good the weather will be though, since we were there only during the few warm days around Willie Week.

And of course, go to the Burren, it is amazing. If you want to head a tad bit north, Kinvara is a town just inside Co. Galway slightly NE of the Burren that is pretty cool too. I guess Kevin Burke used to frequent Kinvara, but I don't know if he does anymore. There is also a cool little music shop in Kinvara, nice stores, and a pretty harbor. It may be worth like a day or half-day trip.

Clare is one of my favorite parts of Ireland.

Hope this helps. :D

-Casey :)
Life is good.
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

dyersituations wrote: And of course, go to the Burren, it is amazing. If you want to head a tad bit north, Kinvara is a town just inside Co. Galway slightly NE of the Burren that is pretty cool too. I guess Kevin Burke used to frequent Kinvara, but I don't know if he does anymore. There is also a cool little music shop in Kinvara, nice stores, and a pretty harbor. It may be worth like a day or half-day trip.
When we were in Ireland three years ago we spent a couple of nights in Kinvara. Great town with a picturesque castle on the other side of the harbour. There is a pub called Winkles that had a session with 8-10 folks playing. I sat in on a few songs that I knew; they were a friendly bunch. I rember the group included a couple from Boston, MA, who were spending a few months in the country studying traditional music.
BAR
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

If you are staying in Ennis you certainly should check out the schedule at Glor performing arts center. Glor is a wonderful place dedicated to the traditional arts of county Clare. It is just a few minutes walk from your hostel. When I was in Ennis two years ago for the Fleadh Nua Glor was one of the main sites for musical performance.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

barbuck wrote:
dyersituations wrote: I rember the group included a couple from Boston, MA, who were spending a few months in the country studying traditional music.
Wouldn't that be great to do...
Theo

Theo

Post by Theo »

Whoa, thanks for the advice everyone! I'm looking forward to this trip now more than ever :)